It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2004, 12:21 PM   #1
(female)

curious1979 HB User
Question Help please

My daughter is almost 25 months. She has been sleeping with me and hubby for a few months now (not my idea) I can't sleep when she is in the bed with us....there is just not enough room, and she needs to sleep in her own bed. She knows how to open doors, so I got this thing that goes over the knob in her room so she can't get out. (i feel so mean, but I know it has to be done) I just put her down for a nap, and she is SCREAMING and crying out "mommy" it is so upsetting (yes, she is my first) How do I go about making this as easty as possiable on the both of us? AND....if she happens to wake up in the middle of the night, should I let her cry herself to sleep, or get her up and let her sleep with us? HELP. I need sleep desperatly!!

Old 04-19-2004, 01:44 PM   #2

pinkie1234 HB User
Re: Help please

i know its hard to hear your kids cry. my youngest daughter used to sleep in my arms until 6 months. i just put her in the crib and let her cry herslef to sleep. now she goes to bed at bed time and only crys for a min or so. if you get her everytime she crys she will know that if she crys you will run to her and she will become spoiled. see if you can find a crib that is big enogh that she cant get out. and try to keep busiy after you put her to bed. it might help if you get someone who isnt related to babysit every night for about a week or so and you go out to the store or drive around, walk. this way you wont be tempted to go get her. if you can find a teenager or someone who doesnt have kids (but someone you can trust) they might be immune to the crying. you might feel like a bad person but its better for the child to know that she wont get everyting she wants just becasue she crys.

or maybe concider getting a king size bed. my oldest is 18 months and she has been sleping in her crib at night for about 9 months. i dont know how hard it might be for someone in her terrible twos to go through a change like that. maybe let her sleep with you until she starts pre school and tell her that since she is a big girl going to school she needs to sleep in her own bed. that way she will be out of that temper tantrum stage when you do it

just some suggestions

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2004, 06:37 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

whiteluluflower HB User

hi, just a warning to u, if u have the thing that goes over doorknob, if it is the white one, that clips together, and u have to push 2 botton things on the side, lol. (the ones we had for my Tyler) Your daughter could learn how to use them somehow,Somehow, My nephew Tyler was able to open them, except the one on the front door.... wonder why lol he learned how to open them some time when he was in his late 2s or so, he is 4 now

Old 04-20-2004, 11:41 AM   #4
Veteran

ABC~Mom HB User

i think you just need to put her in her room and let her cry it out.....she is going to have to learn to sleep in her own room and the sooner the better!
i dont think letting her sleep in your bed is a good idea, because i dont think she willl ever just "grow out of it" (me and my brother growing up for 9 years shared the same room, then when we moved and i had my own room i still slept in his room (in a separate bed of course) but he was 10 years old and i was 12 years old!)lol
so believe me, get her used to it now

Last edited by ~Winnie~; 04-20-2004 at 11:44 AM.

Old 04-22-2004, 09:31 AM   #5
(female)

curious1979 HB User
Thanks to all that responded. I have put her in her bed. Boy, does she scream. I feel so bad. But I know it has to be done. If she keeps screaming after a certain amount of time, should I go in to sit with her, or just let her scream? My problem is, I work a couple of days out of the week until midnight, my hubby puts her to bed, but he says he can't sleep without her in our bed. Plus, he is one that won't let her cry and goes in after 4 minutes of her screaming and crying. I tell him NOT too, but I am sure he still will when I am not at home and I am sure it will confuse her.

Old 04-23-2004, 08:53 PM   #6
Veteran

wattagirl HB User

would you consider putting a toddler bed in your room-i did that because the girls room are too far away from ours-my 2 1/2 yr old sleeps in her toddler bed beside us and my 10 mnth old sleeps in the crib at the foot of our bed-it doesn't bother me at all that they are in my room but i can't stand having kids in the bed with me-i can't sleep-anyway this works well for me and my husband-and the best part is that both girls go to bed at the same time as him now-9-so then i have my time

Old 04-23-2004, 10:55 PM   #7

Brooke~Lynn HB User

well whatever you decide to do, you and the dh are going to have to stick together, no going in after a few min. or she will just keep crying next time till, once again he comes and gets her....you have to stand united...but i think putting her in her room and getting her used to it now is a good idea, she is acustomed to sleeping with mommy and daddy, so now you need to get her acustomed to sleeping all by herself.
the transition will be nothing short of hell for all three of you, but in the end, you will be glad.

Last edited by Brooke~Lynn; 04-23-2004 at 10:56 PM.

Old 04-23-2004, 11:19 PM   #8

Kasarah HB User

As for the things on the door handles there are ones you can get that go under the door that you step on and then push the door open might delay her from opeing the door for a while...

As for the crying.....

You can put it too your husband like this ... do you want your child sleeping with you when they are 4 or 8 or 18 ... because if you dont stop this now that is what is going to happen and when are you two going to have time for just MoM and DAD time NEVER .... the way I was able to curb my sons habit and yes he is my first was to put him to bed and let him cry .... and man could he cry ... and sure make you feel guilty ..... let him cry 2 min .... go in dont touch him talk (about 1 to 2 min) to him leave, let him cry 4 minutes go in talk to him leave, let him cry 8 minutes (double your time) ... etc ... it comes down to will power who has more him or you ... and let me tell you they have more stuborness than you can shake a stick at ... it took about 4 nights and now he sleeps on his own and when he wakes up in the middle of the night for the odd reason he coos himself to sleep ....

He is now 8 1/2 months old and sleeps peacefully through the night

Closed Thread