It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2004, 08:55 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

lane71501 HB User
hey littleone

the mods will probably close the old thread soon! gosh it's long! party went great. until the end when my mom decided to try to push all my buttons, but that's a long story. finding nemo was the theme. cutting the cake and doing presents was extremely chaotic. nothing like 2 kids on your lap and one stomping on your leg trying to get the the stack of stuff!
based on other issues, we are now thinking very seriously about starting preschool. i know my parents are going to go nuts over this too. actually my mom is since i think she thinks ross is hers and with her its her way or she will try to brow beat you into doing things her way (using guilt, preying on your insecurities, etc). anyway, for anyone else reading this, what age did you start "school" for your kids? and do you think the transition from being the only one at home to a room of other kids was rough?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2004, 09:26 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

littleone314 HB User
Re: hey littleone

I thought they would close it awhile ago and was surprised to see that they let it go as far as they did. Thank you for starting a new one.

That's great! I'm glad to hear the party went well. This whole house hold LOVES the Finding Nemo movie. I think it's adorable.

What happened with your mom? I'm glad you didn't let it ruin the whole party Did Ross's new cousin get to make it?

Your mother sounds my grandma. She feels since she raised 4 kids that she is an expert on child rearing. Her fav. saying is "well I did this with _____ (fill in the blank with a name of her children) and they turned out fine." IT drives me insane!!!!! I know she means well but I need to raise my child MY way. Know what I mean ???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2004, 09:51 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

lane71501 HB User

she was just being her usual overbearing self. nothing really happened until after the party thinned out. she just started her usual junk like you were talking about. the more i think about it the more i know i need to leave it alone and remind myself that i am doing a good job with beinga mom, wife, etc and that i do not need her approval to validate myself. gotta run in a few minutes. time for lunch and i have to run errands (pay bills and check out 2more preschools). i don't think we will actually get him started until the fall, but nows the time to start looking.

Old 05-26-2004, 10:38 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

MandyAnne26 HB User

Just butting in about the preschool question. I put my kids into preschool the year before they started school. Mostly for the socialization aspects of it. My son was 4 and did well, he had some trouble completing some of the work, but i don't think his preschool was very organized, there was a lot of free play. My daughter was 5, because of when her birthday is she'll be almost 6 when she starts regular school. She did work books, did the alphabet, numbers, she can write her name and that sort of thing, more organized than the one my son went to,they both had crafts and pictures that they would bring home. Both of my kids loved it, depending on how many and how often your son plays with other children i think it is very important that they learn to play with others, share, start to learn how to deal with conflict and also to follow instruction to sit and do "work" when needed to sit and listen when needed etc. What age you choose is up to you, i know here they generaly don't go any younger than 3, but with both of my kids most of the kids in preschool were 4-5. Some kids are ready for it at 3 and could benifit from it, some may not because they aren't mature enough yet, there were a few kids at my daughters preschool who were only there a few weeks because they had such bad seperation anxiety and just weren't ready for it.

Old 05-26-2004, 01:46 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

lane71501 HB User

hey mandy & littleone
just got back from my long lunch which i used to go visit 3 more schools. i saw differences in all. mandy, the one i looked at tuesday seemed to be along the lines of what you are talking about with a lot of free play. the teacher really did not get into the "school " aspect too much. one of the teachers i talked to today was really helpful and seemed excited about what she did and the kids. of course, all summer programs are full, so it looks like fall will probably be when we start. i totally agree that it is important they learn how to interact with other kids as well as how to deal with structured days.
if y'all have the chance or like being on the water, take your kids out in the boat! we took ross out yesterday and he loved it! he helped steer for a while, but we totally kep him away from the throttle! loves to go fast!
have a great afternoon!

Closed Thread