It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2004, 02:10 PM   #1
Senior Veteran

coppertop HB User
Meal time woes...

Okay, I have a very picky 4 year old son. He could practically live on pb&j sanwiches and yogurt. Today I made him a baked potato and put *5* (small) green beans on his plate. I told him he didn't have to eat it but when he gets hungry thats all he gets and don't ask for anything else.

Now, am I wrong to try to make him eat stuff he doesn't want? Should I just give him food I know he will at least eat? Its so frustrating because now he is teaching my 2 year old to be picky.

ANY advice would be so welcome.

Last edited by coppertop; 02-21-2004 at 02:11 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2004, 08:26 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

mommajessibelle HB User
Re: Meal time woes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by coppertop
Okay, I have a very picky 4 year old son. He could practically live on pb&j sanwiches and yogurt. Today I made him a baked potato and put *5* (small) green beans on his plate. I told him he didn't have to eat it but when he gets hungry thats all he gets and don't ask for anything else.

Now, am I wrong to try to make him eat stuff he doesn't want? Should I just give him food I know he will at least eat? Its so frustrating because now he is teaching my 2 year old to be picky.

ANY advice would be so welcome.
hey coppertop I deal with this same thing every day. I have 3 children 5, almost 4 and almost 2. my youngest weighs in at 25lbs my middle child is 38 and my 5 year old is weighing in at 30 lbs. My oldest is very very picky and always has been. When she started eating baby food she would only eat veggies wouldnt eat meat or fruit. Now at 5 I am finding it very hard to get her to eat anything. She refuses to eat any meat except breakfast porkchops (thinly sliced pork chops) and salsbary (sp) steaks. for veggies it is corn and mashed potatos and thats it. I think she too would live on pb&j sandwiches if I would let her. I talked to her dr and he suggested that I give her the same thing that everyone else is eating and if she doesnt eat dont give her anything else. I thought this seemed very cruel at first,but, after about 2 weeks she has started eating what we eat. She doesnt eat all of what she is given but it is slowly getting better. I think it is worth a try for your child. I hope it works out for you and your child best of luck

mother of 3
Melissa 9, Brandon 8, and MaeLynn 6

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2004, 10:11 PM   #3
Veteran

ABC~Mom HB User

well i was once forced to eat carrots when i was in grade school and i gagged and almost pucked on the teachers foot....to this day i can not stand the sight of a carrot...i was a picky eater as a child too but no one ever forced me to eat anything...i would eat cereal...i ate it 4 times a day sometimes....when everyone else ate diner i had cereal...
but now as an adult i cant hardly find a food i really dislike (except carrots )
my fiance was also never made to eat things he didnt want to eat as a child, and we both agree that we will not force foods on our daughter when she is eating "grown up" foods, even as a 4 month old she hates veggies so i simply dont give them anymore. you siad your child likes yogurt...that is quite healthy and provides calcium which is great for his growing bones, and the peanut butter in the pb&j's offer protien good for musle development....
i say take his favorite foods and offer them in new ways...what about celery dipped in peanut butter, or maybe yogurt mixed in with some sliced apples/grapes (whatever fruit he likes)
another thing that works on lots of children, offer rewards for trying a new food...this positive reinforcement (i feel) works better than the negative reinforcement such as "eat this or nothing else."
just my opinion

Last edited by ~Winnie~; 02-21-2004 at 10:13 PM.

Old 02-22-2004, 08:43 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

coppertop HB User

Thanks ladies for the insights. Winnie, what you say makes great sense the only problem is with three kids (and we want at least one more) what if they all want something different for every meal? I would never forece them to eat anything but, I think I will stick to my policy of "don't eat it, but don't ask for something else". My dh thinks they should always be able to eat fruit instead which I don't have a problem with. Also, I will always try to make sure there is something in the meal they like (chicken, ect.)

Old 02-22-2004, 10:58 PM   #5
Veteran

ABC~Mom HB User

yeah i see your point coppertop and mommajessibelle....i guess i am coming from a "i only have one child who is only 4 months old" side, i do realize you cant make 20 different things for one meal,
and putting something they all like in the meal will probably be the most resonable thing you can do without having a buffet on your table at every meal! LOL good luck ladies...

Old 02-22-2004, 11:09 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommyof4 HB User

Mine are 11, 4, 3, and 19 months. My oldest is the picky one. We finally set up a schedule where if she will eat what I make for 4 nights, she gets to pick what we have on the 5th night. I also make sure the foods that I cook arent way out there. Like vegetables around here consist of peas, green beans, and corn. We splurge and have icky vegetables when the rest of the meal is what she really likes

I also have the rule that you tell me what you want on your plate and how much but if you dont eat it all, you dont get dessert. I am against adults making kids' plates with this rule as it can lead to overeating. For a small child, a tablespoon is a serving so I would pile way too much on there to expect them to eat it. They say "when" within reason and they eat it all.

I also have a rule that they have to have eaten a certain portion of the meal before they get a drink, That may sound cruel but my kids will fill up on Koolaid and then not want to eat only to be hungry an hour later.

My picky eater really is liking the idea of picking what we eat and she is cooperating more now. Good luck to you and I HTH

Old 02-23-2004, 07:25 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

lane71501 HB User

as a child, my mom and dad didn't force me to eat anything. but the rule was i had to try at least one bite. if i didn't like it, that was okay. i try the same thing with my 2 year old. he isn't too picky, but he does go on jags where all he'll eat is grilled cheese and yogurt for a couple of days. i used to worry he wasn't getting enough meat since he only will eat hot dogs, chicken nuggets, and get this fried chicken livers. his ped said he'll eat when he's hungry, don't go out of your way to make him a separate meal, and a one a day vitamin would not hurt.

Closed Thread