It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2004, 10:56 PM   #1

lil'momma HB User
anyone else have an extremely active baby?

My 6 mth. old is very extremely active. He seems to be a little on the hyper side and more active than other babies I know this age. I'm not complaining ,I'm just wondering if this will mean that he will be hyperactive when he's older. He can never stay still when I sit him on my lap, He wants to jump up and down, he will bang toys on his little head(I had to actually take some away because of this, I'm scared he will hurt himself) I was trying to read the newspaper the other day and he wanted it so bad he kept grabbing at it so I let him have it just to see what he would do and he just went fool crumpling it up. Anyway I was just wondering if this was just all normal for some babies. He is hyper but he is a very happy baby also.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2004, 10:06 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

littleone314 HB User
Re: anyone else have an extremely active baby?

My son is the same way. He is 13 months now and has been this way since about 6 months. When he was an infant he slept all the time...he had a hard time feeding for a month or so after he was born because he just couldn't stay awake. Now..it's quite the opposite.

He also will bang toys against his head and sometimes he will even bang his head on the wall!!!!!!! I had a fit. He is constantly going and going and going...like the energizor bunny! NO JOKE. He never calms down. He doesn't like to cuddle unless he is really tired. I too, am worried about hyperactivity but I brought this up to his dr. and he told me that at this age it's just to early to diagnose and way to early to medicate. I don't even know if I would medicate him if in fact, when he is older he is diagnosed w/ some kind of hyperactivity disorder. I have heard some horror stories. My son does the exact same thing "lil'momma"...if I'm doing something or reading something that he wants he will stop at NOTHING to get it and if he does he just sits there and trys to tear it apart.

What bothers me the most is that he is so strong for his age. He has such a temper! When he starts getting really hyper...I'll just take him and sit him on my lap and I have to use all of my strength to hold him. He is stronger than my mother, my grandmother, and me.

I have often wondered what this might mean and many times I have just dismissed it to normal 1 year old behaivior. I think a lot of it is... however, some of it does throw off read flags in my head. He is just so determined to get what he wants and do what he wants!!!!!!

It must sound like he is the worst little child but he isn't really...like you said "lilmomma" my son is a really happy baby most of the time and he is a real joy in my life...he's just a hand full sometimes

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2004, 06:03 AM   #3

lil'momma HB User

littleone314, My baby was also the same way wanting to sleep all the time for the 1st 3 or 4 mths. and he is also is very strong for his age. Sometimes he will want to stand up when I need for him to sit and he will just keep pulling himself up. However, he does love to snuggle, he likes to be held alot. If he had his way I would be holding him probably 24/7 lol...

Old 04-24-2004, 12:31 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

littleone314 HB User

I wish Austin would cuddle more....he likes to be held but not cuddled ya know...the only time that he will cuddle with me is when he is sleepy and ready to go down for a nap or to bed. I love that time!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-24-2004, 12:58 PM   #5

Aston HB User

Please Please Please as they get older, think about food allergy especially to milk, i have 4 children (3 boys) & i cant even begin to go into the hyperactivity & behavior problems that have beencaused by eating foods their bodies for some reason cannot tolerate.

Old 04-24-2004, 01:44 PM   #6

Brooke~Lynn HB User

my 6 month old is a constant fire cracker as well...and she slept through her first months though.....it is like one day she woke up and said now my life will begin....and shes been going ever since! and she cant even cral yet....i am not sure she will i bet one day she will just stand up and take off running lol

Last edited by Brooke~Lynn; 04-24-2004 at 01:44 PM.

Old 04-28-2004, 09:25 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

TeTr01 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil'momma
littleone314, My baby was also the same way wanting to sleep all the time for the 1st 3 or 4 mths. and he is also is very strong for his age. Sometimes he will want to stand up when I need for him to sit and he will just keep pulling himself up. However, he does love to snuggle, he likes to be held alot. If he had his way I would be holding him probably 24/7 lol...
My daughter was the same way as a baby, always sleeping the first 3-4 months, then as the last poster said, "it is like one day she woke up and said now my life will begin!" LOL. I think some babies, just as adults, are happer on the go & doing something, rather then chilling out & taking things slow. KWIM?

Old 04-28-2004, 10:25 PM   #8
Senior Veteran

littleone314 HB User

I agree...I know with Austin ...he is happier when there is a lot going on around him.

Old 04-29-2004, 09:34 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

TeTr01 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleone314
I agree...I know with Austin ...he is happier when there is a lot going on around him.

Same with Toni, she loves to be outside running around & doing anything! She very rarely likes to sit around or just chill out. I feel so bad when it's cold outside & all she wants to do is go out & play!

Old 04-29-2004, 01:04 PM   #10
Senior Veteran

littleone314 HB User

Oh yeah...he loves being outside..he is so intreged by nature! But, he reacts terribly to mosquito bites so we have to keep him in a lot... he gets so mad! lol

Old 05-31-2004, 08:39 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

daystar91 HB User

Hi,
My son has always been a very active child....When he was a baby he did every thing early....He just was on the go from the minute he could move....If he wanted to get somewhere he wasnt' waiting for no one he was doing now....He has the ambition.....Now today he is five still very active and loveable....He is very active into sports, soccer and very outgoing....He can't wait till next year he can play football....By this time they will need something to run off some of that energy....There is not a teacher or child in the school that does not know him, he talks to everyone...He knows the difference though between stangers and school mates....He loves to be social....I just love that about him...It's funny though my husband and his father are the same way so i alway say it runs in the family....LOL.....I wouldn't worry......

Closed Thread