It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2004, 07:20 PM   #1

lil'momma HB User
HELP! My baby is teething

My 6mth. old I believe is starting to teeth. For the last couple of months he has been showing signs like putting everything in his mouth, drooling, etc. I was reading that when a baby starts to teeth they are more vulnerable to infection and get colds, runny noses and stuff. He was sick for the 1st time with a terrible cold and congestion last week (He's better now, thank God) Anyways during this time and right after he has been getting worse about putting everything in his mouth, he is beginning to chew on things like the nipples on his bottles, and I have noticed that where I believe he is cutting a tooth is kind of white and swollen a little. I have a couple of questions about this if anyone could help me out. First of all how long will it be before it should come in? He is usually a very happy baby and never fussy and he has been extremely fussy and wanting me to hold him and walk around with him all the time. Could that be because he just wants me to comfort him? I believe he is cutting his tooth on the top, I've read that they usually get the 1st couple of teeth on the bottom, but they can get them on top first too. The main thing I worry about is that he is not taking his bottles or any liquids all that much, but I have read that this was common because it increases blood flow making it more sensitive while they drink. He takes his baby food well though. I worry because now he is only consuming about half of formula amount he usually gets. He will only take in about 1 to 2 oz. at a time. I am lucky if he will drink a full 8 oz. all together by the end of the day. Do you think that once is tooth appears he will go back to drinking his bottles like he did before? I'm worried that he will not get the nutrients he needs from drinking less formula.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2004, 07:28 PM   #2

lil'momma HB User
Re: HELP! My baby is teething

Also if anyone has anything that has worked for your teething babies please let me know. and do you think I should just start giving him more jar food and cereal mixed with formula since he is not taking his bottles well. I know that he is at least getting enough where he's not getting dehydrated because of his diapers and I try to give him sips of water every hr. when he will take it.

Old 04-25-2004, 08:13 AM   #3

Brooke~Lynn HB User

my 6 month old is teething too, and like you said i can see that her appetite is decreased....just chews on the nipple and spits it out.....
maybe if you didnt warm the formula up...or even serve it a little chilled...
baby orajel is ok, but wears off fast, tylnol is good but puts the littles ones out...
and my daughter hates that orajel....
as far as going back to the old way after the tooth comes in....well he'll still have a lot more to come in so i guess it will depend on him
my baby will at least take in 5 -8 oz at a time (just not as often as before)
and she has been FTT in the past and i am worried that the doctor might say something, but you know.....we cant force it down their throats!

Old 04-27-2004, 02:06 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

danimal15 HB User

I've been through teething with two babies now and both went through the same thing - wanting to be held all the time, waking up crying in the middle of the night, not wanting to drink a full bottle, runny nose, etc.

All those symptoms typically disappear when the tooth comes through the gum, and of course they re-appear when the next tooth starts to come in. It can be a long process, so hold on tight!

Dan

Closed Thread