It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2004, 04:32 PM   #1

Makenna HB User
My 4 year old son _IMPOSSIBLE!

My son turned 4 years old in December. He was always a little shy, a mommys boy-very quiet. He is in Playschool 2 days per week. He has really come out of his shell, and has made friends quite easily.
Lately he will not listen to a word I say! If I tell him that he can't have something, he takes it anyway. If I say "come with me" he runs the other way, and he thinks it is funny. Getting ready for work in the morning, I will get him dressed, he will take off his clothes, and runs away, thinking its funny.
And today his playschool teacher told me that him and another little boy were picking on another child. I spoke to him about it, and asked if he understood what I was saying to him, and he says no, and laughs.

I don't know what to do with him. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Makenna

Old 03-19-2004, 11:40 AM   #2
(female)

ammom1 HB User
Re: My 4 year old son _IMPOSSIBLE!

Mak,

Sounds like he's pushing you around pretty good. With my children, all teenagers now, I had my most effective discipline by hitting them where it really hurts---no, not physical punishment!! I mean, if they misbehaved, then their punishment was to be deprived of something they really loved. If my daughter sassed me, she would not be allowed to play with her little ponies today. If my son didn't let me know when he was leaving the neighborhood, he could not ride his bike today.

Make the rules real clear with your son, and choose your battles wisely. But, if he perpetrates a punishable offense, think of the thing he loves the most and deprive him of it for a period of time (doesn't have to be too long). That ought to get his attention pretty well.

Good luck!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread