It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2004, 05:14 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

besafe20 HB User
Angry mother in law GRRRR

Ok tell me if I am overracting here as my husband says so. We are living with his parents for the summer before dental school starts. His mother and I have had a rocky start to begin with. Anyways my car was parked in the drive way and she was getting ready to leave for the weekend. The trailor hitch was on without her knowing it and she backed out of the garage and hit my car. The car is dented and the paint is scraped off. She called my husband and told him what happened and said sorry. He told her that I was gonna be upset in a joking way. Well she said "just remind her who pays for her insurance." Ok I never asked her to pay for it she just did cause her insurance was 1/2 the cost of mine and it would save a ton of money for us. Anyways I was wondering why she never talked to me on the phone since it was MY car. Anyways she came home and hasn't said a word to me about it. No appology no nothing. She didn't even say anything like dont worry cause shed pay for it. I am kind of offended that she did this 3 days ago and hasn't said anything. There are more things I am upset about. Basically involving the baby. She ignores my concerns and does things her way. I am stressed

Old 06-22-2004, 04:19 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

MandyAnne26 HB User
Re: mother in law GRRRR

I don't think you are over reacting at all. I think that her not telling you and esp expecting you to pay for it shows a lack of respect on her part. The only thing i mind wonder is if she didn't tell you because of the reaction she may get? i don't know what kind of relationship you guys have together, but maybe she was avoiding a fight? As far as everything else, it's hard, you don't want to fight, but yet you don't want her walking all over you, especially as a mother. Try to sit down with her and talk to her and let her know that there are certin things you like done your way when it comes to the baby. If she's like my mother in law she'll either ignore you or comment on it every chance she gets (my sil doesn't let her smoke around her baby, which she shouldn't and should know better, but still she has to be reminded and constantly makes comments like i can't smoke cause the baby is so pure etc...she basicly makes fun of the fact that my sil doens't want her baby smoked around). All i can suggest is get out of her house asap...there isn't much you can do while living with her, you can't fight too much over it because it'll just create stress for everybody, try to make the most out of it and if possible avoid her at all costs. This is assuming she isn't willing to talk to you to try and improve your relationship. Also, what does your husband do? does he stand up for you? would he be willing to talk to his mother on your behalf? Summer is here, just spend a lot of time walking, going to the park, to the beach, or wherever, focus on your baby and all the good things in your life right now.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2004, 06:33 PM   #3
Inactive

matt'smom HB User

Here is a new philosohy that I live by when it comes to in laws or anyone else for that matter: If you don't have high expectations of people, you will never be let down.

I realize that it's a waste of time trying to change people, or having my husband speak up to his family for me. It's not gonna happen for me, so, I just pick my battles.

Good luck! Just ignore it.

Matt's mom

Old 07-04-2004, 09:44 AM   #4

heatherrl74 HB User

I would talk to her. I agree with the other two posts. Both are good advice. I have a MIL that is her own person and is as stubborn as a mule. I feel for you!!!! I would also get out of there asap, but while you are there. Talking is the best solution. If she won't listen, talk to you husband about how your feel and have him talk to her.

Closed Thread