It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2004, 10:16 PM   #1
Senior Veteran

littleone314 HB User
First Birthdays?????

Austin's first birthday is coming up this weekend and we are just having a small family party. But, I need some advice on some good educational age-appropriate toys for him. Also, are their any fun age-appropriate party games we could include him in? I really want to make this a great day even though he may not understand!! **hehe** I appreciate any feedback! Thanks

Last edited by littleone314; 03-07-2004 at 10:20 PM.

Old 03-08-2004, 06:57 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

lane71501 HB User
Re: First Birthdays?????

when my son turned one, we had a small party at the neighborhood park. about four of his little friends came and they had ball on the swings and slides. i don't think he really "got" that it was his bday. just a fun 2 hours at the park with his friends there all at once. we adults had more fun. oh yeah, the cake was the biggest hit(surprise...). check your local grocery stores. most provide a mini cake for the birthday childs 1st free with purchase of full size cake. my son loved his mini pooh cake (especially diving in on his own and "sharing" with me.
happy birthday austin!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2004, 07:02 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

lane71501 HB User

shoot forgot about age appro. toys.....ross got a "ready steady ride on" tricycle by fisher price. no major assembly required. huge hit. still plays on it at his papa's office during the day, he's now almost 3. little tikes makes this workbench thing that has shapes, a hammer, cell phone, and ball chute that he loved too. the triangle, circle, and square make "boinging" sounds when placed in the correct hole and hit with the hammer. hope this helps.

Old 03-08-2004, 07:50 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

littleone314 HB User

Oh thank you for the ideas! That's a great idea about the little tricycle!! I will be looking for them this week. Mind me asking where you got yours at?

Old 03-09-2004, 06:58 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

lane71501 HB User

if i remember right i got it at toys r us. i think it was only $20. my son loves to pretend its a motorcycle. he grabs his grandpa's keys, sticks them in the screw hole where the handlebars are attached and goes "vroooom!!!!" and takes off down the hall.
here's a little humor for ya, he always gets grandpa's keys and puts them in his pocket. well, last night, i picked him up after work, we drive home, etc. as soon as we get home, i've changed clothes and am starting dinner, i hear this little voice...."look daddy! i have papa's keys in my pocket!!!!" these would be my dad's car keys, office and house keys. needless to say, my hubby quickly bathed him and hopped in the car to take them back to my dad (his office is about 20 minutes from our house and it was about 8 PM). time for a fully body pat down every day before leaving papas!!!!! LOL!

Old 03-09-2004, 09:38 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

littleone314 HB User

LOL! That's sooo sweet! Poor little guy...**hehe** he has a record all ready huh! Short story here too...when I was real little my uncle was visiting and I didn't want him to leave so I took his watch and hid it in the refrigerator. Needless to say, no, he didn't go anywhere for a while and he never found it. my mom found it later that week when she went to get something out of the meat bin!!

Old 03-09-2004, 10:01 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

lane71501 HB User

it cracks me up how kid's minds work. ross likes to get ready to ":go-go" by picking up my keys, purse, his juice, and favorite toy(usually terrence the tractor from his thomas train set).
i used to tell my mom to go faster in the car. she would explain that if she did we'd get a ticket. my response? goody, then we can go to the movies!

Old 03-09-2004, 10:26 AM   #8
Senior Veteran

littleone314 HB User

LOL! The things kids say are priceless! We should write a book and get it published. My mom being a teacher has heard some REAL good ones..lol..

She was up and the front of the class and one of the girls raised her hands and told my mom she had to tell her something real important...so she went up to her and the little girl said..."thomas said the F word"...my mom later told me she was thinking "oh god how will I explain that to the kids"...well anyways my mom asked the little girl what the F word was...the little girl then began to shake her head vigorously and said she wasn't aloud to say it because it was a real bad word. So, finally after some coaching my mom told her it was ok to tell her so she wispered to my mom "thomas said.....FART"

That same year my mom was doing a project with magazines and asked the kids to try and bring some magazines from home..well after that lesson a boy came up to her desk and said "I really wish I could bring some in from home but they are all the real dirty kind so I can't." LOL...that crossed me as funny the first time I heard it but then I sat and thought...wait he shouldn't be exposed to those type of magazines!!!

Lane...speaking of policeman..lol...I used be just petrified of cops because I thought if my mom got stopped by one they would take her to prison and I'd never see her again.

Old 03-09-2004, 11:32 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

lane71501 HB User

awwww. how traumatizing! i am soooo bored at work right now....thank god i'm getting out of here at 4!
do you ever have people ask you when you are going to put your child in school? i am lucky enough to have my parents who watch ross all day while i'm at work and i don't think he is missing a thing right now. my mom arranges play dates with her friends' grands and he gets one on one attention (my mom used to teach high school when i was small) and i think he is learning what he needs right now (heck, he can count to 20, recognises colors, shapes, & letters). some of my friends give me the impression that they think i am doing him a disservice by not enrolling him in at least half day preschool. for the most part i generally ignore them since his ped thinks its great that he stays with his grandma and doesn't pick up every germ that comes down the pike.

Old 03-09-2004, 11:53 AM   #10
Senior Veteran

littleone314 HB User

Hey! Well, right now Austin doesn't start school for awhile but when he is old enough for a preschool or something I might look into it. It all depends on how school goes for me. My schedule and all. If I have a lot of classes during the day then my mom has volunteered to stay home with him. She is retiring soon anyway. If that is the case then she wants to take on a few kids during the day (she loves children) for a playgroup or whatever that way he interacts with other children. You're the mommy and next time someone asks you about it (and they decide to put their 2 cents) tell them you have concidered all of your options and you have decided on what suits you best. None of their business anyways lol...I used to get so upset when someone would comment on Austin's size. He was a chunky monkey infant...now he has preportioned out more.

Old 03-09-2004, 12:16 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

lane71501 HB User

can't say the same for ross. he was 8 weeks early but weighed in at 4lbs,6oz. like his dad, he's tall (36 in) and slender (29 lbs). his girlfriend was a "chunky monkey" baby, she's sooo petite now. i swear i was amazed she could hold herself up when she was learning to walk! LOL! she looked like a little weeble (remember those?).
thanks for the feedback. sometimes i really need to hear that. when he was born, i was flooded with advice and opinions. really made me second guess my own abilities. i am just learning to say thanks, but i think my way is ok;instead of tearing people's heads off and taking everything as a personal affront.

Old 03-09-2004, 09:05 PM   #12
Senior Veteran

littleone314 HB User

I take a lot of stuff to heart..but you're right...you have to learn to just let things go in one ear and out the other. Most people (especially your family and friends) mean well but it just comes out wrong. Austin is going to be very tall...he is 30 inches now. His father is tall as well. Me lol on the other hand I'm real short...try 5'3. Well, I can't say he will be tall when he reachs an adult but I'm guessing he is going to be.

I know how you feel about work! It has been such a long day and Austin, myself, and his "grammy" were out looking for a birthday cake all evening...we knew we wanted to look at Sam's club but we got lost trying to FIND sam's. lol...so it was a late night getting in. I got angry because they don't sell party supplies so we then ended up having to go to Super Walmart...and here they only have like two darn check out lanes open when there is a million people in the store. Why, I don't know...drives me INSANE!! LOL...well now that I have done my venting...lol..how was your day?

Last edited by littleone314; 03-09-2004 at 09:07 PM.

Old 03-10-2004, 06:21 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

lane71501 HB User

IT WAS OK. got out of work early, thought i was gonna go get my car washed, but as soon as i pulled out of the parking garage, it started raining. no biggie, i'll get to it this weekend.
isn't that the truth about walmart!!!! it always seems to happen that way to me when ross is at his tiredest and just starting to get out of hand. we have a party city here that carries anything and everything you could think of for supplies. balloons, plates, cups, favors, grab bags, clifford, dora, blue, you name it, they usually got it!!!
today is going to be one of my procrastinating days. i have some filing to do (it can wait) and maybe four letters to write.

Old 03-10-2004, 08:54 AM   #14
Senior Veteran

littleone314 HB User

I wish I lived in a bigger city!!!! I can tell today will definantly be a lazy day too. lol...hopefully Austin agrees..**hehe**! I think I'm going to wrap some presents today. We got most of the party stuff...except they were out of hats. The lady working there said that they would get a new shipment in at 12 am. I said thanks but no thanks lol! Only thing is now I have to go to another store to try and find those. Or just go back there but I really would hate to stand in line and wait an hour just for hats ya know? I really should do some cleaning today but something just keeps me from doing it!!!! Wonder what that is lol!

Old 03-10-2004, 10:07 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

lane71501 HB User

hmmmm.....could it be austin? or maybe the computer!!! lol! what theme did you pick? i gotta think of a new one for this year. his 1st we did pooh. last year was clifford. he still LOVES clifford, but god help me, ADORES the wiggles! actually, even thoughthey are kinda freaky, gotta admit, it is fun to dance around and sing with ross.

Closed Thread