It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2004, 10:43 AM   #1

pinkie1234 HB User
my baby keeps touching herself

i have an 18 month old little girl. she goes into her diaper and plays with her nana. she takes off her pants, un zips her feetie jammies, uunsnaps her overalls. what ever i put on her she gets off somehow and goes into her diaper. anyone have any suggestions on how i can get her to stop? is this normal?

Old 05-17-2004, 10:51 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User
Re: my baby keeps touching herself

Makes me wonder if she might have a yeast infection. Maybe it itches. Is she red "down there"? Have vaginal discharge?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2004, 11:59 AM   #3

pinkie1234 HB User

she gets a little diaper rash every so often but thats the only red she gets. i'll have to make an apointment for the doctor. i didnt even think it could be something like that.

Old 05-18-2004, 11:39 AM   #4
Veteran

JLKH HB User

Normal exploration of this area by babies is normal and perfectly fine. They are just figuring out their bodies and there is nothing wrong with this. But the extent to which your daughter seems fixated on this one area does make me think there is something down there that is bothering her. I would be interested in hearing what the doctor says about it.

Old 05-20-2004, 08:59 PM   #5

JennMomTo3 HB User

My daughter use to be the same way. She still does it from time to time and she will be 2 in a couple of weeks. We have tried a lot of things, The one that works the best for her sounds silly, but it works. Put her diaper on a little snug, so she cannot get her hands down it, then put tape around the tabs. Use one long piece of tape and start at the back, and end at the back. Hopefuuy she won't be able to get it undone. If her zip up jammmies don't have feet in them (we cut the feet off of Kimmie's) put them on backwards.
Now that we are potty training it is hard to keep a pull-up or panties on her. Half the time she is running around with a naked rear-end. When she is outside, which is everyday lately, swimming, it is real bad, because she doesn't like wet clothes on. I guess it is good that we live in the country and my parent's live next door.
Good Luck.

Old 05-22-2004, 12:22 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User

Hehe, it's normal for little whipper-snappers to want to explore their bodies. Your daughter is probably thinking, "Hmmm, is this another mouth?"

It's all good, just so long as they don't start exploring other kids' bodies That would be bad.

Dark Stranger - was self-educated XD XD

Old 05-23-2004, 06:37 AM   #7

nitsirk71 HB User

It is totally normal for children to be interested in their private parts. My daughter was around 2 when she realized she had something interesting down there. Whenever she would start touching herself I would explain to her that it was okay to do that but it needed to be done in privacy (in the bathroom or her bedroom). And then I would make sure she washed her hands afterward. It's important to make sure that children don't think their private parts are "bad" or "dirty". Self exploration is just part of our little ones development.

Old 06-11-2004, 10:38 PM   #8

tlorenet HB User

It is normal for children to explore their bodies. The best thing to do it to ignore it. The less that you pay attention the less that she will be interested in doing it.

My 20 month old is doing the same thing right now. She is already starting to lose interest in it due to the fact that we don't let her get attention from doing it.

Closed Thread