It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2004, 08:47 AM   #1

alynnr HB User
Milk sensitivity

I'm not sure which board to post this on, so I'll start here..............I have a three year old who was breastfed a year, then I tryed to put him on cow's milk but it made him very upset at his stomach within minutes and he'd break out in rashes, so we put him on soy milk. He'd been on soy for a year and then we decided it might not be too good for him so we put him back on real milk last summer. ARound this time he was in the terrible two's and he had really bad tantrums mostly just around me, some around my husband and rarely around friends (they didn't understand what I was dealing with, going crazy and wanting to hurt him because he'd yell at me, scream, kick and if I put him in his rooom, he'd yell for 30 mins, which I couldn't take) So, a couple of weeks ago I was talking to my mom about him and these fits and we had noticed on days he had less milk he was much better (less bouncing off walls, less arguing, easier to get along with, WAY LESS YELLING) so we took him off milk and he's a different kid. Even sleeping BETTER!!!! So, my question is this, what is this, an allergy??? A sensitivity, could it be the hormones in milk?? I have a friend who went through this exact same thing, she is why I even thought to try to take him off milk and see what would happen. Her child was diagnosed as ADD, that's how bad milk makes them act. They go crazy and are impulsive and unruly. anyone ever hear of this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2004, 09:00 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

MandyAnne26 HB User
Re: Milk sensitivity

you really should consult your doctor if you think he has a milk allergy or sensativity. I have never heard of an allergy showing up and behavioural problems, but i'm not doctor and if it worked than maybe that is the cause. But milk is very very important. Not the milk so much as the vitamins and minerals that are found in milk, vitamin d and calcium are 2 of the important ones. i would caution against soy milk in any great quantity because it does have estrogen in it and too much can cause other problems. Make a doctors appointment and go from there. can he tolerate cheese or yougert? since your son had problems early on with cow's milk than he very well could have issues, but you need to talk them over with your doctor and if he needs to stay away from milk than you need to talk about supplements and foods he may need to make up for the loss of calcium and other nutrients found in milk.

Old 05-25-2004, 03:11 PM   #3

alynnr HB User
Re: Milk sensitivity

We've talked to a doctor from the moment he showed sensitivity to milk, which was at a year old. The doctor told me he couldn't tell at that age whether it was an allergy or lactose intolerance, but put him on soy milk. When I asked the doctor about the estrogen factor he was unconcerned and seemed unaware of the new information that questions whether boys should be careful how much soy they consume. That's when we put him back on cow's milk, after much debate. He seemed to do fine, no more rashes and it did make his poop solid again, which was nice. But, he is back on soy milk now. I see no reason to be concerned about calcium. Soy milk has five percent more calcium than regular milk (the brand we have anyway). And he's always been a big milk drinker (four or more cups till recently).

Closed Thread