It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2004, 02:50 PM   #1

capsaicin18 HB User
how to teach baby to nap

hi.. my 2.5 months old seems to stay so alert mostly during the day. for her age she needs more sleep. at night she wakes up every 3 hours, which is great and she has an average of 12 hours of sleep/day. During the day, when she gets reallytired, she falls into a deep sleep in my arm but once she is put down on her craddle, she immediately opens her eyes, cries. I can't let her cry out for longer that 5 minutes before i pick her up and the whole cyle starts over again. She can continuously nap on the battery-operated swing while it's swinging. However I do not like it when she'd still depend on the swing to sleep when she's a year old. Is this sleep thing something that she will outgrow, or if there is something I can do to make her to nap longer than 10 minutes (other than on her swing), please let me know.

Old 04-02-2004, 03:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommyof4 HB User
Re: how to teach baby to nap

Weight and curiosity about the world around her will take care of the swing issue. I haven't seen a baby still in a swing at a year old. I would recommend that you limit how late she sleeps in the day rather than how long. She is still very little so the curiosity that keeps her awake will come later.

You may have to work through the late afternoon crankiness and sing to her, play with her, etc to keep her awake. Then in the evening when you want her to start sleeping, you can start the bedtime routine of warm bottle or breast, bath, etc. Keep in mind that some babies just don't sleep as long as others either. I have one who still likes to sleep all of the time at 3 years old and one who is 20 months old and wakes at the smallest noise.

I would also try to extend my going in there when she cries. As she gets older she will need to self soothe for the most part. You might want to take it in baby steps of rubbing her tummy or side while she is in the bed but not picking her up. Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2004, 09:30 PM   #3

lil'momma HB User

She probably likes the swing because of the motion, remember she lived inside of you for 9 mths. and she may have been put to sleep when you walked and moved. As for her crying when you lay her down that is completely normal for alot of babies. They just feel secure bundled in your arms. What would help if you haven't tried it already is one of those swadling blankets, it is a blanket that swadles the baby and will stay wrapped tight because it has velcro on it. As she gets older she will get better about this. My baby was the exact same way, he wanted to be held constantly in my arms, if I laid him down he would cry(many many nights sleeping with him in the recliner...lol) Now I can just lay him down and he goes straight to sleep, I don't even have to rock him to sleep anymore at night. I don't think you can teach a baby to nap, they just have to figure it out on their own. Also, when my baby was first born I think he had his days and nights mixed up, I tried keeping him awake during the day, but it never worked. I tried rubbing him down with lotion to wake him during the day, didn't work, nothing I tried did. Then one day it was like he finally figured it out and he will sleep all night long now and awake just about the whole day except for a few short naps.

Old 04-04-2004, 12:09 PM   #4

Nels4 HB User

Both of my babies napped in the swing (the best baby invention ever!!), my first until she was 6 months and my second till about 4 months. My daughter was the same way, she was awake and alert a lot during the day and she would wake as soon as you layed her down. We ended up holding her a lot while she slept, which was not a good thing so the swing was a great alternative. I have read that at that age it really does not matter how they nap as long as they get their naps in (some will disagree that moving sleep is not good sleep). An overly tired baby is harder to get to sleep well at night than one who has napped well through the day. The sleep induces sleep theory. Although, I think that waking every 3 hours at 2.5 months is really good. I found that once they get the nap schedule going they will sleep in their beds at the time they are used to be sleeping in the swing. The one nice thing about the swing is that my son slept through major remodeling construction of hammering and sawing, so it worked really well to keep him asleep through all the noise so he could get some naps during the day. If he was sleeping too long I would just turn off the swing and sometimes he would wake right up and others he would keep sleeping, which was probably because he needed more sleep. I would never let a 2.5 month old cry for long either, wait till they are older for learning to soothe themselves. Right now you just need to be there for your baby so she feels secure, love her and let her nap wherever you can at this age (for her benefit and yours). I wouldn't worry about the swing being a long term issue.

Old 04-11-2004, 02:35 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Sherri-Lynne HB User

I LOVED the swing. It would conk her out everytime. They do grow out of the swing but as a babies the love the rocking motion. After she went to sleep I would turn it off (mostly to save on batteries) but she would still sleep, if she woke up I could turn it on again if I needed to. She grew out of it at 4 1/2 - 5 months old. It is only a temporary thing I swear (sigh).

Last edited by Sherri-Lynne; 04-11-2004 at 02:40 AM.

Closed Thread