It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2004, 10:25 PM   #1

lil'momma HB User
baby spitting up alot

my 4 month old baby is spitting up alot. I feed him 4 oz. every 3 hrs. He usually gets about 6 bottles , a total of 24 oz. a day. could this be to much for him? He doesn't get fussy or anything like that so it couldn't be that it is upsetting his tummy. He does poot alot and sometimes his stools are a little loose but I wouldn't really say that it was watery though. He acts fine except that. One day he will spit up so much(usually after eating) I have to constantly change bibs and clothes, and the next day he may only spit up just a teeny bit barely nothing at all. Is this normal or could it be his formula? this is every other day usually, sometimes more.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2004, 04:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

MandyAnne26 HB User
Re: baby spitting up alot

if he's not fussy than i wouldn't worry, if it were his formula he'd probably have an upset tummy. Some kids just spit up more than others. What you can try to do if your not doing it already is burping him half way through his bottle. It may just be he's taking in too much air. If you are concerned just ask his doctor about it at the next visit, but i'd say he's probably fine.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2004, 09:29 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

littleone314 HB User

Austin does the exact same thing!!! He started that around 3 months. His doctor wasn't to concerned about him loosing weight due to spitting up but he did montor it closely. One thing that might help is he ws put on Enfamil A.R. which is specifically desiged for spit up babies. Before changing formulas speak to his doctor about it first. It has helped Austin a lot!! He still spits up occasionally not nearly as bad. His ped. said that some babies are just "spitters". It really isn't anything to worry about unless he is in pain or is loosing weight/not gaining!

Old 02-14-2004, 10:04 PM   #4
Veteran

ABC~Mom HB User

when i was a baby i spitt up alot and had an upper gi done and they discovered that the flap in my throat that keeps food down had never grown! so i ended up in childrens hospital for a while
my daughter is 4 months and just had her formula switched becuase she is spitting up alot and even on the new formula she is spitting alot...so her ped. is setting up an upper GI in a week or so...
talk to his doctor.....be safe...good luck

Old 02-15-2004, 07:13 PM   #5

HappyMama HB User

My daughter spit up sooooo much. I have a whole stack of burp rags from those days. We went through sooooo many outfits and bibs. At 4 months, my pediatrician recommended that I start her on cereal b/c she wasn't gaining much. Giving a little rice cereal after her breastfeeding made the milk stay down her more. It was about 6 months until she finally stopped spitting up.

Old 02-15-2004, 10:34 PM   #6
Veteran

ABC~Mom HB User

i tried the cereal too but then i ended up with a highly constipated baby from the added iron...darned if ya do darned if ya dont

Old 02-18-2004, 02:00 PM   #7

pdn HB User

hi you momies of spitteruppers!!!!!
my last child who is now 3 was a spitterupper!!!!!!He was terrible it got a little better
when we switched to low Iron but man would he upchuck!!Ialways wondered how he even gained weight it seemed like he spit up more than he took in.he was constantly
spitting up!!!!!!!!!!!!It didn't stop till We took him off the bottle a little before he was a year old.We had him checked over becuse our daughter had a reflux problem but they found nothing like that with him.when ever we went anywhere we had a suitcase!!!

Old 02-18-2004, 04:57 PM   #8
Senior Veteran

littleone314 HB User

Pdn..it shocked me as well as Austin's dr.'s because he has gained weight so well despite how much he spits up. We go through so many bibs and outfits a day it's like I do nothing but wash clothes lol!!

Old 02-20-2004, 06:09 PM   #9
Veteran

ABC~Mom HB User

my daughter has only gained 2 oz in the past week isnt that a little under what it should be?and at at 17 weeks of age only weighs in at 11 lbs 14 oz with a diper on (i know some babies who weighed more than that at birth!)

Old 02-21-2004, 10:52 AM   #10
Senior Veteran

littleone314 HB User

Hmm...it all depends on how much she weighed at birth, her past weight record, etc. Has her dr. plotted her on the weight chart yet? If I were you I would call the dr. and speak to a nurse if you can and tell her your concerned. Have you stressed to him already about her spitting up? What did she/he tell you?

Old 02-21-2004, 12:04 PM   #11
Veteran

camden HB User

My son did the same thing! I became worried when he seemed to be throwing up the whole bottle so I took him to the doctor. I was a little worried when the doctor weighed him and he hadn't gained in the past week since I had him weighed last(he was almost 4 wks at this point and they usually gain quite quickly at this stage). He was 13 lbs(9lbs 2oz at birth) at this point and most people would think that that is big, but it was the fact that he quit gaining that worried me.

The doctor said to feed him smaller amounts and burp for longer which angered me because if I were to do as he suggested it would take me almost two hours to feed him and I likely would have been feeding him all day! I was told that if he was still doing it within a couple of weeks I would be referred to a pediatrician. The doctor wasn't worried because my son was not projectile vomiting.

That night I could not get my son to take his bottle as he was lethargic at this point. We decided to pack up and take him to the hospital(had to carry him on my lap because he kept vomiting and choking). After doing x-rays and ultrasounds they discovered that he had pyloric stenosis(a blockage that keeps food from exiting the stomach to the small intestines) and needed surgery. I was a couple of days before they could go ahead with the surgery as they had to rehydrate him. It was not a fun time, they had to poke him several times trying to start and IV because they couldn't get one started in his dehydrated veins. The surgery itself is quite routine in most hospitals and it went great. We had to stay in the hospital for a few days to make sure he was eating properly and keeping it down and we had to introduce the formula slowly which made him cry as he was still hungry but he was only allowed a set amount. He still spit up after the surgery (probably more than most babies) but he was gaining weight. He is now a healthy 7 yr old.

My daughter also spit up alot of formula. We never burped her without a bib or blanket held under her mouth. I wouldn't burp her on my shoulder because it would run off og the blanket and onto myself. I believe that she had the same thing as her brother but instead of the opening being completely closed off it was still open for the most part. Since she was still gaining weight I never bothered taking her to the doctor for it as I was afraid he would want to do surgery and I have heard that if the pyloric stenosis isn't too severe, they will out grow it by 18 mths and sure enough that was about the time she quit.

You can only imagine what my carpets looked like! I was constantly cleaning up spit up off the floor because once they are mobile it isn't so easy to control when and where it will happen.

Keep and eye on your childs weight and alertness. If you feel something's wrong go with your gut. It wouldn't hurt to have her checked out. Also watch for signs of dehydration such as sunken soft spot, sunken eyes and dry wrinkled skin.

Old 02-21-2004, 06:52 PM   #12
Veteran

ABC~Mom HB User

her weight when we left the hospital a day after she was born was 6 lbs exactly. she was born at 36.6 weeks (so a day shy of 37 weeks) considered healthy and sent home 24 hours later...i had her put on isomil soy based w/h iron, which constipated her and her doc said try juice, well that helped for a while but then she started her spit up routine and the constipation eventually came back, so i switched pediatritions and the new one switched her formula to simalac alimentum, well the constipation is gone, but the spit up is still here and the ped. had schedueled a upper GI for march 1st.....so what do you guys think? she gained pretty steddy in the begginging but then since the spitting up came along there has been little weight gain...

Old 02-21-2004, 07:28 PM   #13
Senior Veteran

littleone314 HB User

Winnie...I think you are doing all that you can. I still say that the Enfamil A.R. worked great for Austin. The upper G.I. will tell you a lot more. If your mommy instincts tell you something needs to be done before then...call your dr. and tell them you want her to be seen as soon as possible. Like mentioned before, check her soft spot to make sure it isn't sunken in, check her mouth to see if it's still moist, watch for frequent wet diapers, press on her nails to see if it quickly turns back to the original color, and if she is crying tears yet see if she still is producing tears.

If you notice these symptoms, no wet diapers, sunken soft spot, no tears, dry mouth take her to the E.R. if your ped. won't do anything about it now.

Last edited by littleone314; 02-21-2004 at 08:40 PM.

Old 02-21-2004, 08:21 PM   #14

lil'momma HB User

thanks for all the replies. I just took my baby to have his shots and the dr. said his weight gain and soft spot and all that looks good. He did say to try putting him on regular simlac than the simlac advance I use now or either enfamil. He also told me to try just letting him sit up before I change and burp him. I will try that until next week when I finish using all the formula I have already opened before I switch him.

Closed Thread