It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2004, 06:26 AM   #1
Senior Veteran

littleone314 HB User
How do I stop this?

Everytime I sit Austin in his highchair to feed him...half way through the meal he will start sticking his fingers down his throat and most times he ends up throwing up from gagging himself. This has been going on for about a month! I brought it up to his dr. and he said that it's normal. I really don't think it's normal for him to be gagging himself to the point of throwing up. He recommended that I start firmly pulling his hand away and sternly saying "NO". I have tried that but he just laughs at me. I'm drop dead serious about it and I don't laugh or anything. How can I stop this and is it really "normal" behavior?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2004, 10:02 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommyof4 HB User
Re: How do I stop this?

It's normal in my house. All of my kids have been fascinated with their gag reflex. My youngest isnt as fascinated with it because he naturally gags on just about everything.

The only thing that worked here was to feed them and hold their hands down anytime they started to put them near their mouths. When they finally realized I meant business, they went on to something else. It also helped for me sing to them and do things to distract them. Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2004, 10:14 PM   #3

lil'momma HB User

My baby does the same thing. He also gags himself to the point of throwing up. I just give him a little pop on the hand when he does it and sometimes he will laugh at me too, but he is starting to learn what no means.

Old 04-05-2004, 01:15 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

TeTr01 HB User

Ah yes, my daughter did this at one time... I was like, "Why the heck is she doin that?" My mom told me it was just b/c she was facincated with her gag reflex & that she would stop. But she never did it to the point that she would really gag or throw up. She stopped doing it after a few days.

Old 04-05-2004, 01:59 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Angel77 HB User

My son, who is now 2, still does this occasionally. The only positive response I got from him was when I ignored him or told him to go puke in the garbage can. He lifted the lid, turned and said, "Ewe, no mom." And went about playing. I just ignore him and clean it up. It's made him do it a lot less. If he gets any type of reaction, he's going to keep doing it.

I don't know how old Austin is, but, maybe walk away from him when he's doing it and only respond to him when he stops. Good luck, I know this is the less than glorious side of motherhood!!! Makes ya wonder why some of us have more than one, doesn't it!!! LOL Good luck, keep the dishpan and soapy water handy.

Closed Thread