It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2004, 02:25 AM   #1
Veteran

ABC~Mom HB User
Unhappy the wrong name.

ever since my daughter was born i have felt like she was named the wrong thing...we had the name emily picked all through pregnancy, then in the hospital when they came in to do the birth certificate info. i mentioned the name autumn and some of the family said they liked it better some said they didnt. i had to wake up my fiance (he had worked all the night before) and i suggested the name and her just sort of went with it, but it turns out that the name autumn was what a bully used to call him in grade school (his name is adam) so he has mentioned a few times that it bothers him a bit. we have considered calling her by her middle name (brooke) but i keep asking and he just lets it blow over and not alot more is said.
i liked a name when i was preg that he didnt and if i would have had it my way that would have been her name (rylee) but now it is all to late for that and i was just wondering if anyone else had felt this way...people keep telling me i will grow to like the name more but i just cant seem to get over this.

Old 03-16-2004, 05:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

GirlHarley HB User
Re: the wrong name.

Well I really like ALL the names you mentioned...I love the second name I picked out for my son...His first name I hate but did so because it was a family tradition in my exhusband's family...I don't regret it but I don't like it and I do make sure NO one Calls Him by that name...I use his second name given he's now in 10th grade, all the school forms are made out with his first and second name and schools & sport league DO ask the question if your child goes by a middle name or nickname..

SO you decide what you want your daughter to be named/nickname and use it...But I have to tell you I think the name Autumn is beautiful....AND when Autumn becomes a teenager and sees what her name is she may also want to use it or go by Brooke or whatever you choose to call her...

Best of luck to you and your new daughter..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2004, 03:10 PM   #3
Veteran

ABC~Mom HB User

thank you...i do get compliments on the name alot...and i can picture this name fitting her more as a teen than a little baby as she is now, maybe it is just one of those name that goes with a certain stage of life....like the name margret is associated with people in there golden years....
i do like the name, it has always been a fav of mine, just not the most fav i guess
but she was born in the fall so it works out nicely.
oh and if i have another girl in the winter season i want to name her winter layne...lol

Old 03-19-2004, 03:00 PM   #4
Veteran

PAISLEY HB User

Hi.
Well, my name is Autumn. All of my life I have had people tell me how beautiful my name is, although when I was a teen I hated it! Everybody's name was Tiffany, Tamika, Nikkia, Melissa, etc and I just wanted to have a "normal" name like that. I even considered changing it when I turned 18 but my mom looked very disappointed when I told her, so I didn't do it and I am glad I didn't. Now that I am a little wiser, I've learned that being different is a good thing and I love my name and what's more odd is that I was born in February

On another note, it amazes me when I tell someone my name and they think I am lying. I've actually had to show my driver's license because they couldn't believe it. But, I also get mistaken as Amber, Ashley, August and April so I am constantly repeating my name and spelling it to people over the phone.

Old 03-19-2004, 04:11 PM   #5
Veteran

ABC~Mom HB User

paisley....wow well i guess i should be happy with the name i chose....i am glad i didnt go with the name emily it is the number one name for 2003...i wouldnt want my daughter to be one of 30 emily's in her school

Old 03-19-2004, 09:32 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Blastoff9600 HB UserBlastoff9600 HB User

I was given a name I hated and to this day I dont use that name. There is only one piece of paper that has that name and that is my birth certificate. Every thing else from my SSN to my marriage license have my nick name on it. Yes my nick name,I was going to change my name but when I talked to a lawyer about it he said since I have no criminal history I can go by whatever name I so chose. Lucky me my grandma didnt like my birth name and called me by my current name. to this day I still cant stand my birth name because it doesnt fit me...I will be 30 this year. I never wished for a common name but something that was a little more mundane would have been nice.
I have worked hard to give my sons names that I felt were original but not too far out there to make them hate them later in life.
I so believe that naming a child is one of the hardest things a parent has to face.
Also it is not too late because if you do truly want to you can change her name. I have actually known a person whose parents named her one name but when she was 9 months old they changed her birth certificate because they didnt like the name and felt it wasnt right for her. She says she is glad they did because she doesnt feel like her original name fit her.
Also dont be afriad to call her by a nick name if that is what you want to do. And no it doesnt have to match her birth name if you dont want it to. My name doesnt reflect on my birth name,though it does have three letters in common.
TTC #3 since 01/02

Old 03-20-2004, 12:45 PM   #7
Veteran

ABC~Mom HB User

well i dont think she will hate me for giving her the name autumn brooke...i dont think that name is to weird i know 3 other girls in this area with that name...
but i do often wonder why parents give their children way out there names....
and i blastoff i guess there is no chance you will post your birth name...you have me quite curious?????

Old 03-21-2004, 10:40 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Blastoff9600 HB UserBlastoff9600 HB User

Humm that is tough because I try so hard to forget that name even exists.
It is Crickette Marvine. I look at that name and shudder I hate it that bad. Friends and family over the years have tried hard to get me to like it since it is my birth name. I have heard every line from others with a similiar first name loving their name to a daytime soap that a character had/has that name. The story of how I got that name doesnt help much either. The first name is from one of my birth parent's favorite cats that died before I was born and the middle name was a friend of hers in which she liked her name.
And if I had a penny for every person who has told me it was a pretty/cute name I would be a wealthy woman...lol
I wasnt trying to say your daughter would hate her name. I havent met many people who do hate their name so I guess that is why I have such a tough time with people trying to convince me my birth name is ok. My Dh's has a cousin named Autumn and she is a wonderful person.
Your daughter's name is lovely.
TTC #3 since 01/02

Old 03-21-2004, 01:07 PM   #9
Veteran

ABC~Mom HB User

thank you blastoff...and my fiance said there is a lady he works with whos name is crickette!
and now want to hear something very ironic? that was my nick name when i was growing up.....for years people called me crickette! i dont know why but they did it didnt wear off till i was like a teen lol

Old 03-23-2004, 08:07 PM   #10

lil'momma HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastoff9600
Humm that is tough because I try so hard to forget that name even exists.
It is Crickette Marvine. I look at that name and shudder I hate it that bad. Friends and family over the years have tried hard to get me to like it since it is my birth name. I have heard every line from others with a similiar first name loving their name to a daytime soap that a character had/has that name. The story of how I got that name doesnt help much either. The first name is from one of my birth parent's favorite cats that died before I was born and the middle name was a friend of hers in which she liked her name.
And if I had a penny for every person who has told me it was a pretty/cute name I would be a wealthy woman...lol
I wasnt trying to say your daughter would hate her name. I havent met many people who do hate their name so I guess that is why I have such a tough time with people trying to convince me my birth name is ok. My Dh's has a cousin named Autumn and she is a wonderful person.
Your daughter's name is lovely.
The Young and the Restless is the soap opera who had a character they called cricket, however she goes by Chris now. If you don't like it why don't you just go by Chris. Personally I like the name Cricket, its different.

Old 03-25-2004, 04:03 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

GirlHarley HB User

Crickette Marvine....WELL...I wish you could have been rich...here's my 2cents.........I like that name!

Old 03-25-2004, 09:00 PM   #12

LostInLove HB User

My name is Trinity. No one ever believes me. They think I stole it from the Matrix movie. I always have to prove that is my name. But everyone compliments me on it which is nice. I have never be uncomfortable with my name. It is unique and so am I! Be proud of your name!

Old 03-28-2004, 07:21 AM   #13
Veteran

ABC~Mom HB User

trinity is a beautiful name...you have every right to be proud of it

Old 03-28-2004, 11:45 AM   #14

whowhat HB User

u know u have 1 yr after a child is born to change there name I like the name autumn I know alot of autumns but if u don't think it fits her than u can change it too

Old 03-28-2004, 06:48 PM   #15
Veteran

ABC~Mom HB User

whowhat thank you for that info...but i will probably leave it alone! and i will mention it to my fiance to see what he thinks
thanks again

Closed Thread