It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2004, 08:01 PM   #1

lil'momma HB User
soy formula

I was thinking about switching my baby from simlac advance to simlac isomil advance because of his spitting up. I have been doing some research on the enternet about soy formulas and now I don't want. I have read that soy formula is bad and can lead to brain damage, hyper activeness, and thyroid conditions. Does anyone know anything about this? Anyone ever had a baby on soy formula and they haven't experienced any problems? I don't want to scare anyone , I just read that it can have dangerous affects later in life. (don't know If I can believe what I read)

Old 03-27-2004, 08:45 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Blastoff9600 HB UserBlastoff9600 HB User
Re: soy formula

My three yr old son was allegric to regular formula--stupid doctors didnt figure it out until he was five months old. He would cry while eating,he would spit up almost everything he ate,he would cry it seemed like endlessly after eating.
I finally got a doctor to listen to me and we switched his formula to a soy based on to see if that helped. It was like a whole new infant...there was no crying,no spitting up and he just calmly laid in my arms happy as could be. The only down side I found is soy formula stinks worse than regular formula.
My son now is a healthy happy active 3 yr old. I can list on one hand the number of times he has been ill and even list off those illnesses. I can even say he had one almost ear infection...I say almost because he was actually in for a check-up and the dr noticed it was starting to look like one and we treated it before it even bothered him. My youngest son is very smart as well. I know other babies that have been on soy formulas and havent seen a one that had to horrible problems you mentioned.

Talk to his doctor and see what info he/she can give you. I wouldnt be surprised that your doctor will have more accurate info for you.
TTC #3 since 01/02

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2004, 10:05 PM   #3
Veteran

ABC~Mom HB User

well my daughter on soy till she was 4 months old (now is 5 mo. old) but she spit up constantly on the soy....i had to put her on milk based..(which had a larger curd and thickens in the tummy) so she held it down better.
i dont know about all the things you mentioned....but when it comes to babies you pretty much have to follow their lead....they know what they need sometimes better than we do.

ohh and someone mentioned on here to me to try emfamil a. r
it has thickeners in it to help babies hold it down...try it..it is my next step if this similac stops working

Last edited by ~Winnie~; 03-27-2004 at 10:07 PM.

Old 04-18-2004, 04:53 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

AngelaA HB User

Have you considered whether you baby may just be lactose intolerant? Both Simulac & Enfamil make milk-based lactose free formula. Give it a try before soy. Soy is an endocrine disruptor. Studies have been done showing an infant given soy formula gets the equivalent dose of estrogen as would be in 5 birth control pills. I was given soy as a child and now have hypothyroid so bad my thyroid barely functions, had precocious puberty, have menstrual problems as adult and breast fibroadenoma. I beg you parents please do not feed your kids soy!

Old 04-19-2004, 09:12 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

I've heard that lactose intolerance is very rare in infants. Have you spoken to a doctor about your child's problems? Could be colic, reflux, or even just the type of formula. My sister had to use Carnation Goodstart with one of her children 'cuz he was so urpy. And my child is on regular formula, but was prescribed an acid reducer for supposed reflux. We'd tried all kinds of different formulas, the worst was a nasty predigested one that a dietician insisted on 'cuz it was easier on his stomach. Couldn't get him to choke it down, so we tasted it -- it was horrible. It tasted like vomit and the way roadkill smells. I felt so bad that I'd tried forcefeeding my baby that putrid stuff.

Old 04-19-2004, 05:09 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

AngelaA HB User

Lactose Intolerance is quite common in certain populations in adults as well as infants. 90% of Asians and 75% of Native Americans, Mexicans and Africans are lactose intolerant. However it is relatively unheard of in persons of Northern European descent. Being Native American it was not unusual for me to be a lactose intolerant baby and as an adult I still have same problem. It is also considered normal for my child to have same problem. I live in Arizona where 40% of population in my area is Native American...hence lots of lactose intolerance. The Lactose-Free baby formulas are stocked in most stores here because it is in so much demand while in other parts of country it may be unheard of.

Last edited by AngelaA; 04-19-2004 at 05:12 PM.

Old 04-19-2004, 09:20 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Blastoff9600 HB UserBlastoff9600 HB User

Actually recent studies havent found those kind of problems with soy that was mentioned in one post. There is a current study taking place in Arkansas that is suppose to continue for 6 years,it started in Sept of 2002. With what they have so far from that study soy hasnt proven to be dangerous for babies.
Those types of problems can occur for any number of reasons,not saying that soy isnt the cause in the one case but just saying there could have been other factors also.
TTC #3 since 01/02

Old 04-20-2004, 07:57 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

As far as lactose intolerance, from the info I've read it there is a danger of being misdiagnosed with it -- there's a tendency to just say that a child has lactose intolerance, when it could be reflux or even something as simple as a reaction to those new "lipils" in the formula.

My child has a genetic disease, which effects his digestion. He very well could have been misdiagnosed because of his chronic loose stools and urpy behavior and we could have spent years trying to figure out what's wrong with him if not for genetic testing. So it might be a good idea to check with a pediatric GI person, who is familiar with all the differents things that COULD be causing this problem.

Old 04-21-2004, 07:53 AM   #9
Veteran

HeyThere HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaA
Have you considered whether you baby may just be lactose intolerant? Both Simulac & Enfamil make milk-based lactose free formula. Give it a try before soy. Soy is an endocrine disruptor. Studies have been done showing an infant given soy formula gets the equivalent dose of estrogen as would be in 5 birth control pills. I was given soy as a child and now have hypothyroid so bad my thyroid barely functions, had precocious puberty, have menstrual problems as adult and breast fibroadenoma. I beg you parents please do not feed your kids soy!

If you drink a bottle quart of soy similac in one day your adult cycle will disappear for quite a long time and all the wrath that comes with it. I know I didn't feel like throwing $5.00 away so I drank it and tadah here I am on the health boards still with female probs. I had posted this about soy nearly a year ago. Imagine how many kids will grow up to be barren adults.

Try goats milk or sheeps milk vikings used sheep. I was raised on goats canned. I get congested with any cow dairy but that didn't happen till I was 16.

Last edited by HeyThere; 04-21-2004 at 07:57 AM.

Old 04-21-2004, 07:37 PM   #10

Brooke~Lynn HB User

i gave my daughter soy till she was 4 months old! does this mean she WILL have problems??????
i had her thyriod tested through blood work and all was fine....
wonder why doctors cant tell ppl this from the start! :angry:

Old 04-22-2004, 05:14 PM   #11
Senior Veteran

AngelaA HB User

Brooke~Lynn

There is no way of telling at this point if your child will have problems from the soy, nor will a test for thyroid today show if your child will have thyroid problems years from now. But there is a good chance that the soy along with everything else nasty in the environment (such as estrogens in the water supply & in plastics and soy hidden in every food you buy) that all that will add up to have an effect. The dr didn't tell you about soy because relatively few drs seem to know anything about it. The food industry is trying to cover up the problems with soy in the same way the FDA & EPA does not expose the detrimental effects fluroide has on people. Do your research and you will be shocked!

Old 04-22-2004, 06:35 PM   #12

Brooke~Lynn HB User

well my friend was given soy formula as a baby and now is 5 months pregnant! lol
so i guess i am not to worried and i think i will skip on the research, i have already given her the stuff (though i wont ever again) and i cant change the past

Old 04-22-2004, 09:31 PM   #13

lil'momma HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratatosk
I've heard that lactose intolerance is very rare in infants. Have you spoken to a doctor about your child's problems? Could be colic, reflux, or even just the type of formula. My sister had to use Carnation Goodstart with one of her children 'cuz he was so urpy. And my child is on regular formula, but was prescribed an acid reducer for supposed reflux. We'd tried all kinds of different formulas, the worst was a nasty predigested one that a dietician insisted on 'cuz it was easier on his stomach. Couldn't get him to choke it down, so we tasted it -- it was horrible. It tasted like vomit and the way roadkill smells. I felt so bad that I'd tried forcefeeding my baby that putrid stuff.
no he does not have colic. He just spits up alot, not fussy at all.

Old 04-24-2004, 12:18 PM   #14

Aston HB User

Well i would not tell you what i think of doctors or what they have done for my 4 children all with allergy problems that the health professionals refused to admit too. They were allergic to dairy - eczema, diarroea with Soy, although one could tolerate soy but now he is 10 he is very small for his age & this worries me as he was always so tall. He has 21/2 year bone delay & docs domt know why, but i of course now read soy can cause stunted growth. As for lactose intolerance being rare, that is not my experience, all the family are & we are English caucasien. What i have read is lactose intolerance is getting more & more common.

Old 04-24-2004, 12:40 PM   #15

Brooke~Lynn HB User

aston...i am lactose intoerant and have been since i was a very young child...though i am much better now than i was when i was a child....and i am caucasion as well and it certainly runs in my family....my mom has it as well as my dad and i think my grandmother has it as well......doctors think my daughter may have it later in life also (even though my fiance does not, but it only takes one parent (or other relitive) to pass the gene on ) so they tell me

Closed Thread