It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2004, 10:40 PM   #1

lil'momma HB User
starting baby on cereal and solids?

At what age did you all start your little ones on cereal and baby food?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2004, 04:08 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

MandyAnne26 HB User
Re: starting baby on cereal and solids?

4 months for cereal and apple juice watered down by half (i gave little sips with the cereal). I started veggies at 5 months and fruits at 6 months. Some doctors have diff rules about when to start what, like start fruits and veggies at the same time. The only thing you need to be careful of is starting only one new thing at a time (no fruit or veggies mixes or mixed cereal) that way if your baby turns up alergic to something you'll know what it is, feed the same food for 2-3 days so you can be sure there will be no reaction. Also, not everybaby is ready for solids at 4 months, if your baby won't take the cereal don't worry, wait 2 weeks and try again, just keep doing that utill the baby is ready.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2004, 07:07 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

bren7 HB User

My son refused to take me at 4 months old, he arched his back and screamed, ok I can take a hint. So I put him on the bottle, 2 weeks later, his ached his back and screamed, he was done with the bottle. I started him on solid foods then, cereals and jar foods.

My daughter I put a little cereal in her bottle at about 4 months. She didn't start solids though until she was closer to 6 months.

Old 02-13-2004, 07:56 AM   #4

junebug2068 HB User

Hi, I have 5 daughters. With the first one I "went by the book" (back then anyway) and started her on rice cereal at 4 months. The next three were probably around 4 or 5 months. But the last one I soley breastfed and didn't start her on solids until she was a good 6 months.

There is no need to rush into solid foods. People seem to be in such a hrry to do that! Their little tummys aren't made for that real early. It doesn't hurt to wait until 6 months...unless you've really got a baby who is hungry or ready for solids. Babies have that reflex of sticking their tongue out to push things out of their mouth if they need to, when that reflex is gone you can give them solids. Also when they are sitting up well on their own it is time.

That's my "professional" opinion.

Old 02-13-2004, 09:37 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

littleone314 HB User

I started at around 4 1/2 months. I basically took the hint from Austin when he started showing intrest in what we were eating. He was diagnosed early with acid reflux and was told by the ped. to start him on cereal a little early however, (I was warned of the possible effects of starting solids to early) I waited untill 4 months. When we just started him out on the solids we offered him w/ the cereal for the first week. The second week was bananas or something. Make sure that when you offer him something new wait a week or so to see if he has an allergic reaction to the food. That way you can pin point exactly what it is.

Old 02-15-2004, 10:51 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

babygrant HB User

I started Austin on cereal at 3 1/2 months. Spoon fed. Until he was 4 months he only had cereal twice though because he kept pushing it out so I just tried the next week. Now he has ceral about 5 days a week and doesn't push any of it out. I will start veggies at 6 months and fruits a few months after that.

Angela

Old 02-16-2004, 08:10 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Sherri-Lynne HB User

My daughter started her soilds at 4 months with cereal but did not like it. We kept trying but she just wouldn't eat it. Finally I gave her peas and she loved them. Still she will not eat cereal but she will eat everything else.

Old 02-20-2004, 10:53 PM   #8
Veteran

ABC~Mom HB User

i am starting solids (my daughter had been on cereal since she was less than 2 months old! cause of the spitting up (and they think) reflux and because ol' mom needed to get some sleep at night! but she hates vegges! she absolutly refuses them, she will only eat fruit and fruit alone...

Closed Thread