It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2004, 01:07 PM   #1

Rustyo HB User
Outie Bellybutton

My 8 year old son came in from school the other week crying,upon asking him what the matter was he replied that other children at school have been making fun of him because he has an outie bellybutton. It may sound like a stupid thing but he is getting really worked up about it and claims he is a weirdo.

Please help,what should i do about this?!

Old 04-26-2004, 01:46 PM   #2

Brooke~Lynn HB User
Re: Outie Bellybutton

explain to him that it is like everything else on your body...usually it isnt exactly like someone else....tell him he is lucky because an outie bellybutton is actually a cool thing because not everyone gets to have one! tell him it is like being left handed, most ppl are right handed but that does not make them weird...
another odd but neat idea may be to find some kid appropriate picture of other children with outies to show him he is not alone!
i hope he gets through this...kids can be cruel sometimes when others arent just like the next person

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2004, 01:53 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Blastoff9600 HB UserBlastoff9600 HB User

Kids sure do come up with some of the wierdest things to tease others about.
I have one son who has an outie while the rest of us have innies. When he was about 2 and half he figured it was different since he could stick his finger in his daddy's but not his own. We just told him that it was fine and that there are others just like that.
Best thing to do is sit him down and explain that he isnt weird and that there are plenty of other kids just like him when it comes to that. If you can see if some of your friends who have kids have any like that as well. A good way to do that is to find some that are older than him that he thinks are cool and let him know or have them talk to him.
TTC #3 since 01/02

Old 04-26-2004, 03:38 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User

Tell him that it is an awesome thing to be different from the other kids, even if it's something like his belly button. Tell him that not being the same as everyone else is what makes him special (but don't say "special" in that tone that might imply slowness).

Hey, I wish I had an outie, so then mine would be a belly BUTTON and not a belly tunnel XD XD

But whatever you decide to do, good luck, and assure him that outies are definitely cute!

Dark Stranger

Old 05-22-2004, 04:05 PM   #5

charlton HB User

Tell your son that he is special and unique due to his
bellybutton as there are not that many of us about.
My bellybutton sticks out and is extremely large
which I have had since birth and have been told
that I will have it for the rest of my life. I am 35
now. I was teased constantly about my navel at
school and just realised that everyone pokes fun
at people who are different from everyone else.
He should just understand that they are only
jealous of him and feel left out.

Old 05-29-2004, 05:02 PM   #6

Rustyo HB User

Thanks for all three of your replies,it was greatly appreciated.

I have told him how unique(and cute!)his outie is and how these kids are just being silly because they are at that age. I also took your advice and told him that it is nothing to be ashamed about as it is just a belly button and it does nothing.

Anyway he seems happier now

Thanks again

Closed Thread