It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2004, 10:14 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommyof4 HB User
Sippy cups for language delay

EI came out for my youngest son, 21 months, yesterday. He is behind by about 8 months now. We already know he has oral motor problems. Right now he has been diagnosed with Dysphagia, Oral Apraxia, and SID. The EI woman told me that I needed to get rid of my sippy cups! She said that ,orally, they are no different from a bottle. That with spill proof cups, the child has to suck the liquid out just like a bottle. She said they also do nothing for the most important oral muscle which is the tongue. Most babies and toddlers do most of their sucking with their cheek muscles.

SO... I am not about to give my toddler and open cup. She said we could do a straw cup but I would rather stick with sippy cups. Does anyone know of a kind without a spill proof valve?

Oh, and I asked her what I should do since he is really good at spilling drinks... Her response... MAKE him leave it on the kitchen counter!!URGH.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2004, 10:54 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

littleone314 HB User
Re: Sippy cups for language delay

Wow.. this is interesting because at the moment we are waiting to see if Austin's speech delay is caused from his cleft palate..(he get's it repaired this Monday). His dr. says that it is and so do I but just incase...I would like to be cautious.

So, your dr. said that sippy cups aren't good for babies and toddlers? Yall might laugh at me but I thought you were supposed to take the spill proof valve out of the sippy when you give it the child and you only use it to travel??? That's what I do with it..the valve comes out ! It spills everywhere if you turn it upside down...you definantly don't have to suck to get the liquid out. Now I'm confused. I use the soft spout Gerber Sippy. Am I supposed to be giving him it with that white valve in it?

I'm sorry I wasn't of more help to you Mommyof4!!

Last edited by littleone314; 04-09-2004 at 10:56 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2004, 09:38 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommyof4 HB User

You know, a week ago I would have told you not to worry about the valves. Come to find out, you are doing it right!! Sippy cups aren't the problem. It's the no spill valves. I posted this question at another site I am on for language delays and a few of the women also said they were told not to use the valves.

I got a recommendation for a Playtex Sports cup that has a fold down straw. I am going to give it a try. I am also going to try the kind with the removable valve. I have been buying the cheap WalMart disposable cups

So, your advice really did help. I am not going to give him the cup with the valve in it unless we are in the car. Thanks

Old 04-10-2004, 10:38 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

littleone314 HB User

No, thank you!!!!!! Now, I know not to buy any other kind..unless it has a removeable valve. I'm glad I could help you though!!!

Actually, the other day I bought a few of those disposable sippys from Walmart! lol..guess I'll just keep those for emergencies.!! Again...glad I could help

Old 04-13-2004, 06:24 PM   #5

chelann HB User

My son is 3 and is speech delayed, I was told the same thing about the cups, I have always given him the cup without the valve also, I did see some cute cups at Hechts for kids. They were with the stuff for outside. It was a cup that had the straw built in it with a lid. My son goes to speech twice a week, It is so hard that people don't undestand him. I feel so bad for him. You don't realize how important speech is until you see someone struggle with it!

Old 04-18-2004, 06:28 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

AngelaA HB User

I recently saw a new cup made by Playtex. It has wide rim and a special seal that allows it to be spill proof yet you drink from the rim like a regular cup. Tupperware has made regular sippy cups for decades..well unless they have changed to using the valves. But you can still find the older Tupperware on Ebay or at yard sales. I'm really concerned because I babysit for a friend with a 3 1/2 yr old who still uses the various brands of no-spill sippy cups. I have been see lots of articles lately about it causing language delays and I am really concerned now as the little girl is near impossible to understand.

Old 04-19-2004, 04:49 PM   #7
Veteran

momof3mjt HB User

Walmart sells the cups like Tupperware has, you get 3 or 4 in the pack. They are great, they are not "sippy" cups, and they don't suck to get the liquid out either.
My daughter, who is 7 now, has had speech delays since she was little, and we threw out all of the "sucking" cups when she was little, it did help. The tongue has muscles in it and they are used in different ways to make different sounds. So children have to get used to using those muscles in different ways....other than just the sucking muscles.
Try the cups from tupperware or from Wally World. They are just plastic cups with snap on lids on them....with a small slot for drinking. They will spill, but only drops will come out if you catch it in time.
I quickly got out of the habit of letting my kids just walk all over the house with any type of cup, they could only have drinks in the kitchen, and not all the time. It sure helped with the potty training too, when they weren't drinking all day long.
good luck!
Lindy

Old 06-12-2004, 07:12 PM   #8

tlorenet HB User

I had no idea. My doctor has never said a word about it. My children talk fine, but I will remove them for now on.

My youngest talked late, but that was due to her brother talking for her. Once I made him stop, she was talking in sentences. It sucked in a round about way because I missed a lot of her first speech patterns and since she is my last I won't be able to get the chance to hear another one go through learning how to talk. She went from saying maybe 7 words to saying sentences.

Closed Thread