It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2004, 08:07 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

besafe20 HB User
baby lost 9 oz this week im sorry i keep asking ?s but it's my first child

Things have not been going well at all and I am so scared. Last Monday my baby weighed 11 lb 14 oz and we put him on formula then next day. (that was my previous post about formula problems.) Well he has been refusing to eat normal. He is on enfamil lipil. He eats 2 oz and then starts screaming. He seems so gassy when he eats and is always filling his diper while I am feeding him so I don't know if that is the problem. He is 2 months old and eating 1/2 of what he used to consume at 3 weeks old. He is a happy baby when he isn't eating (except for 3 days out of the week when he has screaming episodes which I also think is gas). I was really concerned about his eating habits yesterday because the past few days he didn't have any colicky behavior unless I was feeding him and he barely ate. So I took him in to be weighed and he was 11 lb 5 oz. I started crying and I am getting chocked up as I am typing this because I feel so helpless. Why is my baby happy unless I feed him? I am so worried he is going to continue losing weight. My doctor can't understand why he acts perfectly happy in between feedings then screams at the bottle. He has no fever or signs of illness and acts normal. I don't know if he gets painful gas when eating or if there is something more. Oh and his eczema has gotten worse this week. I plan on trying soy incase he is reacting to the milk in his formula.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2004, 08:31 PM   #2

Brooke~Lynn HB User
Re: baby lost 9 oz this week im sorry i keep asking ?s but it's my first child

I WOULD DO SOME SERIOUS INTERNET SEARCHES BEFORE USING SOY!!!!!
they are linking it to so many problems later down the road...please please please do some research first!
and as i said in your last thread, try similac advanced (milk based) it is only 11 dollars at walmart....and i have had wonderful luck with it with my daughter who was failure to thrive!
and i have a ?
didnt you say he just came off the breast?
if so is it possible he isnt used to the nipple yet?
and it may be the nipple he does not like....for instance i would not take the nursers (with that flat top nipple when i was a baby) and my daughter wont take the gerber "new traditions" nipples either....i have to get the plain ol' nipples (nothing fancy)
and my daughter wont eat if the nipple is to fast or to slow....so maybe that could be another problem.
i hope someone else has more suggestions , and if i think of any more i will post em....
keep us updated!

Old 04-27-2004, 09:23 PM   #3

lil'momma HB User

Maybe you should keep trying different kinds of formula , that particular kind may be upsetting his tummy a bit or if you are using the powder kind you could try the liquid kind. As crazy as it seems your baby could actually be teething(mine is now so I have been doing alot of reading lately) I've read that while most babies don't start teething until about 6mths. some start earlier and some have actually been born with a tooth. Babies can teethe for a few months before the tooth appears.( mine has been showing signs since he was 3 mths.) Well if you are wondering what teething has to do with not eating I was wondering the same thing until I read that they will actually start drinking less because when they suck it increases blood flow or something that makes the gums more sensitive to pain and they will refuse the bottle. My baby is now only consuming about 1/2 the formula he use to before and it does worry me also. Maybe you could try rubbing his gums a little with a wet cloth before he eats to see , I read that helps so they will eat. Well it could be a number of things, but just wanted to give you some ideas of what it could be. Good luck and keep us postponed. You have me curious now.

Old 04-27-2004, 10:14 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

besafe20 HB User

Actually I never really established a good nursing relationship with my son. I was pumping him bottles for 5 weeks until he finally latched on. At 6 weeks only a week after I started breastfeeding him he started fussing at the breast and I could only get him to nurse 1/2 the time and not very well. So he is definately experienced with bottles and didn't start fussing with them until recently. I am going to research soy right now. I am going to get Dylan weighed the day after tomorrow to see if he has gained any weight back. Thanks for your replies. At this point I am desperate to get him eating. He gained weight quickly in the beggining so luckily he has some body fat to spare until we get through this.

Old 04-28-2004, 07:47 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

I know I mentioned this before, but do some research on reflux or silent reflux. My child went through the same thing and unfortunately, I don't know what we did to get him eating again. The doctors weren't any help, would just say -- hmm, that's strange, a child that age should be drinking xxx number of ounces within 20 minutes. Luckily we had a dietician, who gave us a formula to add extra powder to increase calories. We tried every thing -- fast flowing nipples, teething nipples, different bottles, different formula, gave him tylenol and stuff for teething. Researched bottle aversion. The only thing I can suggest is not to stress out and get upset with your baby. I know it's hard, but he could end up associating the bottle with stress, etc.
We found that "sleep feeding" getting up at night and feeding our child in the middle of the night, worked. He was relaxed and sleepy, we were relaxed (and sleepy) and we could get more food down him. We also fed him more often. When he threw a fit, we'd pop a pacifier in his mouth, when he calmed down, we pulled it out, stuck the bottle in. Did that several times.

Your child is quite a bit younger than mine, but as ours got older -- we fed him yogurt, babyfood chicken etc. Which he loved. I was concerned he'd get dehydrated, but at least he was getting nutrients.

Old 04-28-2004, 10:55 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

besafe20 HB User

Omg your baby sounds just like mine. I have to pop a pacifire in to get him to calm down and try the bottle again. He also does MUCH better at night time feedings when he is 1/2 asleep. The doctor and nurses are just like hmm that's weird maybe you should try changing formula. They were acting like they have never seen this behavior before. I think they want to label him as colicky because they really just don't know. I am like how can he have colic when he just fusses during and after feeds. Last night I read your post on the other post I had up and I did research reflux in babies. So don't worry I didn't ignore your advice . It actually described Dylan very well. I am going to tell my doctor about it. Kinda frustrates me that I have to diagnose my child and not the pediatrician!

Old 04-28-2004, 01:24 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

My cousin with the baby with reflux went through the same thing. Was told her baby had colic; however, her first DID have colic and this baby acted a lot different. Like he was in pain. She said she had a different baby once the doctor prescribed an acid reducer (zantac)

With our son, we thought it was teething. One doctor thought he might have thrush way back in his throat. I researched bottle aversion. I thought he might be ready to wean off the bottle --tried shot glasses, oral syringes, different nipples, flavoring the formula, differrent temperatures. The doctors all acted as if they'd never heard of this before. My MIL is a nurse and recently (now that it's not so much of a problem) suggested we bring a bottle to the doctor's office and SHOW them what's happening.

In any event, we just go so tired of being treated like we were stupid that one of us stayed up until 11 and woke him up to feed him, then we set an alarm for 2 or 3 and fed him again. The only thing that really worked as far as getting more volume down him and not having him scream at us was sleep feeding. And apparently we weren't alone in this 'cuz when I researched bottle aversion there are lots and lots of parents who are going thru the same thing and are trying to find a solution.

Old 04-28-2004, 02:38 PM   #8
(female)

kenziesmom HB User

I would be wary of switching formulas even different brands to often that can cause other problems to. when he cries does he staighten his legs or curl them up? sometimes that is a clue because they tend to curl up if it is pain. Is it possible he has an allergy to milk? I agree though with brook-lynn about researching soy milk first. My friends little boy had to drink a formula call nutramigen.

Old 04-28-2004, 03:44 PM   #9

Brooke~Lynn HB User

lots of babies have had good luck on nutramigen.....it is neither soy or milk based (or so my dactor said)

Old 04-28-2004, 06:33 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

My son is a very happy guy. But during the times he refused to eat, he'd drink about an ounce or two and then start screaming, arching his back. We'd get the bottle near him he'd throw a fit. Once in the car I gave him a nipple from the bottle and he was fine -- switched it with a bottle and he screamed bloody murder.. Once I even tried spoon feeding him formula. The worst feeding was the one right away in the morning. I'd cry, he'd cry.

Old 04-28-2004, 07:40 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

besafe20 HB User

Ok so I went to the doctor today (couldn't stand seeing him in so much distress). I went to another pediatrician and told her that I thought acid reflux was a possibility and told her about my son's behavior. She agreed especially after I told her how he would arch his back and get stiff as a board when he screamed during feedings. She prescribed some medicine to give him 4 times a day. She also reffered me to a gastro pediatrician to make sure we are handling this correctly. I hope he gets feeling better soon. I don't think formula has been a problem but she suggested I keep him on soy for a couple weeks and see if it helps with his eczema and gas. She says if all goes well and he starts getting better I can put him back on milk based formula and see how he does. I am hopeful that these problems have nothing to do with formula and it is just the reflux but we will see. I am familiar with nutramigin and would like to avoid it if possible due to the cost, plus I heard it is putrid stuff. I don't want him on soy so I am looking forward to placing him on a milk based formula permanantly.

PS: Thank you so much for the advice on the reflux. If it wasn't for you we would still be switching formulas and not knowing what to do. My pediatrician sure didn't havea clue! I had been researching the internet through search engines and didn't know about reflux until you told me to look it up. I am also happy to report he has gained 6 ounces back in just 2 days so we are making progress.

Old 04-28-2004, 08:23 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommyof4 HB User

Wonderful news!!! My 21 month old has reflux and I can tell you, you will get a lot of anwers from the Gastrointerologist. They are wonderful people!! The biggest thing we have done besides medication is to NEVER let him sleep flat. The GI told us to put a pillow underneath his mattress when he sleeps. It doesn't go under his sheet or underneath him because that can pose a smothering hazard. It goes underneath the mattress so he is alway propped up. The night time problems have been cut drastically. Good luck to you all

Closed Thread