It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2004, 02:44 PM   #1
(female)

whelans5 HB User
HELP!!12 yr son - ADHD - no respect, never thinks about what he does

My 12 year old son has ADHD and has learning problems, so they tell me. In the later part of the year in primary they started teaching the kids to read. By the time he started grade 1 he was reading 1 or 2 grade levels above what he should have been. I've always been told he was the smartest, kid by far, in the class. In grade 5, I was told he was having learning difficulties and now they tell me he has learning problems. Anyone ever heard of something like this before. How can he go from being the smartest in the class to a challenged learner. Also, his teacher says he is very immature for his age. He does have friends, but doesn't keep them for long. He gets along better with kids about 5-8 years old.

Also, he's very disrespectful and swears a lot. Won't help out unless he thinks he will be paid. Today, I was visited by a neighbour who says he was carving names into her wooden playset. Apparently he continued to do so even after the other kids told him not to.

At home he is very disrespectful to me. He will go to the fridge and take whatever he feels like taking. I know kids go to the fridge for stuff, but this kid is always stealing food. I hide the kids' recess foods and juice paks in my bedroom and he will go in (without my knowing) and drink up the juice and eat the recess snacks and will lie to my face. He will lie about anything. Even if I see him do something, he will lie about it.

I am at my wits end with this child. I don't know what to do with him.

Any thoughts or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2004, 06:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sherry47 HB User
Re: HELP!!12 yr son - ADHD - no respect, never thinks about what he does

Having ADHD has nothing to do with a childs intelligence. Most ADHD'ers are of above average intelligence. People have this preconceived notion that these children are somehow not as smart as everyone else. It makes me so angry when I hear this. Yes, they have learning difficulties. They just have to be taught in a different way. They learn differently. Perhaps that is what makes most of them geniuses.

If your son is diagnosed as ADHD, you need to realize this doesn't mean he is not still the same intelligent boy you have always known. It does mean that you are going to have to become his advocate to make sure he gets the extra help he needs. Find out how he learns, make sure they develop an IEP,Individualized Education Plan, and then make sure it is carried out.

Good luck with your son. These children can be a handful to raise, but they are very special.

God Bless,
Sherry

Closed Thread