It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2004, 05:52 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

TeTr01 HB User
Toddler Bed

Toni has recently learned to climb out of her crib. She is 2 years & 4 months old, so this morning I ordered her a Spongebob Toddler bed (b/c he is her fave!) & it should arrive here next Tuesday. Now, I know that every child is different, but I am just curious for those of you who have done this before how it went for your toddler. Did they like the bed over the crib & stay in it thru the night or were they constantly getting up & out of the room? See, Toni's room doesn't have a door & the doorway doesn't allow for us to put one up - so I am thinking that a good, sturdy gate will be ok to put up there in case she does get up a night. Her room is right next to ours, so if she calls for us we can hear here just fine.

Thanks for any help, pointers or advice!

Old 02-16-2004, 06:35 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommyof4 HB User
Re: Toddler Bed

I have 2 in toddler beds and one still in a crib!!LOL What worked best for me was to stay in there with them until they went to sleep at first. They took about a week to get used to the toddler bed. I also got really organized with their bedtime routine so they were more relaxed.

I totally recommend the gate! Mine were scared with the door shut anyway. It allowed them to have light and not be afraid but kept them from roaming the house in the middle of the night. Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2004, 12:53 PM   #3

pdn HB User

hi as a mother of 2 ~my youngest is 3 he was trying to get out of his crib at 11 mo.
So by a year he was in a regular bed~we bought a side rail for the bed and he was just fine.We did not shut his door or put a gate up we put a lamp in the hallway and to this day if he wakes up at night he comes straight into our room.WE both have laid in with him at night I even did when he was in his crib!!
So iam sure it will be fine and our kids loved getting a new bed!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-19-2004, 04:22 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

TerryB HB User

We made a celebration out of it and both of my children made the transition nicely. They liked moving to a "big girl bed". Later, they did (and still do) wander out and to my room when they are frightened but I don't mind so long as it doesn't become a habit. Terry

Old 02-19-2004, 08:08 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

TeTr01 HB User

Thanks everyone! LOL pdn, same thing with me! I climb in the crib with her before bedtime to read stories. Unfortunately, I think that's where she picked up the climbing out part - b/c of how I climb in & out by just swinging my leg over the side. Too bad, but I think she will like her new Spongebob bed - he is her fave cartoon character !

Old 02-29-2004, 12:16 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

TeTr01 HB User

Well, her bed came in last week... but unfortunately it was missing a tiny lil piece! So I had to call the place & they are going to send te piece out tomorrow & hopefully we will get it soon b/c she wants her bed sooooo bad now that she's seen it! I am really happy that she wants it & hope the transition will work out good. But, I will have to let you know how it goes when it does.

Old 02-29-2004, 05:43 PM   #7

kfs333 HB User

When my daughter turned 2, we changed her crib into a toddler bed ( it converted ) and she was fine with that. I put a chair ( the back of it ) by the head of the bed to make sure if she rolled, she wouldn't fall. The problem came when she turned 3 and we switched her from toddler bed to a regular daybed. She had a fit when we took down the crib/ toddler bed. She wanted me to put her toddler bed back up. It didn't help that the day the bed was put up she decided to stand up and jump on the bed and fell and hit her head giving herself a nice little bump. I quickly told her that jumping on the bed was a major no-no . It took about a week before she was over not having the toddler bed. I would have left the toddler bed up longer if she had a bigger room.

Old 03-02-2004, 08:27 AM   #8
(female)

curious1979 HB User

My daughter has been in her toddler bed since she was 22 months. She would attmept to climb out of her crib, so I didn't want to take the chance of her falling. She loved the fact that she could climb in and out of her bed with out help, and whenever she choosed to do so. She now does not want to sleep in her bed since we no longer give her her passy. She has been sleeping with me and DH since then..a couple of weeks. Once she stops asking for it, we are going to get her sleeping in her own bed again. (she is 23 months now) I am sure your daughter will be fine adjusting...especially if SPONGEBOB is with her!! One thing that concerns me is no door. You said you were going to put up a gate...if she can climb out of the crib...surely she can climb over a gate. Just something to think about. Best of luck!

Old 03-02-2004, 06:17 PM   #9
(female)

jboon HB User

My daughter switched from a crib to a toddler bed when she was 2, though she had never climbed out of her crib (our son was born so he got the crib). In fact, I still remember that the first two weeks she was in her toddler bed she would call for me in the mornings to get her out of it--too bad that habit didn't last!

Closed Thread