It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2004, 03:52 AM   #1
Senior Veteran

no patience HB User
Unhappy Any Suggestions!!!!!!

i have a 7 year old daughter and for the life of me i can,t seem to get her to get ready for school on time she just will not get dressed i have to ask her at least 6 or 7 times every morning i've tried everything and nothing works any suggestions would be helpful thanks so much kelleigh

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2004, 05:50 AM   #2

KritterKeeper HB User
Re: Any Suggestions!!!!!!

Your ID gives me a bit of a clue that perhaps you and your daughter are opposites? I don't know which is more frustrating--having a kid just like you or one who's your polar opposite!! (I have both of those AND one in between.) The one suggestion I can give you (I'm NOT a morning person either) is to prepare for the next day as much as possible the night before. Have your daughter pick out what she'd like to wear and set it out. Include a special hair tie, socks or any other fun item. Also ask what she'd like for breakfast if you have time to fix it. Anything that can make her look forward to getting up and take away some of the drudgery of getting ready will help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2004, 07:46 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

MandyAnne26 HB User

Have you tried any incentives for her to get ready? if she hurries up and gets ready then she can watch some cartoons untill it's time to go? Some kids are just slow, i have a 9 year old son who will spend 20min in the bathroom and not even pick up his tooth brush, it takes him anywhere from an hour to hour in a half to have a bath, get dressed and eat and brush his teeth on a slow day. Something i found that helps is to fix him something to eat that she can eat on the way so that will eliminate eating, on really slow days i'd give my son some milk or juice in one of those rubbermaid juice box containers and some toast or a cereal bar, some fruit etc. I found it helped a bit because there was one less thing that he had to do to get ready. It's hard sometimes to have a slow child when you just want to get out the door on time i haven't found too much to motivate my son into going faster, ithink some kids just go at their own pace. But getting things picked out the night before, making sure homework and things are all ready the night before will help lots.

Old 05-20-2004, 09:58 AM   #4
Inactive

KimRick HB User

I have the same problem w/ my daughter!!! I have found that if I wake her up without rushing her or pushing her to get dressed, she seems to work better with me. SOMETIMES I do have to help her get dressed, but I have found that the nicer and more playful I am with her, the better results I get. Don't get me wrong, I still get the whining and the pleading about not wanting to go EVERY morning, but it does go somewhat smoother when she's not being rushed &/or pushed out the door. I have also got into the habit of having her pick her clothes out the night before, it really does cut time!

Old 05-20-2004, 12:51 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

no patience HB User

thanks guys for all the suggestion i'm definitly gonna try some of them they really are some great suggestions thanks so much all of you i'll let you know how it goes tomorrow morning thanks again you all had some brilliant ideas i never thought off chat soon kelleigh

Old 05-20-2004, 01:10 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User

Hello, I have a similar situation, but have it under control so far. I have a 5 year old, whose just like his daddy. They take forever to get out of bed, while I'm one of those people who literally pop out of bed with no problem. I threaten to wake my son up earlier. He doesn't want to do that, so he gets up when I tell him. If he eats too slowly, I tell him that I'll throw his milk down the sink or turn off TV. It sounds cruel, but it works. Another think I'll do is to threaten to put on an extra loud alarm clock.

Ooo....I thought of something else...Use my son's voice changer to wake him up...Ok, I won't....That's too evil, but fun.

I remeber seeing a segment on a TV comedy series, where the father had trouble getting his son out of bed. He solved the problem by throwing his son's stinky socks on his face. I only do that to my hubby when I have PMS.

Old 05-20-2004, 01:31 PM   #7
Inactive

KimRick HB User

I also will not let my daughter watch cartoons while she eats breakfast; if I do then she "forgets" what she's supposed to do and just stares at the t.v.

Old 05-21-2004, 05:07 AM   #8
Senior Veteran

no patience HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpiezoe
Hello, I have a similar situation, but have it under control so far. I have a 5 year old, whose just like his daddy. They take forever to get out of bed, while I'm one of those people who literally pop out of bed with no problem. I threaten to wake my son up earlier. He doesn't want to do that, so he gets up when I tell him. If he eats too slowly, I tell him that I'll throw his milk down the sink or turn off TV. It sounds cruel, but it works. Another think I'll do is to threaten to put on an extra loud alarm clock.

Ooo....I thought of something else...Use my son's voice changer to wake him up...Ok, I won't....That's too evil, but fun.

I remeber seeing a segment on a TV comedy series, where the father had trouble getting his son out of bed. He solved the problem by throwing his son's stinky socks on his face. I only do that to my hubby when I have PMS.
thanks for responding you are to funny the thing with my daughter is she just does'nt care about punishment the only thing that bothers her a little is no tv but then she gets over it one time i had her get up early for a week with her dad which was 6:30 and get dressed she hated that i told her today is her last chance if she makes us late we are gonna do that again so hopefully that will work thanks for the advice muchly appreciated luv kelleigh

Last edited by no patience; 05-21-2004 at 05:08 AM.

Old 05-21-2004, 05:13 AM   #9
Senior Veteran

no patience HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimRick
I also will not let my daughter watch cartoons while she eats breakfast; if I do then she "forgets" what she's supposed to do and just stares at the t.v.
i don't let her eat and watch tv either otherwise we'd be even later lol i told magpiezoe that one time we made her get up with her dad at 6:30 in the morning and get dressed and she hated it so i told her today is her last chance if we are late she's getting up with her dad she listens to him thanks for all the advice though i'm definitly gonna try some of those suggestions it definitly makes sense about not making her feel like she's being pushed out the door i'll keep you posted thanks again luv kelleigh

Last edited by no patience; 05-21-2004 at 05:15 AM.

Old 05-21-2004, 07:53 AM   #10
Senior Veteran

californiasunflower HB User

It takes 21 days to form a habit, and once you get your morning routine down to your exact science, and your daughter understands that this is what needs to happen by your follow-up, it will run smoother. It will take more work at first but will be worth it.

Making sure everything that you can possibly do to prepare the night before is essential so that your morning is devoted to just getting ready to get out the door at the designated time.

My girl is picky about her clothing so she was more difficult to get her into the routine. I wanted her dressed. The thing was, I wasn't going to have a power struggle with her so I simply stated that at such and such time we are walking out the door regardless if you are dressed or not. She was delivered to the daycare in her PJs. For her, that was the last time.

My favorite word for my kids is "Regardless." That way we stay out of arguing, etc., and they can't dispute it! Mine even came home and told me that her teacher uses my word!

Good luck on happy mornings together!

Old 05-22-2004, 06:33 AM   #11
Senior Veteran

no patience HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiasunflower
It takes 21 days to form a habit, and once you get your morning routine down to your exact science, and your daughter understands that this is what needs to happen by your follow-up, it will run smoother. It will take more work at first but will be worth it.

Making sure everything that you can possibly do to prepare the night before is essential so that your morning is devoted to just getting ready to get out the door at the designated time.

My girl is picky about her clothing so she was more difficult to get her into the routine. I wanted her dressed. The thing was, I wasn't going to have a power struggle with her so I simply stated that at such and such time we are walking out the door regardless if you are dressed or not. She was delivered to the daycare in her PJs. For her, that was the last time.

My favorite word for my kids is "Regardless." That way we stay out of arguing, etc., and they can't dispute it! Mine even came home and told me that her teacher uses my word!

Good luck on happy mornings together!
thanks i have the same problem with my daughter being picky to i have like the worst luck in the world i'll tell you a couple experiences #1 she's all dressed had let the dog out to go potty it's 8:20 we leave at 8:30 let the dog back in she's all muddy jumps on here puts a big muddy paw print right smack in the middle of her white shirt (so happy that happened )heres one more driving to school she dumps her chocolate milk all over her self we turn around yup LATE AGAIN!!!! lol my life is grand i don't know if you read all the posts but i gave her her last chance yesterday and she'd have to get up early with her dad and have him pick out her stuff (he does'nt match stuff very well ) lol it worked i went upstairs cause i heard her up but it took her awhile to come down and guess what she was getting dressed i was like oh my gosh what a good girl so for now i think were good your advice is awesome she would be so embarressed going to school in her pjs if she starts this again i'm definitly trying that one ha ha ha !!!!!! thanks for the goodluck wishes and the advice kelleigh

Last edited by no patience; 05-22-2004 at 06:36 AM.

Old 05-22-2004, 01:03 PM   #12
Senior Veteran

Yes, I can relate to having her "pretty as a picture" and then ruined by dirt or some other substance! So glad that she dressed herself after considering what her dad might chose!

Old 05-23-2004, 03:45 PM   #13
Senior Veteran

no patience HB User

Quote:
Yes, I can relate to having her "pretty as a picture" and then ruined by dirt or some other substance! So glad that she dressed herself after considering what her dad might chose!
friday went well we'll see what monday brings lol

Last edited by no patience; 05-23-2004 at 03:46 PM.

Old 05-24-2004, 09:02 PM   #14
Senior Veteran

No Patience! How did it go Monday morning! I hope good!

Keep track of the number of days to make the good habit with diligent enforcement! 21, 20, 19, and so on....That always helped me to keep my smile knowing at the end of 21 it should be more harmonic! Then on to the next quest!

Old 05-25-2004, 06:57 PM   #15
Senior Veteran

no patience HB User

Quote:
No Patience! How did it go Monday morning! I hope good!

Keep track of the number of days to make the good habit with diligent enforcement! 21, 20, 19, and so on....That always helped me to keep my smile knowing at the end of 21 it should be more harmonic! Then on to the next quest!
tomorrow(wednesday) will be day #17 and she's been doing great she actually woke me up this morning and said mom does this match and i thought i was dreaming with in 5 minutes she was dressed yay!!! i'm definitly gonna keep counting down the days where did you learn the 21 day thing anyway it seems like it's gonna work pretty well thanks again kelleigh

Last edited by no patience; 05-25-2004 at 07:00 PM.

Closed Thread