It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2004, 03:30 PM   #1
Veteran

Falynsmommy HB User
Still has umbilical stump??

Hello all. My daughter is 4 weeks and 4 days old today and she still has her umbilical stump! Since day one I have taken very good care of, not getting it wet, and putting alcohol on it at least once a day but it still has not fallen off. It is loose at the top and there is a tiny amount of discharge around it. It has been like that for about a week and a half now. I called the doctor today and the nurse was surprised she still had it and set up an appointment for us for Friday to look at it. I just wondered if anyone had experienced this with their child or knew anyone who did. Also, if anyone knows of a way to speed up this process please let me know. I want to give my daughter a bath! Thanks in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2004, 09:41 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

bellestar HB User
Re: Still has umbilical stump??

Hi! My daughter lost hers at 5 weeks but only because the Dr. put some medicine on it and he said he helped "freeze it" and it fell off three days later. I don't remember what it was that he put on it but it is like the same stuff they use to freeze off warts. Hang in there!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2004, 10:08 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

MandyAnne26 HB User

leave it alone. With my first two kids they put the purple/black stuff on it right away and said to clean it with alcohol, my sons fell of after a few wks, my daughters was on about a month (no infection, it just didn't want to come off), with my last child, (born aug of 2002) they did nothing, they put none of that dark stuff on it, no alcohol, said she could have a regular bath right away...guess what it was off in less than a week. I asked and they said they have found out that just leaving it alone is the best for it, that all the stuff they make you do to it (alcohol, the stuff they put on in the hospital) actually keeps it on there longer and with the new methods they usually fall off within a week to 10 days. Of course they will check to make sure it's not infected but i say just leave it alone. With the new way to treat it it dries up within a day or two and falls off pretty quickly. It's a shame not all hospitals are doing this. Just keep an eye on it, and of course the doctor will let you know what to do if it appears infected.

Old 06-02-2004, 11:47 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

DS had his for 4 weeks until the doctor removed it. He was in NICU and at week three one of his doctors said, I suppose you're wondering why it's still there? It's because of all the iv antibiotics he's on. They don't let nature take its course and let the stump "rot off". Ewwww!

Old 06-03-2004, 07:19 PM   #5
Veteran

Falynsmommy HB User

Well it finally fell off today. She is exactly five weeks old today. I noticed that when it came off, it still looked sort of wet and gooey underneath, so I called the doctors office and spoke to the nurse. She said to go ahead and keep our appointment for tomorrow because it could be what's called a granuloma. If it is, the doctor will apply the silver nitrate to freeze it and dry it up. I had never heard of this before, has anyone else?

Thanks to everyone who replied. It has been so long since I've had a small baby (my other daughter is 8 yrs old), I've forgotten some of this stuff. Thanks for the advice.

Old 06-04-2004, 11:44 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

bellestar HB User

That is what the Dr. put on my daughter's! Silver Nitrate! It helped it fall up and heal up within a few days. All is good!

Old 06-06-2004, 07:13 PM   #7
(female)

fouradss HB User

Falyn,

Lauren's stump fell off at 2 weeks exactly. However it was kinda moist and yellow when it came off. I was told this is normal, and as it continued to dry up it went away. (Kinda gross if you ask me!) LOL But now at 6 weeks she has the cutest little button.

Alicia

Old 06-06-2004, 08:58 PM   #8
Veteran

Falynsmommy HB User

Alicia,

Hey girl! It's been awhile. Hope everything is going good with Lauren. Everything is great here. Addyson seems to be a little colicy but is otherwise healthy and happy. The colic, if it is that, doesn't seem to be very bad so that is a good thing.

We took her to the doctor for the stump on friday, and he was going to use the Silver Nitrate on it but decided not to and wait and see how it did over the weekend. It still looks the same to me so I have to call them back tomorrow. With Falyn, my 8 year old, hers fell off really soon and wasn't like this so it kind of freaked me out. Well girl, keep in touch and we can compare stories since our girls are only a week apart. Take care!

Mandy

Old 06-07-2004, 08:50 AM   #9
(female)

fouradss HB User

Mandy,

Hopefully it will come off soon! It was so fun to give a real bath.

Lauren is doing good. Was up to 9 lbs last Monday. (wow they grow fast) Glad Addyson is overall doing well. We have started to get smiles regularly. That is the best feeling!

Alicia

Old 06-07-2004, 12:01 PM   #10
Veteran

Falynsmommy HB User

Alicia,

Her stump actually fell off on thursday last week, now we are waiting on the raw area underneath it to heal. I think my pediatrician is getting too old because he was very indecisive on friday at her appointment. He even forgot how old she was. He has been a pediatrician for a long time though. He was even my doctor when I was little. It may be time to look for another, I just hate to do that because he knows our whole family history.

Glad to hear that Lauren is doing well. Addyson weighed 9 lbs 8 ozs on friday. The nurse said she is a little chubby for her height. LOL! She doesn't look chubby though. The nurse said that's fine though so I'm okay with it. Addy smiles at us too. It is a wonderful feeling. What date exactly was Lauren born on? Also, have you went back to work yet or do you work? Addy was born on April 30th, and I have my 6 week checkup on June 14th. I'll be going back to work on the 15th. I'm kind of looking forward to it though, since I'll only be going back part time. Anyway, take care and I'll talk to ya soon.

Mandy

Closed Thread