It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2004, 10:28 AM   #1

southernchick HB User
Question My 4 year old........

has oral thrush and I was wondering if any oy you other mommies out there has had a child that old to get oral thrush?I know babies get it and that you can get it after being on antibiotics but she has not taken any antibiotics.The only thing I can think of is that she has a blanket that she puts in her mouth and sucks on alot...she has had this blanket ever since she has been alive and it gets pretty nasty at times...Could that be causing the thrush?Anybody have any ideas? Thanks

Old 05-22-2004, 01:16 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommyof4 HB User
Re: My 4 year old........

Thrush is simply a yeast infection in your mouth. The blanket wouldn't cause the thrush because the yeast live in your digestive tract. Is she on any therapy for it now? You can give her yogurt with active cultures which will help. You can also take her into the Dr where they will use a paint treatment called Gentian Violet. It is actually violet and will stain clothing so be careful with it. They can also give her a prescription for Diflucan or oral Nystatin.

Thrush is painful also and makes the mouth feel raw so she might cut down on eating and drinking until it subsides. Yeast can overgrow anytime the immune system is down so there is really no telling how she got the thrush but it is easily treatable. Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread