It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2004, 08:35 AM   #1
(female)

curious1979 HB User
Thumbs down Potty Training...sigh.

My daughter just turned 23 months. She really has no desire to learn how to use the potty. I put her on and it is like I have to force her to sit...which I know is not good. She goes to the bathroom in her underwear, and does not care that it is in her pants. She doesn't tell me, nor does it effect her in any way. She could go all day with it in there if I let her. I try talking to her and giving her rewards-stickers....but this is not working. She is my first...am I setting my standards too high? I would love to have her trained by summer. Right now she is wearing a diaper.

Old 03-02-2004, 08:54 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

lane71501 HB User
Re: Potty Training...sigh.

hey curious-
my son is almost 3 and still isn't potty trained. other people have told me (including his ped) that he'll do it when he's ready, not me. miracle of all miracles, 2 days ago his daddy had put him in a pair of pull ups when i was out and when i got home he says "look, mommy! I'm wearing big boy pants!" has he gone in the toilet yet? no! but the fact that he was all excited about the pants says something! oh yeah, i should also mention he did go through phases of wanting to sit on the potty.
dont worry! she'll get there!!!!!
laney

Last edited by lane71501; 03-02-2004 at 08:54 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2004, 09:12 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Blastoff9600 HB UserBlastoff9600 HB User

My oldest son was 3 and half when he started really taking to the potty...we had started trying when he was 2 and half because I had a bunch of friends and family push it on me that he should already be trained. I wish we hadnt because even to this day he has accidents and he will be 8 in May. Granted they are not that often but when I talked to his doctor about it he asked when we started potty training and then asked if it was easy at that age. His doctor is pretty sure since we pushed him when he showed no interests could be the reason for the accidents at his age.
My second son just started potty training last week and he is 3 yrs and 3 months old. So far so good considering he is wearing regular underwear and has only had four accidents in that time. This time we decided that we would not do anything until our youngest let us know he was interested. He asked for underwear like his big borther and we told him that he had to use the potty to get underwear like that. So last week he told us he was ready to be a big boy and use the potty.

So yru best bet is to just let things alone and when she is ready she will let you know. Forcing her could make things take longer and only add to your frustration.
TTC #3 since 01/02

Old 03-02-2004, 09:39 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

MandyAnne26 HB User

She's too young, not every 2 year old is ready to be trained....both of my children who are trained (i have an 19month old who is not) weren't ready untill about 2 1/2, i think that some kids are ready at or before 2, they say anywhere from 18months (which i think is a bit early) and 3 years, but every child is different, the most important thing is that you keep it a fun time for her, if you find yourself getting stressed out over it than you should stop for a few days or maybe even a week or two.Also, not all 2 year olds can understand the concept of a sticker chart, try other rewards to see what works best for her. A phone call to a special family member (grandma, daddy or mommy at work etc), a special food that she's normaly not alowed to have, etc. just watch that she doesn't get fustrated, if she does stop again. training can be a very long process, but it doesn't need to be a stressful one, there is nothing wrong with a 2 year old still in diapers. Here are some readiness signs that i copied from a website:
-Stays dry for two hours or during a nap
-Wants wet or soiled diapers changed
-Understands and cooperates with simple directions
- Is interested in the toilet or bathroom
- Indicates the need to go potty with words, posture or facial expression

Old 03-08-2004, 09:01 PM   #5

dentalnitemare HB User

I agree with what everyone else says,give her time.I have a 4 year old,yes 4 that is just now completely potty trained.I didn't think it would ever happen.He would go wee wee in the potty since he turned 3 but wouldn't do the other til here lately.Don't push her,it will pay off in the long run,I worried myself silly about it and like you I had people pushing me to hurry him up,but it doesn't work that easy.Good luck and don't worry yourself so much it will happen when she's ready one day out of the blue.

Old 03-09-2004, 05:53 AM   #6
Inactive

MadSkillzGal HB User

My daughter was a dream to potty train. She just up and decided at around 20 months she would use the loo like other kids and I didn't really have a problem. My son however!!!! I thought he would never train. I think the key is to realize that all kids are different and not to be overly persuasive with them. I've never seen an adult yet wearing pull-ups, so obviously all parents are successful in the end at training their kids!

Old 03-09-2004, 06:52 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

lane71501 HB User

well, kinda disappointed. my almost 3 year old son got really excited when i boughthim "big boy" pants (pull ups with elmo), so he wore them last night. with the diapers he consistantly was staying dry (over the last two weeks) at night. well, wet as a river this morning. (sigh) i guess we'll give it a shot later......it's just me. i need to follow my own advice and just wait til he not only tells me he wants the pants but also will sit on the toilet more consistantly.

Old 03-09-2004, 01:49 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Blastoff9600 HB UserBlastoff9600 HB User

Figured I would throw in an update...since I made my first post my second son has gone accident free for a week now. He decided Sunday night he didnt want to wear diapers to bed anymore and so far has done wonderfully. He has a found a game he likes in that he goes to the bathroom every couple of minutes just to see how long it takes me to get tired of him flushing the potty and running up to me to tell me he has gone again. He even fights with his big brother about who will get to use the bathroom first. Thankfully we have two so the fighting doesnt get to bad..lol
TTC #3 since 01/02

Last edited by Blastoff9600; 03-09-2004 at 01:51 PM.

Closed Thread