It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2004, 08:56 PM   #1
Veteran

ABC~Mom HB User
worried about starting solids to soon

i gave my daughter cereal (and even some baby food fruit) in her bottles really eairly (at about 2 weeks) and juice (on doctors orders) at 2 months...and now at 4 months she is on two types of meds for reflux and spitting up, and is on similac alimentum, and is going for an upper GI in a week or so....i am so scared that all of this is my fault...that i started those foods too soon
i should also mention that as a baby myself i had tons of feeding problems and i am lactose intolerant, and the nurse told me that it can run in families, which make sence because my mom, dad, and grandmother are too...
so could it be an inherited feeding problem?

Last edited by ~Winnie~; 02-21-2004 at 09:29 PM.

Old 02-21-2004, 11:32 PM   #2

tenikah HB User
Re: worried about starting solids to soon

Hi Winnie, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I know its horrible at the time with everything they are going through and tests etc but its amazing what can happen in a years time especially if shes only 4 months. I don't think its wise to give anything but breast milk or formula until they are 3-4 months (some babys are hungry for solids at 2) but you will know as the milk won't be satisfying them anymore. Just keep up what you are doing and things should settle down with time.
Good luch

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2004, 08:04 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

mommajessibelle HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenikah
Hi Winnie, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I know its horrible at the time with everything they are going through and tests etc but its amazing what can happen in a years time especially if shes only 4 months. I don't think its wise to give anything but breast milk or formula until they are 3-4 months (some babys are hungry for solids at 2) but you will know as the milk won't be satisfying them anymore. Just keep up what you are doing and things should settle down with time.
Good luch
Winnie I have 3 children and all 3 of my kids were diagnosed with reflux after doing the horrid upper gi test for me instead of putting them on all the meds that alot of times hardly did anything for my children I started giving them rice cereal by spoon before they took thier bottles at about 1.5 months and i started out giving other baby foods at about 2.5 months it work wonders for the spitting up

mother of 3
Melissa 9, Brandon 8, and MaeLynn 6

Old 02-22-2004, 02:08 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommyof4 HB User

My youngest still has reflux at 19 months. I wish it were as simple as something we did. I agree that the added texture can help with the reflux. I would go ahead and start her on them. This is probably something that she will outgrow but it takes time for all of those muscles to mature enough for the reflx to go away. Good luck

Old 02-22-2004, 09:47 PM   #5
Veteran

ABC~Mom HB User

thanks everyone, i noticed too that the meds are hardly helping...but a little cereal in the bottle does wonders, now just how to get rid of the constipation...

Old 02-22-2004, 09:56 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommyof4 HB User

Have you thought about setting up a schedule using prune juice? You can start out using 1oz in a bottle of formula every other day. If that doesn't help, you can make it 1oz every day. Then you can work your way up until she has looser stools. One good thing about prune juice is that it is natural, its a fruit that they can have at her age, and isnt hard on the system. Just a thought

Old 02-22-2004, 10:01 PM   #7
Veteran

ABC~Mom HB User

thank you...the only problem is (and your never going to believe this) i cant find that juice! lol i have looked at walmart and other places..it is like it has been banned from my city! lol but i am going to try again

Old 02-23-2004, 07:34 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

mommajessibelle HB User

I'm not sure what kind of formula you use but with my first child she had reflux really bad and when i started adding cereal to her bottles then we started fighting with constipation so I switched formulas and found that with her carnation good start didnt cause the constapation even with the cereal added

mother of 3
Melissa 9, Brandon 8, and MaeLynn 6

Old 03-02-2004, 07:42 AM   #9
Inactive

TruthaboutLife HB User

I started my second child on solids really early probably about 2 weeks old if that. She was a big baby at birth (10.8lbs) and therefore wasn't contented with bottles. I think each child is individual and I get really really angry when I see things like "progression charts". It's not something you would dream of doing with an adult but these so called 'experts' time and time again tell us what is and isn't 'normal' for our kids and as mothers we end up feeling guilty over every little thing that happens.

Old 03-02-2004, 02:36 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

Add prunes to her diet.

Old 03-02-2004, 09:07 PM   #11
Senior Veteran

littleone314 HB User

I had the same problem finding the prune juice too. I finally found Apple/Prune. I couldn't find just the prune alone. But, when I started that juice I noticed he would usually have a movement later that day or the next. It worked almost instantly. I've heard that warm baths and baby massages help to move the process along. I don't know how true it is but it's worth a shot. Does anyone else notice that their baby is constantly constipated? Austin is....but now that I have put him on a schedule with prunes (I give him prunes either with his lunch or dinner 2-3 times a week) he is alot more consistant.

Old 03-06-2004, 08:04 AM   #12

luvmyboys HB User

I started both my children on cereal at 3 weeks. I added fruits at about 2-3 months and then veggies. To combat constipation I added cereal to their formula and maybe about 1 or 1 1/2 teaspoons of the first foods prunes. Also I used the Mixed cereal with the different grains in it. Rice cereal with constipate them. When they got old enough I did this in a bottle at night and just burnt a bigger hole in the nipple. They loved that nighttime bottle! It satisfied them and gave me lots of cuddle time because they would fall asleep sometimes. They were sleeping through the night by 2 1/2 months and 3 months old. They did still spit up, but my younger one did it a lot. He was still doing it when he was 3 years every time he would bend over or bend at his waist. My youngest is now 6 and still likes to eat the Mixed cereal with milk and applesauce all warmed up. It's really good for them too. I've even tasted it. It's not too bad! They both outgrew the reflux problem though.

Old 03-06-2004, 06:53 PM   #13
Veteran

ABC~Mom HB User

thanks luvmyboys that makes me feel better
and littleone i have tried apple prune and had good luck with it!

Old 03-06-2004, 06:57 PM   #14
Senior Veteran

littleone314 HB User

winnie...funny thing about the juice...Austin LOVED it when he was 4 or 5 months old and now that he is a almost a year he refuses to drink any flavored juice. Go figure...lol

Old 03-08-2004, 07:09 AM   #15

luvmyboys HB User

Figure this one out! My oldest son loved his bottles of milk. Once I started switching him to a sippy cup with milk, he refused to drink anything except water out of a cup. He never liked juice at all. So now he is 8 years old and will not drink milk at all. My younger who is 6 years old, never really cared for anything out of a bottle. He was just too nosy to take time to eat I think. But now he loves milk and all kinds of other flavored drinks and hates water! Talk about two opposite kids. They were fed the exact same way as babies too!

Closed Thread