It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2004, 08:30 AM   #1
(female)

curious1979 HB User
No More Pacifiers!

Ladies, I have a sure fire way to get your little one to stop taking the pacifier. Each day, cut a tiny little piece off of the tip. Each day the nipple gets a little smaller...your child WILL NOT like the feel of it in their little mouth and will stop taking it. I tried this with my 23 month old, and she stopped with it at day 1. Just a suggestion. Try it. It will work.

Old 03-03-2004, 07:41 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Sherri-Lynne HB User
Re: No More Pacifiers!

Isn't that unsafe? I mean what if then when they put it in there mouth a part of the silicone comes apart?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2004, 08:39 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommyof4 HB User

I thought the same thing. At almost 2 years old, they can bite at the remaining nipple and choke on it. What worked for us was to cut the nipple completely off. Then when they picked them up, they would see that they were "broken" and throw them away themselves. We told them that once a binky get's old, it breaks and we have to throw it away. We just never bought new ones. This was great with 2 of my children and it didn't pose a choking hazard.

Old 03-04-2004, 08:34 PM   #4
Veteran

ABC~Mom HB User

my mom did the cut a little piece off at a time with me when i was a little one and i guess it worked but it is really a chocking hazard, and my daughter sucks her thumb and i am realizing that i cant just take that away later, so any suggestions for that?

Old 03-04-2004, 08:49 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommyof4 HB User

Nope, no advice on that one!!!LOL Garrett is almost 2 years old and sucks the two middle fingers of his right hand. He does this to the extreme that the fingernails have lifted. I try to keep them cut short as he has eczema so when people ask why he only has half a fingernail on those two fingers, I have to tell them that he still sucks them.

So, I am also asking... Anyone know how to get them to stop sucking on their fingers.. Or thumbs?

Old 03-04-2004, 09:37 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

littleone314 HB User

That's funny because when I was little I sucked the two middle fingers on my my right hand. I have never heard of anyone else doing this before. Unfortunantly, I stopped sucking my fingers when I was maybe 8 or 9. I know..I know...I should have stopped sooner but they were my security blanket. I remember one night I forced myself to stop sucking them and I can remember laying there telling myself "you're a big girl..you can do it" and eventually I fell asleep and I didn't suck them ever again. I guess my parents just realized that they couldn't do anything about my fingers and that one day I would eventually quit. Thankfully, I did!

I'm sorry I wasn't of more help but I just wanted to share my story!

Old 03-06-2004, 06:59 PM   #7
Veteran

ABC~Mom HB User

my mom sucked her fingers and my friend did too, my mom said she was catching herself doing it till she was like 12! her mom tried hot sauce on her fingers and everything and nothing worked

Last edited by ~Winnie~; 03-06-2004 at 07:00 PM.

Old 03-12-2004, 06:49 AM   #8
(female)

curious1979 HB User

My daughter chewed through the silicone on her passy BEFORE I cut it. I just snipped a little off and she put it in her mouth...didn't like the feel, and never put it in her mouth again. As for the thumb. A friend of mine said there is this hot sauce called "hell's fire" that you can purchase over the net. (she originally got it for her husband's cooking) Put a tiny tiny dab on her son's thumb (5yrs) and told him NOT to put the thumb in his mouth cause this stuff was HOT HOT. He put it in his mouth and yowza-yowza!! Drank a glass of milk and to this day WILL NOT put his thumb in his mouth.

Old 03-12-2004, 07:15 AM   #9
(female)

Cindy_S74 HB User

My sister bought something called "Thumbs" at WalMart and put on her babies pacifier(3.5 years ago) to get her to give it up and it worked. Well come to find out it is suppose to be used to stop them from sucking their thumbs too.
With my son (now 8.5 years old) I cut the nipple on his pacifier too but he just kept sucking. Everyday I made it a little bigger but he kept sucking anyway so we put it in the garbage one morning because "it was broke" and he never cried for it again and this was when he was only a year old. I now have a 3 month daughter and I wonder if she will be this easy to take the pacifier away too?!?! I hope so.

Closed Thread