It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2004, 03:48 PM   #1

7YellowRoses HB User
Question Potty training 3 yr old boy- HELP!

My son turned 3 in March. I am looking for advice on getting him potty trained. Some days he will use the toilet just fine, but other days he insists on wearing diapers. Sometimes he will tell you when he has to pee, sometimes he has accidents. Most of the time, he will not poop in the toilet, but rather wants a diaper on and will hide somewhere to do the deed. If I notice him acting like he needs to poop and try and get him to the toilet, he usually refuses. I think a part of the problem is inconsistancy- he is bounced back and forth between my house, dad's house, grandma's (when I work) and the daycare center. I know you are supposed to coordinate with everyone on this, but his dad's house is not always cooperative.

Anyone have some advice on this? Should I refuse to put a diaper on him anymore? (excpet maybe a pull up at night) I have tried the candy thing, but like some moms mentioned in other threads, that doesn't always work.

Old 06-19-2004, 07:49 PM   #2

Fur-ball HB User
Re: Potty training 3 yr old boy- HELP!

Hi,

I just potty trained my 3 year old boy, and it was VERY difficult. He just didn't seem to care that he was peeping and pooping in his pull-up.We tried everything... The only thing that worked to change his toon is when we bought him a 2 wheel bike with training wheels, and removed the seat before we gave it to him. (I know cruel, but he needed a bribe). As soon as he made it 2 days without an accident he was allowed the seat, but, if he were to have an accident the seat was to be removed for the entire day. OHHH.. it was soo cruel, but it worked SOOO well. It has now been a month and he even sleeps through the night dry and have I yet to change a poopy diaper.

Good Luck

Ocean

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2004, 05:09 PM   #3
Inactive

mommaboyz HB User

when my oldest son was 3 i trained him the big thing for me was dont spank them ever for it. as for the pooping my son wouldnt poop in the toilet for a long time and someone told me to get this book and I did and it helped him alot. Its called Everyone Poops. Its a childrens book. Try that and see.

Old 06-22-2004, 04:28 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

MandyAnne26 HB User

Send him to his fathers with no diapers and a potty seat. My son would poop in his pants for months after he was fully trained, that is a problem lots of children have, my almost 23 month old will pee on the potty but she needs a pullup on to poop and at her age i'm shocked that she'll even pee on the potty at her age so i'm not pushing the pooping thing..i generaly know when it's coming so i stick a pullup on her quick. At your sons age i would take all diapers away, tell him there is no more (maybe some at night if he's not dry through the night but i would put some plastic on his bed if he's in a regular bed and just do the extra laundry for a week or two). He needs to be wet, let him feel wet, let him experience that it's not fun being all wet (i believe huggies makes a pull up now that lets the child feel the wetness but not soak through...you may want to try those).
My son was trained literaly over night (other than the pooping in his pants), he had diapers one day and none the next, he was almost 3, he had no choice but to pee on the potty. Try different things too, for my 23 month old, she will go if there is a potty seat on the regular toilet but will not go on a potty chair. Also, for boys, put some cherios or fruiloops in the toilet to have him aim for them...make it fun. But his father needs to know that he needs to be using a toilet at his house also. I

Old 06-22-2004, 06:04 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

Bothrops HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7YellowRoses
My son turned 3 in March. I am looking for advice on getting him potty trained. Some days he will use the toilet just fine, but other days he insists on wearing diapers. Sometimes he will tell you when he has to pee, sometimes he has accidents. Most of the time, he will not poop in the toilet, but rather wants a diaper on and will hide somewhere to do the deed. If I notice him acting like he needs to poop and try and get him to the toilet, he usually refuses. I think a part of the problem is inconsistancy- he is bounced back and forth between my house, dad's house, grandma's (when I work) and the daycare center. I know you are supposed to coordinate with everyone on this, but his dad's house is not always cooperative.

Anyone have some advice on this? Should I refuse to put a diaper on him anymore? (excpet maybe a pull up at night) I have tried the candy thing, but like some moms mentioned in other threads, that doesn't always work.
My son has the same problem and there is no daycare, my wife and I are happily married and he sees his grandparents every other weekend, with us there. I think a lot of 3 year old boys are the same, I doubt it has anything to do with living arangements. My girl was potty trained at 2 and has been very good about it. Boys are slower , I think.

Give it some time,

Derek

Old 06-26-2004, 02:56 AM   #6
Inactive

Laurie2 HB User

I was lenient with both of mine....letting them set the pace rather than pushing it. When they are that age....they are wanting to be grownup like their parents but their bodies are not quite "there" yet. Didnt take them long though.

And yes, boys do take longer (having raised a son and daughter)

Old 07-04-2004, 09:12 AM   #7

heatherrl74 HB User

My son was 3 and a half when he became fully potty trained. I did not believe in pull ups because it gives them permission to use them when they want to like diapers. He was very, very difficult. Then one day, he told me that he had to go potty and that was it. He was ready, when he was ready. I couldn't make him do anything. It was like it clicked one day. We threw a party for him, so to speak. We did something that he wanted to do. That way, he knew that what he did was wonderful and he was a big boy now.

My daughter on the other hand was a different story. She was terrified of her poop. She would hold her poop until she couldn't hold it anylonger. She would sit on the potty screaming her head off because she had to go poop, but wouldn't because she was scared of it. (She pooped in the bathtub on accident one time and after that, it was the end of attempting to poop in the potty for a while) One day, after sitting on the potty for a few hours (she would not get up) I told her that I would take her to get a toy and buy her some candy if she pooped in the potty like a big girl. Guess what, it worked and from then on out, I had no problems with her pooping in the potty. I only did the treat that once and made a really big deal out of it. I think I took her to McDonald's as well. We threw a party and she was officially a big girl.

Old 07-08-2004, 10:42 PM   #8

kristi_p HB User

I haven't trained a boy yet but have trained my 2 daughters. I have found out that yo cannot force it. When they are ready it will happen. AT least that is the way it worked for my girls. One had just turned 3 and the other was 2 1/2.
I also got a big bowl, and put different kind of treats in it. SO they would get a reward only if they went potty.

I never used pull ups either. They seem just like diapers to me and also expensive.
The gitrls tok 1-2 days and then I put underwear on them and that was that. I lucked out at night too, they never wet the bed. If they had to go they woke up. It just amazes me how quickly they change and just adjust to waking up instead of peeing like they use to.

Who knows maybe my experience will be totall different when my son is ready.

Just be patient, it will happen.
Good luck.

Last edited by kristi_p; 07-08-2004 at 10:43 PM.

Old 07-15-2004, 02:43 PM   #9

edaisy80 HB User

My oldest so wasn't to hard to potty train. Its kinda funny how I got him to go potty. I was pregnant with my second child. They couldn't tell if the baby was a boy or girl. My son wanted a little sister really bad. He was getting to chose her first name and everything. I told him one day that if he was going to be a big brother he had to be a big boy. The baby needed his diapers. LOL It worked really good. I took him to wal-mart and let him pick out 2 packs of underwear that he wanted. He immediately wanted to wear them. By the second day he was no longer going pee pee in his pants. By the time a week past he was going poopie in the potty too. He was using pull up at night but when the first bag was gone I told him that we could either buy him more pull ups or we could get a movie. Of course he picked the movie. I had a plastic sheet on his bed. He had an ocassional problem at night where he would pee pee on the bed when he was sleeping but after about a month he was completely potty trained. He aslo like to show everyone that he had big-boy pants and let them know that his baby sister was going to get his diapers because she was too little to go potty. About 3 months later the baby was born. Guess what it wasn't a girl it was a boy so of course he wasn't happy for about 3 day and then when we came home from the hospital and he was able to help me bath him and feed him he was ok with having a brother. He has since recieved a baby sister. He's 9 now she's 2. He tells me that if I have another girl that he's going to send it to live with grandma because their too bad. LOL

Closed Thread