It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2004, 06:41 AM   #1

lil'momma HB User
introducing baby to solids

Hi my baby is 5 1/2 mths. old now. I have been trying a variety of cereals and juices and ready to try veggies and fruits. My question is which one is better to start first or should I just start both at the same time? Should I try giving the whole jar or just a few tablespoons at first?

Old 03-25-2004, 06:46 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User
Re: introducing baby to solids

Babies tend to like the fruits better -- pears, bananas, applesauce. So you probably will want to introduce veggies first, since your child might not be all that thrilled about some of them. My child LOVED the orange food group -- squash, sweet potatoes and carrots. Not so great with peas and green beans.

The literature the dietician gave us indicated a few tablespoons at first with each meal, but our child is such a finicky eater that if he showed a great interest in a food, we weren't about to cut him off.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2004, 08:48 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Fireball76 HB User

Yeah, veggies first. If you go with fruits your baby will love the sweetness and then reject the less sweet veggies when you introduce them. My son also really liked the orange veggy group.
I would suggest introducing one food at a time just in case you child has a food alergy, easier to track down the culprit if there's only one new thing on the menu.

Old 03-25-2004, 12:20 PM   #4

kfs333 HB User

I started my daughter with carrots first and then every 3-4 days I would add a new vegetable ( sweet potatoes and squash ). If a child is allergic to a food, it won't be seen until after the 2nd exposure. Look for redness around the mouth, that is where the allergy will first show itself. After my daughter had had all the fruits and vegetables, I had tried her on a strawberry/banana mixture and she broke out around the mouth ( she was 7 months ). I waited until she was over a year to try strawberries again and that time she didn't break out. Sometimes a baby may be sensitive to a food and not sensitive to that same food as the baby gets older. My daughter also could not stand bananas unless it was fresh ( she didn't like the jarred bananas nor potatoes ). Have fun and be prepared with the camera to take pictures of the mess that your baby will make while eating.

Old 03-26-2004, 04:59 AM   #5
(female)

ammom1 HB User

With my first child, the pediatrician I had at that time had me introduce foods one by one, first veggies then meat then fruit. It was a painstaking process. For my second child, I had a different pediatrician who told me when the baby is six months old, just take whatever we are having for dinner put it in a baby food grinder and serve it up. Now, there were certain limits, like no spicey foods, no peanut butter, no eggs until after 12 months, no fish, careful with the tomato sauce, and make sure the diet is a good balance. My first child was then and is now an incredibly picky eater. My second child will eat anything. I think it's because we didn't fuss over her diet at all. When I asked the pediatrician about what if there's an allergy, his philosophy was if an allergy pops up you'll know and then deal with it, but don't approach a child assuming he/she is going to have allergies, because most don't and if you avoid the common allergens then you will be safe. I liked his style and the results it had.

Closed Thread