It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2004, 06:38 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

besafe20 HB User
can anyone who has experienced formula problems help me?

Hello I started my 2 month old on enfamil lactose free on Monday and let my milk dry up due to the fact he wasn't nursing well and not gaining weight. When he was 3 weeks old he was drinking enfamil lipil for 2 weeks because of a medication I was taking that would pass through the breast milk. Anyways, when he was on the first formula he was a little more fussy and awake much more than he was on breast milk. (he is normally a mellow baby). It wasn't anything terrible but someone suggested the next time I try formula I should try enfamil lipil lactose free which is why I put him on that now. Well I thought that could only help things so why not? Now it seems like every other day he starts screaming and he won't even take his pacifire which is a major shocker! No matter what we do he won't stop crying unless I carry him around holding him to my chest. If I put him down he starts screaming. I just hold him until he falls asleep and this has happened 3 times today . It is weird because I would think if it was a problem with the formula it would be all the time but he only gets like this a couple times a day, and some days are worse than others. Also wouldn't enfamil lactose free only help things and not make them worse? Could he have suddenly developed a formula intolerance that he didn't have when he was 3 weeks old? Any suggestions and experiences with your children and formula would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2004, 07:39 PM   #2

lil'momma HB User
Re: can anyone who has experienced formula problems help me?

I don't know. I would think if it were the formula he would still be fussy even when you hold him. Sounds like a normal baby just wanting to be held and cradled by mommy. If you don't have one already you could try the swaddling blanket. It is a blanket that swaddles the baby and has velcro on it to keep it tightly wrapped or you could just use a blanket and try to wrap it tight yourself, but it keeps the baby from wiggling out of it. I never had one for mine, I didn't know about them until he was a little older, but I've heard they are great for bedtime. You could also try an infant carrier that straps to you so he will be close to you. At least you could might be able to get some things done and have your hands free. I had one but it was to much weight for me to carry around because of my back. Well hope this helps, Good luck.

Old 04-24-2004, 07:46 PM   #3

lil'momma HB User

I forgot to ask. I was just curious as to why you put your baby on a lactose free formula without trying a regular formula first? He could also just be fussy because he's so use to your milk and it might take some time to get use to formula(a new taste ) but I still think he just wants mommy to hold and love him that's all.

Old 04-24-2004, 09:39 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

besafe20 HB User

Thanks for your reply. I did try the regular formula when he was 3 weeks old and he wasn't as calm on it as he was on breast milk (but certainly didn't behave like he is now!) so I decided to try the lactose free to see if he would behave the same way he does on breastmilk.

Old 04-24-2004, 11:01 PM   #5

Brooke~Lynn HB User

well maybe its colic???
i have had the best luck with similac advanced (milk based)
and believe me i have had my share of formula troubles! we have tried them from 7 dollars (carnation) all the way up to the 23 dollar ones (alimentum)
and the one that worked was similac...(go figure)
but things are sailing smoothly now...
and another thing....you may want to stick with just one for a period of more than a week or two, he just came off breast milk and his lil body needs time to adjust to formula, which isnt as easy on the tummy....
but if nothing else try the similac advanced and see how it goes, but dont expect an overnight miracle....give it time

Old 04-26-2004, 06:55 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

nyxin HB Usernyxin HB Usernyxin HB User

i agree that you should find one and give it time, unless it is aparent that it is making your baby miserable. i was on a bunch of meds too and i had to switch to formula. interestingly enough i went to a non milk base as my son seemed to have problems with my breast milk if i drank milk. when i stopped the dairy he got way better. i put him on infamil pro sobe lipil. he is doing great. he got a little constipated, but that was resolved in about a week.

as far as your baby crying, it doesnt sound like colic to me at this point, maybe gas which you can get some anti-gas drops for. try distracting your baby by going to a new room in the house, walk outside or sometimes i even open the freezer and the cool air makes them think about something else.

good luck.
C-Section Aug 1st 08 with baby BOY #3
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-26-2004, 08:29 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

My son is on regular infamil lipil and he supposedly has reflux, so he's on zantac (an acid reducer). And for awhile he went through a bottle aversion -- was perfectly happy, until we'd put a bottle in his face and he'd scream, arch his back. But it sounds like your child screams after eating. My cousin's 7 month old has been on zantac since he was a couple months old 'cuz he had horrible reflux -- he was breast & bottle fed and she said he never spit up but would scream in pain. When she's tried to wean him off the zantac -- he starts screaming again.

Maybe you should look into reflux causing this problem.

Closed Thread