It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2004, 05:18 PM   #1

moni1 HB User
Question Time Out Question

How do you give a 2-1/2 year old a time out? I'm a little lost on this one. I've tried several times sitting my dd down and not letting her move for 2 minutes. I think she thinks it's fun. It certainly gets her more attention. She will try to make me laugh during this "time out" too. Any suggestions?
Babe #2 c-section 11/06

Old 05-01-2004, 08:43 PM   #2

Lillove3322 HB User
Re: Time Out Question

Hello! I live with my bf and he has a 5 year old sister. We have found that the best way to give her a time out is to tell her that youare going to count to 5 and if she doesnt listen or do what she needs to then she will get a time out. Her time out consists of us not getting mad at her but being as serious as possible. She goes in her room ( whether she is carried in or goes in willingly ) and has to lay down in her bed. No toys videos or games. She has to lay there for 5 min. She can scream the whole time or she can be calm. Then if she still wont cooperate then its bed time. Sometimes she is just over tired and NEEDS a nap. The main thing here is not to do it a couple of times and then give up, just stick with it and it will work! Good Luck!!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2004, 10:03 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommyof4 HB User

We do a minute per year and it's nose in the corner. We tried turning off the tv and making them sit down but it didn't work at all. We have tried a few things but the only thing that works is to take the fun completely out of it for us. Because we have 4 kids and they have tried to play in time out before, we are kind of strict about it. But there is no denying it works for us. So for the 4 year old, it's 4 minutes with nose to the corner, 3 year old 3 minutes and so on and so forth. I also only use the oven timer. That way there is no forgetting on my part and no asking on theirs. They are also not allowed to talk in time out as it is a time to think about how they are going to do things differently when they get out. Good luck and I HTH

Old 05-04-2004, 08:42 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

I think the important thing is to remove yourself from the room. If she's keeping you engaged, it isn't really a punishment. If you can't leave the room, at least stand behind her or on the other side of the room and refuse to be pulled in to conversations/arguments (in other words, IGNORE her as much as possible for the duration of the time-out - probably just 1 or 2 minutes at that age).

Closed Thread