It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2004, 08:00 AM   #1

TimHeather HB User
Getting young child to listen

I have a 16 month old son. He is very well behaved. It is just some of the small things he does that drives me up the wall. Like when I am doing the dishis. He brings the chair over and wants to help,,,play in the water. I say no. Take the chair back to the table, he starts to scream and does it again. I don't give in to him. But he won't stop. He just makes everything take 3 times as long. The thing is he doesn't do this to his father just me. I can't figure out why. It's not just that there are other things too. I mean as a 16 month old he can only understand so much. So I'm not sure how I should communicate with him. I mean I talk to him, but he doesn't understand everything I'm saying. He only says like 5 words himself. Also when I say no to him, he looks at me and he's like un. It's like his way of talking back. So I say no again he says un again and so on, then he'll start crying after going back and forth afew times. He also loves my computer. I always have to take my computer chair away from the desk and put it in a room and shut the door so that he can't play with it. If the chair is there, he gets up on, starts to play with the mouse, and keyboard,,,witch are both very expensive,,,$200 we paid for the two of them, so you can see why I don't want him to touch them. But I just feel I shouldn't have to take the chair away, he should be able to learn certain things are not for him to play with. Like I said, he doesn't do this when his Daddy's home. I don't back down. I say no. I ignore his tantrums but yet he continues these annoying things. I mean hey, he is way better than alot of children I know. He is very good in public. He's not shy, he has a great personality. I just need to find some new way of getting through to him the meaning of no. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2004, 03:12 PM   #2

Belkin HB User
Re: Getting young child to listen

Children love to be helpers when they are little and then when they are big enough to be real help they are not interested!!

Your son is curious, wants to do things with mommy. Have you tried giving him something to play with/do on small table next to you while you are working at the sink? Little ones like to be included. Don't be surprised if he does not play with/do what you give him for more than a few seconds, their attention span is very short. Give him a wet/damp rag and let him wash front of kitchen cabinets or frig. Little things like that might be interesting for him.

Do you spend undivided time with your son during the day or is he just in your presence as you do other things with little attention? Lack of undivided attention may cause a child to beg for attention, even negative attention.

Remember, little ones your son's age have a short attention span and short memory. Do not expect him to remember things you tell him no about for very long. Over time he will learn but not with first time being told no. Little ones love to push buttons, open things to see what is in there, etc. They are curious and exploring their territory. Best to childproof your house, that is things you do not want ruined or broken put away or behind doors, but, leave a few things out so he will learn what "no" means, but, if it gets broken it will not be a great loss. Children learn by immitating their parents.

Closed Thread