It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-29-2004, 07:14 PM   #1

c8cristy HB User
8 Year old pucking....... in morning?

Hello everyone, I need some help here...my daughter is 8 and for the as long as I can remember once in awhile (once or twice a month), she will wake up and say that her stomach hurts, and then most often proced to vomit. After a few episodes of this she is just fine say around noon. This takes place no matter the day of the week, or what ever might be going on.

I have heard that it could be Acid reflex.?, Sensitive stomach, does anyone have any ideas.

She is not in anyway stressed with life, or school at all..... I am now beginging to log what she eats the day before she has this problem to try to eliminate anything that might be food related and she is not lactos anything that we know of nor does she drink or eat a lot of dairy.....

Please help....

Old 02-29-2004, 08:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommyof4 HB User
Re: 8 Year old pucking....... in morning?

It sounds like reflux as laying down makes things so much worse. My son has GERD and we have this same problem. He is on Zantac for it and it has really helped. Good luck to you in finding an answer

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-29-2004, 09:47 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

tinkers HB User
Smile Re: 8 Year old pucking....... in morning?

My 7 year-old cousin is also like this. I forget which pill she is taking for her acid reflux. She has been this way since she was born. Last week she went for an Upper GI. But I don't know her results. I think that some children just have a sensitive stomach. I know that sometimes as they get older, they can out-grow it. Hopefully, your child will.

----------------------
Courtney 8
Brendan 4
Garrett, born Feb. 9th, 2004

Old 03-01-2004, 06:49 PM   #4

c8cristy HB User

thanks you two.... I did talk with the Dr's nurse today and she said it is most likley something like acid reflex to give her some malox in the pm and in the am. watch what she eats and if it continues to presist they will do more test such as a upper GI.?

so if anyone else has more imfo please give...thanks

Old 03-01-2004, 08:38 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommyof4 HB User

Wow... My son is going in for an Upper GI tomorrow as he has speech issues along with oral motor issues with his reflux. He has had one before so I kind of know what to expect. I am nervous none the less.

It is a very simple test but one that isnt any fun. They have you sit up and drink a barium liquid. Barium tastes chalky so I imagine your daughter will hate it Then, they have you sit up straight and use equipment to see what is going on with the digestive tract and swallowing mechanisms. It shows them how they swallow, how long it takes to get to the stomach, is there any reflux, etc. The entire tests takes about half an hour.

The Maalox is great as it coats the esophagus and helps with reflux. I wish you the best of luck

Old 03-02-2004, 06:36 PM   #6
(female)

jboon HB User

My son had all kinds of eating problems when he was young. He had cyclic vomiting syndrome caused by a delayed pattern food allergy. Instead of having an immediate reaction to the food to which he was allergic, if it was consumed consistently over a period of time, it would basically build up in his system until it became "toxic" and then, for X number of days he would vomit to expel the allergin. Then the cycle would begin again. For him, he would get ill every 10-12 days (like clockwork) and vomit for 2-3 days, then he would be fine for another 10-12 days, and the cycle would begin again. In addition, he had reflux, an undeveloped soft palete, a hyper-sensitive gag reflex, and a "true" food allergy. Test-wise, he had allergy testing (skin and blood)--though with delayed pattern food allergy those two tests will not detect the allergic food, an endoscopy (to check for eosinophils which can detect a true food allergy), ENT-type tests, a barium swallow (which he didn't mind at all--they soaked Cheerios with barium to watch him eat and mixed the barium with formula to watch him drink), and several other tests I can't now recall. It turned out our son was allergic to soy protein--formula was actually making him sicker though we didn't know it. Anyway, he's now a teenager and you'd never know he spent his first two years of life quite sick. He doesn't knowingly eat soy products (with his type of allergy he can intermittently or in small amounts consume the allergin) and has a good excuse for never becoming a vegetarian. If you have any questions about it all, feel free to ask. Living with a chronically ill child can be tolling on a family. My best wishes to you.

Closed Thread