It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2004, 06:39 PM   #1
Inactive

trainboxer HB User
Vasectomy for your son

I dont know if this is the appropriate board for this. But what does everyone think on getting your young son in his teen years a vasectomy. It can be reversed years down the road in case he ever wants children. But it was something I have been thinking about.

Last edited by trainboxer; 03-29-2004 at 06:20 AM.

Old 03-27-2004, 07:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

GirlHarley HB User
Re: Vasectomy for your son

ummmmmmmmmmmmmNO NO NO NO NO!

Is this for you or for your SON? I'm sorry, I have never in my life heard of such a thing! I have a 15 year old SON and I would speak to him about NOT having SEX in his young age or If I really really really had to.......
BUY HIM A YEAR'S worth of Condoms!

I would also be curious if Doctors do such a procedure on teenage boys.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2004, 07:43 PM   #3
Inactive

Karla HB User

NO do not do this. Reversals are expensive and not covered by insurance. He will eventually one day want children and will ultimitly have bad feelings toward you for doing this to him. On top of it I don't think a dr would do it on someone so young. Teach him about abstinance, condoms, birth control, diseases.

Last edited by Karla; 03-27-2004 at 07:43 PM.

Old 03-27-2004, 08:36 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Blastoff9600 HB UserBlastoff9600 HB User

Another fact is that reversal dont always work...at best there is a 50/50 chance of it being successful. Do you really want that on your mind and heart that because a choice you made prevents your son from being a father?? And even prevents you from being a grandparent???

Also I seriously doubt any doctor would do it simply because of his age.
Of course finding a doctor willing to do something like that to a minor would scare me right out of his/her office.
TTC #3 since 01/02

Old 03-27-2004, 08:44 PM   #5

lil'momma HB User

A vasectomy should be his decision and only his. Would you have wanted your mother to have your tubes tied when you were a teen? Besides a reversal doesn't always work and is very expensive. I don't even think they would do it unless he was 18 or older and agreed to have this done hiself. I don't think they would let you make a decsion like that for him.

Old 03-27-2004, 10:05 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommyof4 HB User

Can I ask why any mother in her right mind would want to do this? Is there a health issue or something we don't know about?

Old 03-27-2004, 10:18 PM   #7
Veteran

ABC~Mom HB User

this is scary....i have never heard of someone wanting or even thinking of doing this to there own child...i dont know, but if my mom would have had my tubes tied when i was a younger teen i would have never spoken to her again!
i certainly hope you change your mind.

Old 03-28-2004, 06:49 AM   #8
Inactive

trainboxer HB User

Actually I wouldn't have minded having my tubes tied at all especially if the prodecure of reversal was perfected where a woman would have a better chance to get pregnant in the future. It would have been a good preventitive measure. Birth control fails etc.
Aside from that, I feel the boy might end up being as reckless as his parents and avoiding protection etc. If they had a procedure that was more advanced in being able to reverse it, less expensive and better chances of being able to produce a family after reversal, I dont think it would be a bad idea.
Anyways, thank for your thoughts.

Last edited by trainboxer; 03-28-2004 at 06:56 AM.

Old 03-28-2004, 07:13 AM   #9
Veteran

ABC~Mom HB User

i think this is a reckless thing to do as a parent....i bet if you would just try educating your son in this area he would probably listen....

Last edited by ~Winnie~; 03-28-2004 at 07:33 AM.

Old 03-28-2004, 11:00 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommyof4 HB User

Sorry but this seems like a convenient way to get out of actually parenting a child. Teach them the way they should live... Don't depend on science to do it for you.. Besides, a vasectomy does nothing for STD's which can wreck your life beyond what any baby could do

Old 03-28-2004, 11:10 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommyof4 brought up a good point. Even if you could find a doctor insane enough to do this you still have to talk to him about safe sex. Vasectomies dont protect against stds and if you were to do it that would be like giving him free rein to do as he wishes. How would you feel if he came home to tell you he was HIV+ but hey mom guess what the girl isnt pregnant??? To be honest I think I would much rather one of my sons come home and tell me the condom broke and the girl was pregnant than hear he has an incurable std. I mean come on there are more options to deal with an unplanned pregnancy than there is to deal with an incurable std.
Also vasectomies can fail as well. Granted the failure rate is extremely low but it can still fail.
TTC #3 since 01/02

Old 03-28-2004, 11:54 AM   #12
(female)

SouthernTemptress HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommyof4
Sorry but this seems like a convenient way to get out of actually parenting a child. Teach them the way they should live... Don't depend on science to do it for you.. Besides, a vasectomy does nothing for STD's which can wreck your life beyond what any baby could do

But science also came up with birth control pills and condoms. And is that a way to get out of parenting too? By just throwing condoms at the them. It seems like you are saying one should abstain from sex altogether. And that is a nice pipe dream, but it probably will not be happening. I honestly think more men 18 and up should be getting vasectomies because there are too many guys leaving their pregnant wives and girlfriends and pay absolutely no support for them. If they cant handle the consequences of their actions, they should not be spreading their seed around.

I understand the point of stds which will probably be more abundant though if more men had this procedure done because they would feel they didnt need to use protection. Women get tubals all the time. I dont understand the big animosity towards a vasectomy. Double standards?

Last edited by SouthernTemptress; 03-28-2004 at 11:56 AM.

Old 03-28-2004, 12:10 PM   #13

PuppyPuke HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Winnie~
i think this is a reckless thing to do as a parent....i bet if you would just try educating your son in this area he would probably listen....
Oh, so now it's reckless to try to prevent a pregnancy you don't want? If anything, it is responsible to do so. It's becoming proactive with what you want in life. Sorry, but all forms of birth control fails. I dont see anything wrong with going through the procedure if you think long and hard and decide to make that decision for yourself. It's hard to find a doctor though who will give you a procedure like that if you have no kids. But there are those out there that will. I advise the person involved to wait till at least an adult and let him make that decision for himself. Men seem very aggressive against surgeries like that because they feel it affects their manhood or something.

Old 03-28-2004, 12:18 PM   #14

covergal HB User

Usually they tell a person who wants to get these types of procedures done that they have to be pretty positive about not wanting children later in life. Since this person you are talking about may or may not be a child, what do they know about what they want in the future? You can't really control someone elses body and make them do what they dont want to (you never said you would do this but just in case). A lady close to me had a child at about 18 and her mother talked her into getting a tubal ligation right after the baby was born so she wouldnt get pregnant again. Now about 6 years later, she really wants to have a child again. Only thing is that to have a reversal done this procedure it costs a hell of a lot more than it is just to get a tubal done in the first place. Plus the chances of getting pregnant are much less than normal. So these are things to think of long and hard. Because I think it would be much better to have a child young in life than never being able to have a child at all for the rest of your life. Some people even have botched surgeries and cant ever have children again.

Old 03-28-2004, 12:25 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernTemptress
I understand the point of stds which will probably be more abundant though if more men had this procedure done because they would feel they didnt need to use protection. Women get tubals all the time. I dont understand the big animosity towards a vasectomy. Double standards?

No one is really against vasectomies for ADULT men but this a teen that was mentioned. There are plenty of ADULT men who get them done but to suggest a teen get it done is just down right wrong. Women that get tubals(for the most part) are adults not teens. Most do it when they know they are done having children. No one is against for adults since as adult swe can make our choices without being pressured by others. Teens on the other hand can get pressured from their parents and that isnt right. That kind of surgery should be an adult choice made by the adult getting it done not a teen's mom who thinks it will protect him from getting someone pregnant.
TTC #3 since 01/02

Closed Thread