It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2004, 01:35 PM   #1
Veteran

ABC~Mom HB User
what do you do with a bored baby?

Autumn is six months now and she is constantly bored...like i will give her toys and she is fine for about 5 min. then she gets bored and wants to do something new, so i give her new toys or put her on her tummy on the floor....again she is fine for a few min then she is screaming again.
i know it isnt hunger (she eats 32 oz or more a day) i know it isnt the diaper i check constantly. i know it isnt pain because she stops when i pick her up....as long as i am standing but if i sit down with her she gets restless again and cries, sometimes i just have to put her in her crib and let her go at it because i get so frusturated...i dont like to do that though because she will cry till she starts coughing and gagging on spit...
and she is so friendly to others in public she always smiles for them and they all say what a good baby she is...but it is a whole different story here at home.
is this normal behavior? are all babies like this? why cant she entertain herself, i thought by 6 months a baby was able to do that?

Old 04-12-2004, 04:57 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

MandyAnne26 HB User
Re: what do you do with a bored baby?

she is too young to entertain herself for any length of time. Babies have very short attention spans. Do you have an exersaucer? all of my kids loved those and were much happier in that than lying on the floor. At 6 months you can't expect her to be too independant when it comes to playing, she needs to play with her. Have you tried putting her in a highchair and letting her play there? She may just not want to be on her tummy. Also, what kinds of toys is she playing with? rattles and things like that, she may have just progressed and wanting something new, toys that play music and have buttons to press are great lights and music give great stimulation to little minds.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2004, 08:34 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommyof4 HB User

Totally normal behavior We had our best luck with the Kick and Play Piano. As long as they kicked, it played music. They got the hint and would just lay there playing songs. We also loved the exersaucer. They could jump in it as it had springs and loved to play with all of the toys on it. We got the kind that was a farm with removable tractors and such. It breaks down into a track when they get older so they still play with it. Good luck

Old 04-12-2004, 11:46 AM   #4
Veteran

ABC~Mom HB User

she spends alot of her time in her walker which has an attached bar with lots of neat things to play with on it.....she also has all the light-up and noise making toys fisher price makes (lol) she seems like she wants to be part of adult activiety, like baby stuff is just way to "babyish" for her...lol i do spend alot of time with her but when she gets like "that" i cant seem to make her stop crying unless i walk the floors with her for hours (which obviously i can not do)
but i will give more attention and maybe her need to be apart of things will be appeased.....jeez 6 months going on 3!

Old 04-12-2004, 09:54 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Sherri-Lynne HB User

Do you have a jumper? (One of those things you strap on to yourself, I forget what it's called). You could put it on and do your daily activities with her, not all day but some. Your walking around hand free and that would satisfy her as well. Or a jolly jumper, she can go in one of them now and that kept mine busy for hours. Good luck

Old 04-18-2004, 07:35 AM   #6
(female)

Zazzaz HB User

~Winnie~

As other posters have said, you are describing completely normal behavior for a child of that age. I doubt your daughter ever gets "bored" at her age - she just has a 5 minute attention span, like all 6 month olds.

But you raise a second issue - the fact that she is uncomfortable on her own for a few minutes. Of course, you can never leave a baby of that age unattended. But I think there are some things you can do to ease her into the idea of playing on her own for a few minutes (with you still present in the room). Put her on the floor with some toys and play with her until she gets focused on a toy on her own for a moment. Then quietly stand up and walk away so you're still in sight, but across the room, and find some activity to do. When she complains, go back over to her, play some more, and then step away from her again after she becomes focused on something other than you. Do it a couple of times a day for a week or two, and maybe she'll slowly get the idea that you're still there for her, but that playing on her own is OK for a few minutes at a time.

By the way, according to a Montessori age development guidline I've seen, an infant generally reaches a point where they can be sociable but self-contained and able to play alone for a short time between the ages of 12-18 months. So I wouldn't expect too much solitary play for another six months or so. And even after that, you're only talking about 5-15 minutes. Also, separation anx iety tends to really pop up at about 6 months, and it's also a normal developmental stage, so that could be part of what's going on right now.

Good luck with your baby! ~ Z

Last edited by Zazzaz; 04-18-2004 at 07:38 AM.

Old 04-18-2004, 04:15 PM   #7
Veteran

ABC~Mom HB User

thanks again everyone...i do have the snugli baby carrier but i also have TERRIBLE lower back pain and she weighs 15 lbs now so that is out of the question....

Zazzaz i already do the toys on floor thing play a little then walk away (but in sight)
she is a really intresting baby i must say lol!
and about the anxiety separation thing i dont think it is with just me, she seems perfectly happy with anyone holding her (even total strangers)!
so maybe it isnt mommy seperation anxiety but ppl separation anxiety.....

Does this mean she is going to be a clingy toddler and child?

Old 04-19-2004, 04:32 PM   #8

pinkie1234 HB User

my daughter is 7 months and is perfectly fine playing by herself for a short time. what i do is fill the room with toys i mean a whole toybox full just all over the floor. especially ones that make noise and play songs. in the begining she would play for a few min then get upset because i wasnt playing with her. but as she wold get upset and try to make her way to the kitchen where i am she gets distracted by the toys. then the one behind her would make a noise and she would go back. now i am able to put only a few toys out and she is fine for longer peroids of time.

Old 04-19-2004, 05:31 PM   #9
Veteran

JLKH HB User

Yup... normal baby!

Couple of things to try.

1. Find a safe area of floor for her and set a basket filled with toys in front of her and just let her have at it! (with supervision of course)

2. Educational DVDs! I know I know everyone's going to yell about not letting your baby watch tv but there are tons of great educational videos out there that not only entertain but help your baby learn... yes even at this age. And I'm not talking about having them watch these for hours on in.

3. Gymborees, play groups, baby activity centers. Look online and see if there are any of these things in your area. You daughter might be starving for some new experiences. My daughter just LOVES to go out and about. And I find that she is much better behaved and willing to play quietly if she has had an adventure that day. And it doesn't even have to be things like play groups. She finds the store just thrilling! LOL So get creative.

Lastly 6 months is an odd age for kids. They are still babies but they are starting to take on some toddler traits. It's a very odd age I found. But a good one!

Oh and one more thing... no it doesn't mean she's going to be clingy. I had the same fear you did but I"m not worried now. My daughter was like that, so much so that she wouldn't sleep unless I was with her but she's now a year old and just as independant as she can be!

Old 04-20-2004, 11:50 AM   #10
Veteran

ABC~Mom HB User

jlkh, glad to hear i probably wont have a clingy toddler (lol) i know i was very hard to deal with as a baby but then (as you decribed) i was a very independant toddler and child (though i was a clingy teen (not to my parents, but friends and boyfriends)
its just amazing how development works...

Old 04-21-2004, 08:41 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

sawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB User

I agree with Zazzaz that a child should be taught how to spend time with themselves. I have a 12 year old son who was just like your child, didn't want to stay in the playpen, only a little while in the walker or johnny-jumpup, or on the floor with toys, etc. I never let him stay in a situation where he was anxious or crying. This happened often so it felt like I was always holding him. On the other hand, my older son (15) was content to be on his own as a baby. Fast-forward to today. My younger son still complains of being bored when he has ample opportunity to entertain himself. My oldest can decide to go to his room and read, draw, watch tv, or study. My younger is a A or B student. Oldest is high honor role with straight A's. This is definitely a difference in personality and internal dispositions, but I think I could have helped my younger son from the beginning by having him figure out how to enjoy being by himself for longer periods. Another thing that backfired on me was while playing games with my youngest, I let him win all the time thinking I was building his self-esteem. Wrong! What I got was a poor loser! Now with my playing and winning (only when I deserve it - LOL) he is becoming a more rounded person. So, don't go crazy trying to fill every minute of your child's life. I'm sure you will find a balance of making sure she is safe and letting her figure it out - as her age allows.

Closed Thread