It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2004, 09:37 PM   #1

lil'momma HB User
breaking baby from bottle

At what age should you try to break a baby from the bottle? My son just turned 7 months old and I have been trying to get him use to a sippy cup but he has trouble getting the suck right. I just read the thread about language delays because of sippy cups so I think I may not worry with them, but what age shoud a baby at least drink from some type of cup? I don't think sippy cups are much different from a bottle anyways because they still have to suck so why go from sucking a bottle to sucking a sippy cup , why not just wait until a little older to drink from a cup. Everyone I know seems to be rushing their babies off the bottle, some as early as 5 mths. hmmm?

Old 05-13-2004, 09:48 PM   #2

lil'momma HB User
Re: breaking baby from bottle

well I was just looking up some stuff and came across the avent magic training cups. I've seen them before but didn't pay much attention to them then. They are designed where a baby doesn't have to suck and they have a spill proof vavle that only closes when not in use. I also read that a baby will catch on faster than some of the others. Has anyone tried these cups? Do they really work that well?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2004, 09:59 PM   #3
(female)

angelsalive HB User

HI Mate
As a mother of 5 and Grand Ma to 3 , I think around 1year old is a good time to have bubs off the bottle. Start earlier by replacing a bottle feed with a sipping cup. The hardest to stop will be the bottles they have at sleep time. But with persistance they will sleep with out it. If you leave it too long it becomes a habit just like any other and very hard to break.
Good Luck

Old 05-14-2004, 12:48 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

littleone314 HB User

I definantly think that 1 year is a good time to ween from a bottle. They still have the urge to suck and it is still a much needed comfort tool to them and I think anything before 11 months is to soon. However, that's just my opinion.

The new study on sippy cups and language delays is very interesting to me because my son is showing signs of language delays and with his cleft palate is prone to this type of delay I am cautious on what to buy.

I'd like to hear more about those Avent sippy cups. I think I mentioned before that Gerber makes spill proof sippy cups w/ removable valves. So, you can use them w/out the spill proof option. A little messier lol but that's ok.

Last edited by littleone314; 05-14-2004 at 12:52 AM.

Old 05-14-2004, 05:45 AM   #5
(female)

curious1979 HB User

My daughter (now 2) was off of the bottle at 9 mo. She has NO language problems what so ever....It is hard to keep her quiet most of the time. Good Luck!

Old 05-14-2004, 06:18 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommyof4 HB User

We made a slow transition. My son is language delayed and I still think we did the right thing with him. He drank only from a bottle until he was about a year old. Then he drank from a bottle except at meal time until he was about 14 months. Then we made the mistake with the spill proof cups..oops until he was about 20 months old. I still give him a bottle now at 22 months old if he is sick and I need to force fluids because it is comfort thing and he will take it where he will not drink out of a cup then.

You can always try offering the cup and following her lead to an extent. Some babies are more than happy to give up the bottle so there is no struggle with them. I also agree that weening is a good idea at about a year old.

Old 05-15-2004, 11:45 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User

Eh don't worry about it too much...my little cousin is going on 4 and she's still drinking from a bottle, but she cries and cries if she can't get milk in a bottle; for some odd reason she can drink water and juice from a cup through a straw but she only takes milk in a bottle. I don't know why...kinda funny though.

Another fun story is when my aunt (who is ironically enough my little cousin's mom) decided it was time for me to quit drinking from a bottle and she took it and simply threw it in the garbage with me watching. But I didn't cry or flicnh; I simply looked her right in the eye and told her "It's okay. Grandma will get me a new one" and she did too Hahahaha.

But I wouldn't be concerned with weining (spelling??) until the little whipper-snapper is 2. I may have drank from a bottle for many years but I have no speech problems or dental problems; I never needed braces. Just my own opinion here but I wish thee the best of luck with this no matter how you choose to handle it. ^.^

Dark Stranger - was SPOILED XD XD

Closed Thread