It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2004, 01:41 AM   #1

kalebnzekesmum HB User
toddler sleep problems! help!

i'm new here. i've been browsing the boards and posted in a few other various places, but i am sure glad i found this place, as you all may have answers i don't.
my son will be 2 on sunday. for the past 3 weeks he has totally done a 360 with his sleep. he goes to bed around 5 and 6 am (right now he's still running thru the house like the energizer bunny.) and he'll sleep til 12 in the afternoon. around 4-5pm he'll take a nap lasting about 2 hours. then, he's UP. it's like he thinks he can be up all day and up all night? it's driving his dad and i nuts! we've actually considered giving him sleeping pills :P, i just wish they made some for tykes his age. we've tried almost everything, from cutting sugar totally from his diet, to forcing him to go to sleep and he just won't do it. i also have a baby that's 5 months old, so this sleep schedule isn't working well for me because when he finally goes to sleep the baby is starting to wake up for the day...if anyone has suggestions i'd greatly appreciate them. i'm almost open to anything at this point.

Old 04-08-2004, 04:21 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

MandyAnne26 HB User
Re: toddler sleep problems! help!

Don't let him have a nap in the afternoon at all. Do whatever you have to do to keep him awake. I had the same problem with my son at about 2, if he slept at all durring the day he was up half the night. I had to cut out the naps. It's hard at first because they are so used to them and there will be days they really need a nap, but for now cut them out, if he's sleeping from 5-7 than that's too long, give him supper before his regular nap time so if he does fall asleep he's not hugry, try to keep him up untill 8-9, it sounds late i know, but the more tired he is the better he'll go to sleep at night. once he's going to bed at a normal hour than you can start giving small (the key is small, never more than 30-40min) naps in the early afternoon. 5 is too late to have a 2 hour nap.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2004, 04:54 AM   #3
(female)

ammom1 HB User

Yikes, you've got one messed up sleep pattern there. Whenever my children, who are no 13 and 15, couldn't sleep at night I tried to come up with all kinds of reasons--oh, it's developmental, separation, sugar, whatever, but it truthfully always came down to one thing, and that was they weren't tired enough to sleep. Your little camper has got his days and nights so mixed up he's not tired at the appropriate times. Do you really mean he is UP ALL NIGHT, not going to bed until 5 a.m.? That's so out of control it's hard to imagine.

Well, obviously you've got to get him back on track and the only way to do that is to not let him sleep during the day, and that's going to be really ugly before it's all over. On the first day, let him do his sleep until noon thing and then absolutely positively do not allow that late afternoon nap, no matter what you have to do to keep him up. He should then be ready to go to bed sometime in the evening and sleep. The next day if he needs a nap let him have a nap after lunch no longer than 1.5 hours. I know when there's a baby in the house sometimes it is nice when the older one is out of the way for a few hours, so those long naps can seem like a great break, but the price is too high.

You may ask your pediatrician about giving him a bit of dramamine or benadryl to help adjust his sleep cycles. When our children were very young we took a trip to Asia with them and they came back all screwed up. The pediatrician recommended inducing sleepiness with a small dose of either drug, and it did the trick.

Good luck, I'm yawning hear just thinking about all of this!!

Old 04-08-2004, 02:33 PM   #4

kalebnzekesmum HB User

Yes, his sleeping schedule is VERY messed up. We've tried keeping him awake, no naps, he still stays awake, he's very very crabby, but he will still manage to stay awake until the crack of dawn. He is getting ready to go in for his 2 year check-up and I think I might talk to his ped. about the problem. Maybe he can prescribe a little something to get him to be sleepy. I just know that his father and I can't handle him being like this much longer, we need sleep too!

Old 04-08-2004, 02:39 PM   #5

kalebnzekesmum HB User

Yes, his sleeping schedule is VERY messed up. We've tried keeping him awake, no naps, he still stays awake, he's very very crabby, but he will still manage to stay awake until the crack of dawn. He is getting ready to go in for his 2 year check-up and I think I might talk to his ped. about the problem. Maybe he can prescribe a little something to get him to be sleepy. I just know that his father and I can't handle him being like this much longer, we need sleep too!

Old 04-08-2004, 05:50 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

TeTr01 HB User

That's crazy! I am sorry I don't have any advice for you, my 2 1/2 year old daughter never did this. Sure there are times when she doesn't go to sleep right away & stuff, but she stays in her toddler bed till she falls asleep. I wish I could help you, but I think that asking the ped might be your best bet - let us know how it goes !

Old 04-09-2004, 11:38 AM   #7
Veteran

momof3mjt HB User

I would not suggest any type of medication to help him sleep. The first thing I would do is wake him up earlier in the morning. Don't let him sleep until noon!!!! I would wake him up around 8 or 9 am. Make him get up...Then he will be tired around 1 and then only let him sleep for about 1.5 hours. Then get him back up and make him stay up until an appropriate bedtime. I know he is going to be crabby, and it will seem to take all of your patience. But if you can do this for 2 or 3 days, he will turn himself back around. If you let him stay up just because he "won't" go to bed, or is crabby, it is only going to get worse. And it will start to spill over into other behavioral areas of his life.
It may take a couple of days, but in the end it will be so worth it.

Closed Thread