It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2004, 09:46 PM   #1

lil'momma HB User
opinion please(pack'n'play or crib?)

My baby is almost 5 mths. now and is getting to big for his bassinett. I really don't want to put him in his room yet because his room is on the other end of the house and I just really don't like the idea right now. My husband brought the subject up first and wants him to stay in our room for the first year or more. Well I really don't know if I want to move his crib or not because I have his nursery all fixed up and it would be bare if I moved his crib and I would have to rearrange everything and put something there in the meantime. Besides I always change him in his crib, and fold his clothes there while he plays on the floor on his blanket with his toys and gym. So I was thinking about getting a pack'n'play for him to sleep in beside our bed at night. I have a big play pen I keep in the den during the day for him to play in but I think a packnplay is more like a crib in a way. What would you suggest? I am also concerned if he would be able to stay in it for that long. Does anyone have one. If so please tell me what you think about it. Do you think it would be best for me to just put the crib in there? I was also thinking that if we ever go out of town it would really be neat to have one. He would always have his bed with him.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2004, 01:29 AM   #2

texjoann HB User
Re: opinion please(pack'n'play or crib?)

My daughter had a pack n play with my 4 year old granddaughter and we used it all the time, it was so handy, when we went places we could take it with us, and we went a lot of places, and they even used it when they went camping. That thing got tons of use with the four year old, then she had her second daughter who is now 2 and she used it for the longest time for her. She kept it beside her bed and the baby slept in it until she was big enough to climb out. (both of the girls).

Plus it has a changing table thing you can put in the top and take in and out.
I would definitely get one. Her sister in law uses it now, so it has gone through three kids and still in great shape.

Last edited by texjoann; 03-06-2004 at 01:31 AM. Reason: typos

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2004, 07:51 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

mommajessibelle HB User

I used a pack and play with my first child for about the first 8 months because some things happened and I ended up moving back in with my mom so there wasnt really enough room for a crib so my mom bought one of these and I put it beside the bed I slept in I loved it and my daughter didn't mind it either the only problem I had was when I got my own place and tried switching her to a crib I see now you can buy sheets for them now they didnt have those almost 6 years ago when I used the playpen

mother of 3
Melissa 9, Brandon 8, and MaeLynn 6

Old 03-08-2004, 01:09 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Sherri-Lynne HB User

My MIL bought us the pack away playpen and we let her sleep in our room (for the same reason). Now the only problem with letting her sleep in our room was she wouldn't sleep in her crib (when I was ready for her to). I know what your going through but it took us another 5 months before she would actually sleep on her own. They are so use to you being in the room that they don't want to leave. Just thought you might like another perspective on the situation since I just went through it.

Old 03-18-2004, 06:09 PM   #5

Nels4 HB User

I have used the same pac-n-play for both of my kids to sleep in whenever we travel, my youngest is 10 monhts and plan to use if for him for another year. He grew out of his bassinet at 3 months and I put him in his crib in his room for a couple weeks, but his room was just across the hall THEN we started adding on to our house and had to move out of our room and moved into our sons room and thought it would be fine to be so close and right there for him when he woke up at night BUT we ended up moving out to the sofa bed in the living room last month so we could see if our being in the same room with him was disturbing his sleep and making him get more upset when he woke up and wanted us to get him, well the first night out of his room he slept 10 hours straight!!!! The longest stretch of his life......he now occasionally wakes 1 time during the night, down from 5 times when we were in the same room, so we will be sleeping in the living room until our remodel is complete. Anyway, just something to think about. I don't know, maybe your baby is already sleeping through. I have a baby monitor in his room and can hear virtually every breath so that might help with your baby being farther away or maybe invest in a babycam! If you do decide to keep your baby in your room the pac-n-play should be fine for a bed (I do put an extra blanket under the sheet for padding and warmth cuz the cooler air close to the floor can make it chilly underneath) but if you want him to get used to his crib you better think about putting it in there or he may never use it much, my daughter was crawling out of her crib at two and so we switched to a twin for her. Sorry if I am rambling on......

Closed Thread