It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2004, 01:27 AM   #1
Senior Veteran

littleone314 HB User
Why is he so angry?

I know it's normal for 14 month olds to pitch fits. BUT, sometimes he will get so angry and hit my arm or try and slap my face. His temper is massive. His fits when I tell him NO or something aren't long at all they last maybe 40 seconds but he will turn blood red, scream, and throw his arms out in an attempt to hit me. He does this with his grandmother and great-grandmother. If he is sitting in his highchair and he doesn't want to eat what I'm trying to feed him he will take what he is playing with (usually a plastic spoon) and slap my arm with it. I'm a first time mom and I don't know if this is normal behavior or not.

At his age I'm not really sure about punishments and such so what I'm doing now are time outs. I use the time out rule about one minute per age. So since he is 1 year old. I tell him NO in a stern voice and explain to him that we don't do that and then I put him in his playpen and with no toys for one min. I will ignore his crys and when the one minute is up I will go get him and will continue doing what we were doing. Is it normal for him to get so angry???

Last edited by littleone314; 05-21-2004 at 01:28 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2004, 04:30 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

MandyAnne26 HB User
Re: Why is he so angry?

I think to a certin extent it is. Since he can't express with words he's expressing with actions. I would keep up what you are doing. He'll figure out pretty quick that hitting isn't getting him what he wants. What i do with my 21 month old daughter is just put her down and not even look at her utill she's ready to not hit. I tell her no, it's not nice etc generealy thats all i have to do and she stops. For your son it sounds like a control issue, there are many times durring a childs development when they try to push the limits and gain control the important thing is that you don't give in, if you do that'll just give him incentive to do it again, he needs to learn that every time he hits he will go into time out once he understands that he'll probably start to improve.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2004, 08:20 PM   #3

usedtobefrosty HB User
Re: Why is he so angry?

Sounds EXACTLY like my 14 month old daughter. She's started trying to kick me lately. And yes, it is normal. What I usually do is one of 3 things, and it all depends on how bad her tantrum is.
1- Pick her up and put her on the other side of the room or in her crib, away from me, but where she is safe to kick and scream until she's worn out.
2-Pick her up under her arms and hold her face in front of mine (but far enough away that she can't hit me), look her straight in the eye and tell her "you do not hti me. if oyu are not going to be nice you will not get what you want". She may not understand all the words, but she gets the meaning.
If she's throwing a HUGE fit... 3- I pick her up, turn her around so her back is against my tummy, and I hold her and tell her I love her while she kicks and screams until she clams down.
Now, I don't know how big your child is, but mine is the size of a 2 year old boy, so although some may not agree with my holding her against me, sometimes it is the only way I can stop her from hurting me or herself. I hope it helps.

Closed Thread