It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2004, 05:17 PM   #1

TimHeather HB User
My 1 year old just won't listen

My son just turned 1. He is very active. He started to walk just after nine months. He always wants to jump on the couch and stand on the coffee table. I am aways telling him no, picking him up and giving him something to do. But he just doesn't care. He wants to play on them. One day he went on the couch and he fell off and hit his head real hard. I am running out of idea's to teach him that the furniture is off limits. It's just not safe for him to play on them and I can't seem to get it through his head. He is a very smart little boy and is well behaved, I just can't get him to stop with this furniture thing. Anything else you tell him no and he listens so I don't know what to do. Any suggestions would be great, Thanks,,,,Heather,,,,,

Old 02-25-2004, 08:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

GirlHarley HB User
Re: My 1 year old just won't listen

Maybe something safe that he can jump on that's his very own?
Like a bean bag? Then explain no no on couch this is where we sit nice?
You have an active boy who wants to play & jump..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2004, 03:12 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

MandyAnne26 HB User

I would suggest what the other poster did, find something safe for him to climb on. When my son was that old i had the same problem, i got him a little tykes play area, it was something he could climb on, and had a slide, you can get little play areas now, so that if you have a big enough living room or even a play room you could put it in there. You can get an age approprite one for him and then when it warms up move it outside, by then he should be old enough to understand that the furtinture is not a playground.

Old 04-14-2008, 04:33 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Heavnlyhart2 HB User

tell him no with a stern voiceonce if he does it again then put him in his playpen and let him know that he is in timeout for jumping on the furniture I said no and I mean NO...for 1min then take him out if he does it again do the same thing again

Old 04-14-2008, 08:31 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

mcr285 HB Usermcr285 HB User

where i agree with all the posters here, i agree most with heavenlyhart2. everyone is right, your baby needs something safe he can jump/climb on.... but he also needs to learn that NO means NO! with mine, i would do pretty much what heavenlyhart2 said, and put them in time out when they broke the rules. it takes some time and a lot of effort at first, to really ignore the screaming tantrums when they got thrown in the play yard for time out, but after about a week, they started responding when i said NO! good luck!

Old 04-14-2008, 08:53 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Heavnlyhart2 HB User

Here is another tip....that I use to do .....it may sound funny but you have to because this is what your child sees so you have to see yourself the same way that your child sees you....which is when your kids are in bed sleeping go into the bathroom stand in front of the mirror work on that stern voice by simply saying NO and watch your facial expressions to where your serious look matches your stern I MEAN IT voice it will make all the difference in the world with your child too. But if you ever remember when your dad had that look and the tone of his voice that is what us mothers have to do find ours....just like that cause when dad spoke we listend right??
Also the less you say the better effect you will have to with your child you have to be blunt and direct and really consistant and follow thru with what you say which is also the best way to keep it short and to the point don't ramble by going into too many details this just confuses them.
good luck....hope this helps like it did me....

Closed Thread