It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2004, 02:49 PM   #1

montanawomyn HB User
Angry My 5 y/o boy is peeing in the house

My son is going to be 5 in a couple of weeks. He has been potty trained since 3. In the past month he has been peeing in the heater vents and on his carpet. He just did it again today. He had not been in trouble and had not been acting out. I think he is a fairly average boy of this age. Is this some kind of horrible stage? What kind of punishment do you give for using the floor as a toilet? I didn't do anything about it this time, because I am so angry. HELP!

Old 06-19-2004, 10:06 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User
Re: My 5 y/o boy is peeing in the house

Maybe you should confront your son and ask him why he's been piddling on the floor. If he says something like "...'cuz" or "I dunno..." then I think a warning might be in order. But if he continues to relieve himself on your carpet despite your warnings, then punishment is in order. Some people say that reasoning with kids is a good thing, but that's like reasoning with a cat for taking a poo on your comforter. I would say the best thing is a light love tap on his behind will work. Not hard but enough to feel.

But before doing any punishments, consider this: perhaps he has some kind of urinary tract badness going on? I have no clue if kids as young as 5 can even have such problems but who knows.

As said, if he's doing this of his own free will then a hide tanning should be on the menu. Best of luck to you with this sticky situation.

Dark Stranger - "Use the rod, beat the child...that's my motto."

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2004, 11:30 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

beabonnet HB User

I would give your pedetrician a call or a visit and see if there's a medical problem causing this before you start any warning/punishment. A child that age could have a urinary problem, either an infection or a small bladder, etc.

Old 06-23-2004, 12:12 PM   #4

Twins aboard HB User

My oldest is 5 also-he did something like this about a year ago. Only it was in his toybox and his garbage can-YUCK!! The first thing I did was ask 'why?' I got I dont know-his punishement was I threw out all the toys that he peed on-there was no way I was going to wash them all. At 5 they are old enough to understand what is right and what is wrong-IMO. Maybe he just wants attention? Kids do strange things sometimes-if you think it is something medical definatley call his ped, but if not then some sort of punishment is in order, take away his favorite toy-or TV privelages for a day.

Old 06-23-2004, 12:35 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User

Hello, There can be lots of reasons. The main thing to do is to talk to your child. Try to find out why and explain why it is wrong to pee anywhere you like and be graphic and discusting....For example: "It's not a good idea to pee on the carpet, because the smell stays in the carpet causing lots of little bugs to crawl all over the place."..."Don't pee in the register, because it can get into your lungs and make you sick." Here are some of my ideas why he may be doing it...

1. Simply copying what the dog does, if you have one. After all the dog is his best friend.

2. Not getting enough attention from Mommy and Daddy...Maybe he feels your spending more time with a family pet, a baby or younger sibling, etc.

3. He's have some difficulties or problems in his life and doesn't know how to cope with it...problems at a day care center, etc.

4. The bathroom is just too far away and by the time he realizes he has to go, he really doesn't want to leave what he is doing to go to the bathroom to pee....He could be too engrossed in playing with a favorite toy.

5. Waiting too long to go to the bathroom, then feeling way to much pressure/urgency to pee.

6. Same reason some dogs do..."I'm mad at you."...To punish you for what they feel you did wrong.

Closed Thread