It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2004, 08:37 PM   #1

lil'momma HB User
baby cereal and juice question

My baby is now 4 mths. old and his dr. told me to start him on cereal. He said to mix 1/4 c. with 2 to 3 oz. of formula and feed with a spoon. I did just that tonight and it didn't go very well. My baby just kept pushing it back out with his tongue but I don't think he meant to because he actually seemed like he liked it. He kept pushing my hand towards his mouth wanting more but it just kept coming back out. Is there an easier way to do this. I know some people give it in a bottle but how much to mix so it will come out easy? Also he told me to give him about 3 oz. of juice a day and I was wondering if you all buy the larger amt. of juice and put it in the fridge or just buy the individual juice bottles and give it to them at room temp.? My husband worries that in the fride will be to cold.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2004, 08:40 PM   #2

lil'momma HB User
Re: baby cereal and juice question

oops I forgot to ask. How much formula a day should he still be getting now that he will be taking juice and all?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2004, 09:49 PM   #3
Veteran

ABC~Mom HB User

i just put it in a bottle like 4 oz of formula to about 2-3 tsp of rice cereal (but you will need a fast flow nipple)...and i try to give about 2-4 oz of juice a day (although lately my 4 month old is spitting up alot so i stopped the juice for now) and the amount of formula your baby needs depends on your babies nutritional needs, i bet he probably knows best so i would just feed as he wants to be fed, good luck!!!

Old 02-21-2004, 10:29 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

babygrant HB User

I've been told never to give baby cereal in a bottle because of choking issues (although this is a very controversial issue). I know with Austin the first few times he kept pushing it back out, so I would stop and try again in a few days. Now he has cereal 5 days a week and is doing great. It did take him about 5 or 6 times though before he got the hang of it.

Angela

Old 02-22-2004, 09:09 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

mommajessibelle HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil'momma
My baby is now 4 mths. old and his dr. told me to start him on cereal. He said to mix 1/4 c. with 2 to 3 oz. of formula and feed with a spoon. I did just that tonight and it didn't go very well. My baby just kept pushing it back out with his tongue but I don't think he meant to because he actually seemed like he liked it. He kept pushing my hand towards his mouth wanting more but it just kept coming back out. Is there an easier way to do this. I know some people give it in a bottle but how much to mix so it will come out easy? Also he told me to give him about 3 oz. of juice a day and I was wondering if you all buy the larger amt. of juice and put it in the fridge or just buy the individual juice bottles and give it to them at room temp.? My husband worries that in the fride will be to cold.
They actually make a thing called a "feeding bottle" or something like that I used it with all 3 of my kids in the beginning and I got mine at wal mart. I also mixed rice cereal in with their formula as all 3 of my kids had reflux and I used a regular bottle with nipples from the playtex advance bottle it had a cross cut nipple and allowed for the rice to come threw easily but not choke my baby before I found those nipples though I just took a few regular nipples and cut like a X in the nipple that worked too just make sure you dont cut it very big

mother of 3
Melissa 9, Brandon 8, and MaeLynn 6

Old 02-22-2004, 03:05 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommyof4 HB User

I would actually keep trying with the spoon. It is a completely new sensation and texture so it will take a few feedings to get used to it. Then you have to add that their muscles are not that strong when they first start feeding. The act of feeding is what builds those muscles just as much as the act of babbling. I would keep it up with the spoon. Once she starts picking up the food and throwing it... It gets really messy!!!LOL

Old 02-22-2004, 10:43 PM   #7
Veteran

ABC~Mom HB User

mommajessibelle--- i cut the slit in the nipple too, it seems to work the best

mommyof4--- you make a good point,
if your child is sitting upright then i think you should keep trying with the spoon too.

babygrant---my daughters doctor was actually the one to suggest i put cereal in her bottle to help witht the reflux problem since she is not sitting up yet and cant be fed well with a spoon.

Last edited by ~Winnie~; 02-22-2004 at 10:44 PM.

Old 02-22-2004, 11:01 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommyof4 HB User

I just wanted to add that we deal with pretty bad reflux even though he is 19 months old now. We put cereal in the bottle due to reflux at 5 weeks. He had thickened formula since day 1 though since he had swallowing issues.

Just wanted to throw another voice in there to say that cereal before 4 months is sometimes just what the Dr ordered

Old 02-23-2004, 05:55 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

MandyAnne26 HB User

try to water it down more, it should be extremly runny, like a thick soup when you first start it. your baby just needs to learn to swallow, and accept things into his mouth other than a bottle or pacifier. Unless your baby has any medical issues as the other posters babies did than i would keep up with the spoon, he needs to learn to eat with one, some babies just take longer than others.

Old 02-23-2004, 10:02 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

The tongue thrust is sort of a way for babies to protect themselves. From day one, we've had to give our child medicine in order for him to digest his food (formula) -- just a little on a spoonful of applesauce and his tongue would sometimes push it out. Just reflex. Doesn't mean he doesn't like it. You'd KNOW if your child doesn't like the cereal. He or she would clamp their mouth shut or start to fuss.

Closed Thread