It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2004, 02:12 PM   #1
Veteran

pumpkinpatch73 HB User
Cloth diapers

Okay.....I'm seriously considering switching to cloth diapers when Tyler outgrows size one. I do have a small "variety" pack of different cloth diapers, etc. I know that the AIO (all in ones) are the best, but I've also read some reviews that some brands may be AIO's but they're not very good.

I'm not dead set on this decision yet, but I think that I would like to do it. Supposedly you'll save money in the long run - but I'm not sure - being that they're not cheap to buy. (AIO's at least....) Pricing them on ebay, I can get a decent price, but I'd also like to find a store that has them locally. We're going to Babies R Us tonight, but if I remember correctly, they really didn't have much of a selection.

Anyone have any *personal experience* on cloth diapers? (Not the old fashioned ones where we pin them together, etc.....but rather the newer ones that are supposed to be easier/better?)

Old 03-04-2004, 08:16 PM   #2
Veteran

ABC~Mom HB User
Re: Cloth diapers

this is intresting...i have never heard of a "new" type but i would really like to know more about them.
umm i knew a girl who used cloth dipers (the old fashion ones) and she put little rubber pants over them to prevent leaking and it seemed to work out quite well for her.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2004, 11:19 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinpatch73
Okay.....I'm seriously considering switching to cloth diapers when Tyler outgrows size one. I do have a small "variety" pack of different cloth diapers, etc. I know that the AIO (all in ones) are the best, but I've also read some reviews that some brands may be AIO's but they're not very good.

I'm not dead set on this decision yet, but I think that I would like to do it. Supposedly you'll save money in the long run - but I'm not sure - being that they're not cheap to buy. (AIO's at least....) Pricing them on ebay, I can get a decent price, but I'd also like to find a store that has them locally. We're going to Babies R Us tonight, but if I remember correctly, they really didn't have much of a selection.

Anyone have any *personal experience* on cloth diapers? (Not the old fashioned ones where we pin them together, etc.....but rather the newer ones that are supposed to be easier/better?)
Used cloth diapers and loved them. Saved money and landfill space. The stuff that they use in the disposable diapers is toxic.

If you go on the net and search out natural baby products you can find info on the new diapers that fit into these cute little cotton holders, no pins needed.

They cost more. They don't keep the baby as dry. However, you are not exposing your child to the harmful chemicals of the disposable diapers.

There was a strange mass in the road one day, green goo that just kept growing. HAZMAT was called out. It turned out that a case of disposable diapers had fallen off of someone's truck in the rain and they got wet. By looking at the mass no one could tell that it was diapers. True story on the news here in town.

Diaper service will save you about $1,200, and washing your own will save you about $1,800.

Just count the number of times that you change a child a day and add it up. It is amazing how much it costs to use disposables. Sure they are convenient, but they are also not safe.

"Disposable" diapers contain trace amounts of the carcinogen DIOXIN, as well as large amounts of chemicals for absorbency and perfumes. Cloth diapers are natural fibres and, if washed professionally, they will have the proper Ph and no chemical residues.

You can buy cloth diapers with velcro, fitted, ones that come with an outside barrier, all different kinds of cloth, different sizes, etc.

If you search the net you can find everything you need to know about the cloth versus disposable diaper debate

Good luck in your search.

Old 03-06-2004, 09:41 AM   #4

TrippingAsIGo HB User

i used cloth diapers - have 3 children - used them mostly with one - and half the time with #2. i researched them online and bought them from companies online. think you can find better quality than the ones at babies r us but that's just my opinion. if you get the "old fashioned" kind you are talking about - the plain ol' rectangular cotton ones you can use a diaper cover - i found them in all sorts of materials - loved the fleece ones with velcro sides. with that type of cover you don't need pins the tightness of the wrap keeps it together. do research online and you'll see all the different types. i even did the cloth wipes and used a wipes warmer to keep water warm. i liked that cause with the alcohol and stuff in wipes the cloths were much better for their skin. plus much more economical.
hope that helps.

ps onece you are done with the cloth diapers they make great cleaning rags!! and i use the baby ones as spit up cloths too!

Old 03-08-2004, 04:17 AM   #5
Veteran

pumpkinpatch73 HB User

This helps. Thank you! We've decided that we're definitely going to switch, once Tyler is in size 2. We've bought a variety of things to try. I did buy 2 of the lots of liners, as well as I purchased through another website the fitted velcro diapers and I was thinking I could add a liner to that (Tyler's a heavy wetter) before putting the cover on. In addition, we also bought a large package of the pre-folds. From there, we'll have to see what works best for us and then buy more. If the AIO's weren't so expensive we'd try more of those (I have one or two right now that I got in a lot of items from ebay). I don't want to buy a bunch of anything until we decide that this is the route we're going to go AND STICK WITH IT!

About how many diapers would you say to buy so that I only have to do laundry..........well, I would say once a week, but I think that by the time the week rolls around, the house will stink to high heavens from the dirty diaper pail! LOL How many per day should I probably plan for?

Everyone that I've talked to has said that they were glad that they switched, so hopefully we'll not regret it either. I have also been told that we'd save a fortune. Out of sheer curiosity, I just wonder what the average savings is!

Thanks again!

Closed Thread