It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2004, 12:33 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommyof4 HB User
Getting the order wrong with potty training

My boys are 3 and 21 months. My 3 year old will be 4 in October so we are getting closer. He, the oldest one, wants NOTHING to do with the potty. Running water while he sits there does nothing, underwear does nothing, setting a timer and taking him does nothing, promises to do things or get things does nothing, and the list goes on. This boy does not want to go on the potty and even dislikes his pull up being changed. He is fully content to let his butt fall off in the mess he creates.

Skip to the 21 month old. He takes his diaper off 3-4 times a day, has been found sitting fully clothed on the potty, runs to the potty if you want him to go, and will potty if you mention the word water... He's my gung ho guy. He has never gone to the bathroom on the toilet but you can tell that he gets the whole idea.

Here is the problem... Do we just leap frog the 3 year old for now? Do I push harder and try to potty train them both at the same time? I am about ready to throw the 21 month old in a pull up and tape the 3 year old to the toilet until something happens Any advice?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2004, 07:38 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

MandyAnne26 HB User
Re: Getting the order wrong with potty training

Every child is ready at a different time. Both of my older children were both closer to 3 by time they were fully trained...my youngest is 21 months and she has only gone on the toilet once but she loves to sit on the potty and shows more signs of readiness than the other 2 did at her age. What kind of motivation have you tried? A phone call to daddy at work (or mommy if you work) after going potty can be a good motivator for some children, also a special treat that they aren't normaly alowed to have is great also, you just have to make sure it's something they wouldn't get otherwise. Also, try to ease up a bit and try not to get so fustrated with him. He will pick up on any bad vibes you have. Make it as fun as possible, and don't compare him to his younger brother. Also, you may want to take a trip to the doctor to see if there is any physical reason why he's not making more progress with training.
You can also try searching the web for potty training tips.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2004, 08:52 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommyof4 HB User

Thanks... Sorry if I sounded harsh on him about the potty training. I have changed diapers now for almost 5 years so I don't mind him being in Pull Ups. I worry about him socially because he is so late with potty training. He is the only child in his Mother's Day Out class NOT in underwear.

My problem is that I get frustrated, think he isn't ready, and give up for awhile. I wonder how one goes about training two of them at the same time. Hopefully, it won't be an issue for much longer because he is showing an interest now that the little one is interested. The funny thing is that the little one is now scared of the potty since I tried to sit him on it before a bath

Oh well, one day at a time. Thanks again

Old 05-13-2004, 01:19 PM   #4
(female)

jasaac HB User

Our oldest was the same way. Finally, we realized the Jake likes money. So, we told him that every time he goes potty he gets $1. He was trained in about 4 days. With our 2nd boy we used the same idea, but he liked candy. So we used fruit-rollups and gave him one every time he went, no matter what. He was trained pretty fast too.

Old 05-14-2004, 03:52 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

Lindarella HB User

I also used the bribe. Have you tried letting them stand up to pee? I had a little 2-step stool that I used. I put cheerios in the toilet for target practice. For pooping, they either sat on the big toilet with one of those plastic seats or they used the potty chair.

Old 05-15-2004, 12:55 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommyof4 HB User

Thanks so much to all of you. I talked to the Occupational Therapist that works with my youngest son and she wants me to try a stool for my 3 year old. She said that he might feel more confident if he felt more secure. I am also going to try to find something that interests him that he can have if he goes in the potty. Thanks again

Old 06-11-2004, 09:32 PM   #7

tlorenet HB User

I have the same problem and came here hoping to find help. My 3 year old could care less. His doctor even suggested a clear container filled with "potty m&m's". That hasn't worked either. My 20 month old will go potty as long as you just take her (mention it and she will go before she get to the bathroom) or she will go sit on potty with her clothes on and potty by herself (now if she can just figuire out how to pull her shorts down). I'm at my wits end too. My daughter would be fully potty trained if her brother would just do it. She copies everthing that big brother does.

Closed Thread