It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2004, 08:48 PM   #1

lil'momma HB User
how to get baby use to crib

I've been trying to get my baby use to his crib for almost a month now. He is 8 mths. old and I had him in the bassinett for 7 months.(way to long....I know) when he was in his bassinett I could lay him down at the same time every night and he would go straight to sleep and sleep all night. I lay him in the crib and he just cries and cries so I end up most of the time putting him in the bed with me and my husband. Sometimes he will be already a sleep when I put him in the crib but then he just wakes up crying, most of the time as soon as I put him down in it though. Oh I hate to see him cry and hold his arms out for me to pick him up... It breaks my heart and then I give in and get him. Any suggestions, I have tried everything. Last night he did finally sleep in it all night, I had to get in the crib with him..(lol) and just talked to him and rub his head until he went to sleep but tonight that didn't work and I had to let him cry.Luckily he didn't cry that long . Maybe he is starting to get use to it. Any suggestions? Should I let him cry it out or what?

Old 06-10-2004, 09:37 PM   #2

usedtobefrosty HB User
Re: how to get baby use to crib

As long as he isn't hysterical, I would let him fuss it out. Just make sure he knows you're there. Sing to him, rub his back, etc... But don't pick him up unless he is really upset. It won't take him long to get used to it, and better now then later!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2004, 10:00 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

bellestar HB User

I have to agree. You are going to have to let him fuss. I have a 10 month dd and when go visit my parents she has to sleep in the pack and play and she not use to it so it takes a few nights before she will sleep through the night. He is just use to his bassinett and he feels safe. He might not feel safe in the crib yet. It is new. Just reassure him you are there and all will be ok. Hang in there!!

Old 06-12-2004, 04:55 PM   #4

gillian30 HB User

I disagree strongly with allowing a baby to cry things out. I think I'm in the minority on this particular board when it comes to my opinion on this matter, but that's the way I feel. Babies always cry for a reason, and let's face it, it ain't easy being 8 months old and nervous and trying to get used to a new arrangement! There are about a dozen compassionate and sympathetic strategies you can use including swaddling, making a "shh" sound gently into the baby's ears, turning the baby on its side, holding them, rocking them, making sure they have something to suck on until they are calm, and many others. Parents are sooo worried nowdays that by comforting a baby, they are spoiling them or setting them up for bad habits, but guess what? They'll develop some bad habits anyway! Not that I'm saying that is a good thing, but comforting them in a kind and understanding way will NEVER be a wrong choice. You can never be at risk for paying too much attention to an 8 month old, and it sounds like you're doing things the loving way, which is great. There are some great books out there, too, like ones by Dr.William Sears, that offer many ideas on how to make this transition an easier time, without letting you or the baby suffer. Good luck!

Old 06-12-2004, 06:50 PM   #5

usedtobefrosty HB User

Gillian, I agree that you should not let a baby "cry it out" so to speak, but a little fussing is not going to hurt a baby as long as they know you are there. And I agree that you should be there until your baby falls asleep, rubbing their back, shhhhing them, etc... But I also know that at some point a baby/toddler/child has to learn to fall asleep on their own. It makes things easier for them in the long run, and easier for you as well. When they are past the 6 month mark, MOST babies can learn to sleep on their own very quickly (usually in a week or less). I was not fortunate enough to have one of those babies, and my daughter still needs to be rocked, sang to, etc... every night to get to sleep. She is 15 months old now and sometimes it can take over an hour to get her to sleep. All I was trying to say in my earlier post, is that if your baby will go to sleep with a little fussing, and without getting hysterical, then a person should encourage it and help that baby learn to sleep on their own. Oh, and another great book is called The No-Cry Sleep Solution. It worked for tons of my friends, but not for me!

Old 06-16-2004, 11:41 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

beabonnet HB User

My brother and his wife had a problem wtih their baby sleeping in the crib. The only way they could get her to sleep was if she slept in their bed with them. The doctor suggested that they take a tshirt that the baby's mom had worn all day and to put that in the crib. It had to be big enough so it could be tucked in on the sides like a sheet so that it would come out and be a hazard to the baby. It had to do with the baby getting comfort from her mother's scent. They tell me it worked and she sleeps in her crib now.

Closed Thread