It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2004, 08:03 AM   #1

lil'momma HB User
baby feedings and naps

I know that babies need formula for the 1st year but how much a day total should they be getting along with everything else and how much is to much? If you all will I would like for you to also tell me your babies ages, weight, total amt. of formula you give them and how often do they eat and do they eat anything else and how many hrs. do they sleep at night before they wake to eat again. and how often do they nap during the day. (1st mom here and wanting to get an idea) My baby is almost 5 mths. old and I currently give him 4 oz. every 3 hrs. along with 2 cereal feedings a day, and juice. I think he can go longer between feedings now but if he does will I just need to give him more formula at the next feeding? He gets a total of 20 oz. a day in his bottles and a total of 4 oz. with his cereal. He is at a good weight and goes about 12 hrs. during the night before his next morning feeding. Is this to long?

Old 03-12-2004, 08:40 PM   #2

lil'momma HB User
Re: baby feedings and naps

bumping for reply

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2004, 10:09 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommyof4 HB User

I am one who does demand feeding. I don't have a baby on formula right now but my youngest is only 20 months so it's still recent memory. All of my kids but my youngest went to follow up formula at 6 months. They drank 6oz at a sitting. My youngest one was FTT so his feeding schedule was all over the place. I fed them when they wanted to be fed. They all slept through the night and that is another highly individual thing. My youngest will only nap for 45 minutes but my 3 year old still naps for 2-3 hours. He has also always been a long night sleeper. I would say, if your child seems ok during the day from sleeping that long at night, then that is just his internal clock working like it should.

All of my kids started out on 2oz, then 4oz, up to 6oz, and eventually to the full 8oz. I would think it would be natural for him to go longer between feedings but eat more at each feeding at this age. The best thing to go on is your baby. If he seems content with the way things are going, I would stick with it. You might want to try a day of going longer but feeding more. If he is happy that way too, go for it

Old 04-13-2004, 09:47 PM   #4

leyahsmom HB User

wow your baby goes 12 hrs at night?! thats long..my daughter can sleep thru the night about 6 hrs..and on a good night 8 hrs..at night we usually feed her 5 oz so she can go longer without waking to feed. She's 13lbs and eats about every 3-3 1/2 hrs 4 -5 ozs. Eats about a tablespoon of cereal once a day

Closed Thread