It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2004, 09:25 AM   #1

lil'momma HB User
Another Question(diluting juice)

Alot of people tell me that they dilute juice , half water half juice. I have been doing alot of research on the enternet . Gerber says that you do not have to dilute their juice with water because it is made where you don't have to. So why does everyone I know do this? I was also wondering if it is ok to serve a baby juice cold? or is it ok to warm it up for a few seconds in the microwave just long enough to knock the chill off of it? I prefer to give my baby it a room temp. but I'm giving him 2 oz. at a time so once I open the juice bottle I have to put it in the fridge.

Old 03-27-2004, 12:26 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommyof4 HB User
Re: Another Question(diluting juice)

I never diluted my babies juices. They were skinny children and my youngest was an FTT baby. Water is empty calories but fills them up so I didn't give it to them. Some people dilute because they think the juice is too strong either in flavor or to the digestive system. I just used the Gerber juices and they worked well for us. You can serve the juice warm or cold depending on the baby's preference. My children refused anything too cold so I also did room temperature.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2004, 12:43 PM   #3

kfs333 HB User

I was on WIC so Gerber Juices was not an option and therefore diluted my daughters juice half and half until she was 2 to reduce the strength and to keep it from being to acid for her.

Old 03-27-2004, 10:51 PM   #4
Veteran

HeyThere HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil'momma
Alot of people tell me that they dilute juice , half water half juice. I have been doing alot of research on the enternet . Gerber says that you do not have to dilute their juice with water because it is made where you don't have to. So why does everyone I know do this? I was also wondering if it is ok to serve a baby juice cold? or is it ok to warm it up for a few seconds in the microwave just long enough to knock the chill off of it? I prefer to give my baby it a room temp. but I'm giving him 2 oz. at a time so once I open the juice bottle I have to put it in the fridge.
My pediatrician told us to stay away from juices cause it causes surges in blood sugar and caused loose stools and diarhea (sorry) and caused tooth decay something about the mix of acids and sugars left on the teeth or forming teeth. My daughter is now 4 and does not have a taste for flavorings or juices. If you are going to warm something up use a bain marie method like use a bowl of hot water and then set the filled bottle in it and swirl it around using heat transference instead of microwaving any thing which has caused many severe esophagus burns that is why they say never microwave formula -there are hot spots and cold spots that can make one think its still cold but instead there is a burning level hot spot.

Old 03-29-2004, 08:09 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

I've heard using white grape juice is better than apple 'cuz it's not as hard on the digestive system. I just give it to my child at room temp. He requires enzymes to digest foods with fat and protein, but he can have straight sugar (clear candy/liquids/ice pops) or fruit without those things. So if we're out and about and he seems thirsty, we'll give him juice. That way he gets calories, too.

One of the reasons I've heard behind NOT giving your child juice is concerns they'll develop a sweet tooth and become obese later on in life. My child has a terrible time gaining weight, so we don't have to worry about that issue.

Old 03-29-2004, 09:03 AM   #6
Veteran

ABC~Mom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyThere
My pediatrician told us to stay away from juices cause it causes surges in blood sugar and caused loose stools and diarhea (sorry) and caused tooth decay something about the mix of acids and sugars left on the teeth or forming teeth. My daughter is now 4 and does not have a taste for flavorings or juices. If you are going to warm something up use a bain marie method like use a bowl of hot water and then set the filled bottle in it and swirl it around using heat transference instead of microwaving any thing which has caused many severe esophagus burns that is why they say never microwave formula -there are hot spots and cold spots that can make one think its still cold but instead there is a burning level hot spot.
hu....i was just told this by a nurse ....so i am going to stay away from juices from now on
and with the microwave thing...i have microved my daughters bottles ...as long as you make sure to shake them WELL to even out the hot and cold spots it isnt so bad

Last edited by ~Winnie~; 03-29-2004 at 09:05 AM.

Old 03-29-2004, 09:17 PM   #7

lil'momma HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyThere

If it isn't good for them to have juice then what else are they suppose to drink. Milk and water? Can't too much milk be bad? Just wondering. I've heard that juice was ok as long as they don't consume no more than 4-6oz. a day. I give my baby 2oz. a day only and brush his gums afterwards.

Old 03-29-2004, 09:33 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

Juice or not to juice:
Juice is full of natural sugars and added sugars. The best way to give juice to a baby or child is to buy a juicer. If you don't have a lot of time you can juice fruits and veggies together and put into ice trays and freeze. Take those out and put into baggies. Use them as needed. This is the healthiest way to give juice to your child.

Too much juice is not good for their little tummies. I did dilute my children's juice with spring water. If I was giving them carrot juice I diluted it with apple juice. You can pretty much juice anything and a juicer costs about thrity bucks, which you save on not buying canned, bottled, or carton juices. Frozen juices are the most healthy as they are processed and frozen on the day that they are picked.

Fat cells: They develop their fat cells when they are babies so you want to watch the calories and fat. Fat babies make for fat adults in most cases. Although, breast fed fat babies, are different as it is filtered. At least this is what the doc told my daughter, who breast fed a now skinny kid.

Micorwaves: When did it become safe to nuke our food. Those of us that are older remember when it was unsafe and the technology hasn't changed. A whole generation went by, it became more convenient, and microwaves became part of our lives. I would never nuke my baby's food or liquids.

Water is a great in-between for babies. Babies need water as much as adults or children, just not in the same quantities.

Check out the price of juicing compared to what you read on the processed juice that you buy in a store, you can't afford not to juice. And, if you are worried about losing the pulp, add it back in with the strained veggies or cereal. Those can also be pureed and put into ice trays and then frozen to be used later.

Back in the day (dating myself) we fed our kids all, non-processed foods straight out of the garden. Now you can grow it yourself or buy it at a farmer's market and still get good food. The food at the supermarket is filled with additives, preservatives, sugars, dyes, pesticides, herbicides, and insecticides. Not to mention the growth hormones or that the crops are not rototated and they are basically empty of nutritional value.

Old 03-30-2004, 01:27 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommyof4 HB User

About the blood sugar surges.... Anything you eat causes a change in your blood sugar. Normal people do not have blood sugar surges that take them out of the normal range. The carbs, any carbs, only make the pancreas kick in and release insulin. So juices will not cause dangerous blood sugar levels.

It is also important to note that Fructose, the sugar in fruits, is not the same as table sugar so there are vitamins and nutrients in juice that can be beneficial to anyone.

Old 03-30-2004, 02:38 PM   #10
Veteran

ABC~Mom HB User

sorry to be misleading...the nurse said that a few ounces are fine everyday..you just woulndt want your baby/child to get to the point where juice was all they wanted

Old 03-30-2004, 02:43 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

As someone who is always trying to sneak in extra calories for a child with failure to thrive -- we feed our 10 month old whatever he wants, whenever he wants. I'd rather give him juice than water. Although it's not every day all the time at home. Just an in between meal "snack", which doesn't require giving him enzymes for digestion. And he gets 2-4 ounces of apple juice at school once a day.

Old 03-30-2004, 06:13 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommyof4 HB User

I had the same attitude with my FTT son. Water was a waste of calories and we couldn't afford to waste any. He got plenty of water through his formula and I added the juice. He actually needed the juice since 24 calorie formula can be very constipating

Closed Thread