It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2004, 07:59 PM   #1
Veteran

ABC~Mom HB User
Angry ARGGGGG! she wont stay on her back!

ever since my 5 month old has been rolling from side to side i can not keep her on her back to sleep anymore. i have given up all together and just started putting on her tummy to begin with, she sleeps better and if i do put her on her back to sleep she screams for hours till either i put her on her belly or she rolls that way herself. i cant win!
there are no other risks for sids (other than that one) no one smokes in my house, she is never over blaketed, the thermostat is on 70-73 (which it is colder than that in her room cause she is in the back part of our house)
how concerened should i be? should i talk to her ped.?
i am open to any advise on this and i would like to here some other stories if anyone has any.

Old 03-15-2004, 02:01 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Meg28 HB User
Re: ARGGGGG! she wont stay on her back!

I don't think you should worry about this. Most doctors agree that once they start rolling around, there's not much you can do. And if she is rolling around well, she probably has a lot of neck strength - so if she did have trouble breathing, she would be able to lift her head off the bed by herself.
I might get some flack for this but it was what was told to me by my son's doctor when my son was around the same age.
Keep taking the precautions that you have control over as they say there is a risk of SIDs until they are a year old.
I lost a lot of sleep over this when it was my son. He refused to sleep on his back (and still does at 3 years) and I insisted he be on his back because of my fear. Well, he never slept so of course we didn't either. After we decided to stop fighting him on this, he slept soundly....but I didn't. I stayed awake the whole night making sure he was breathing. I finally settled on using the baby monitor on a very loud setting.
It's what you're most comfortable for the family. If you are not sleeping, and your daughter is not sleeping....well, there's not a lot of joy for either of you. It's a matter of weighing the risks against the benefits.

Good luck! You need sleep too!
Meg

Last edited by Meg28; 03-15-2004 at 02:07 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2004, 06:49 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

I have a "back-rest" to keep my son on his back. It's made up of two round tubes. I lay him on his back and the tubes set on either side of him at about hip level. Keeps him from rolling over. I think my mom got it for me at a major department store, but I've seen them every where.

Old 03-17-2004, 08:35 AM   #4
Inactive

maak823 HB User

My son never would sleep that way. We tried everything- the foam supports, rolled blankets etc- he just would not sleep- screamed until we put him on his belly, so that is what we did. He was happier and so were we after we actually got some sleep! I think at 5 months, she is pretty safe from SIDS, and once they know they can flip themselves, there is not much you are going to be able to do about it.

Good Luck!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Winnie~
ever since my 5 month old has been rolling from side to side i can not keep her on her back to sleep anymore. i have given up all together and just started putting on her tummy to begin with, she sleeps better and if i do put her on her back to sleep she screams for hours till either i put her on her belly or she rolls that way herself. i cant win!
there are no other risks for sids (other than that one) no one smokes in my house, she is never over blaketed, the thermostat is on 70-73 (which it is colder than that in her room cause she is in the back part of our house)
how concerened should i be? should i talk to her ped.?
i am open to any advise on this and i would like to here some other stories if anyone has any.

Old 03-17-2004, 03:10 PM   #5
Veteran

momof3mjt HB User

If she is old enough to roll over by herself, let her be! You are going to mess up her sleeping routine and then the big trouble will start! Most babies will roll around by the time they are 4-6 months old. The best thing you can do is put her in warm enough PJ's, take EVERYTHING out of her crib, give her one warm blanket. Don't put in anything she can snuggle up against like stuffed animals extra blankets. Make sure the bumperpad is tight and low also!
good luck
Lindy

Last edited by momof3mjt; 03-17-2004 at 03:10 PM.

Old 03-18-2004, 02:51 PM   #6
Veteran

ABC~Mom HB User

thank you everyone...i dont feel as guilty about this now

Old 03-20-2004, 01:29 PM   #7
(female)

Poo2 HB User

Hi Winnie,

I always worried about this too with my DD. I finally gave up worrying because if they are old enough to turn onto their backs, then they are also able to turn themselves on their stomach if they need to.

I would always check on her and turn her over

Paula

Old 04-13-2004, 09:39 PM   #8

leyahsmom HB User

I noticed my 5 month old is always sleeping on her side now..she seems more comfortable that way. I just let her be..if shes sleeping then its good enough for me..she always goes back to that position if I try to straighten her anyway. I do check on her once in awhile to make sure her nose isn't covered by anything. She loves to roll around in her sleep too. Sometimes I'll wake up and she's sideways in the bed!

Old 04-14-2004, 02:27 PM   #9
Veteran

ABC~Mom HB User

yeah autumn is 6 months now and i will put her at one end on the crib and when i go check on her she is at the other end and she cant even crawl yet! lol babies are so funny!
and side sleeping is ok ....quite safe
and autumn still sleeps on her belly eveynight all night long, and if i try to roll her back while she is sleeping she screams for hours so i dont even bother her now

Old 06-12-2004, 06:32 PM   #10

tlorenet HB User

When my 10 year old was born I was told to put him on his stomach (which he would never do). When my 3 and 1 1/2 year old were born I was told to keep them on their backs. Both were rolling over by the time they were 2 months old. My ped told me not to worry about it, that if they could roll themselves over then their necks were strong enough for them to lift them up if they were on their bellys.

Closed Thread