It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2004, 09:48 AM   #1

whowhat HB User
1 yr old birthday mess...

my daughter Aulivia is turning 1 on the 7th of JULY, she was born on my dads and brothers birthday. my step mom is trying to plan something for all 3 of them like a BBQ but since my brother is turning 21 and my dad is turning 57 we decided we pretty much have it mainly for Aulivia. but my sister called me and she said that my step mom said it is going to be on that weekend... but cuz more ppl have those days off....am i selfish for wanting her birthday party on the day she was born? what do u all think?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2004, 12:18 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User
Re: 1 yr old birthday mess...

I don't think your selfish. It's a milestone. Your child's FIRST birthday. And like Xmas, I think birthdays should be for the kids, not the grownups.

DS turned on on the 1st and we had several relatives insist we celebrate the birthday the weekend before. Those who couldn't attend the real birthday dropped off gifts beforehand. Went out for dinner with the grandparents, and then went back to our house for cake and presents -- had friends stop by for cake and ice cream. DS was a trooper, but opening all his presents DID get to be a big production, so I ended up opening most of them while he played with the boxes. Plus, if there are a whole bunch of people and too much going on, we didn't want him to get overly tired and become a crabby little boy.

Last edited by Ratatosk; 06-24-2004 at 12:19 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2004, 04:50 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

MandyAnne26 HB User

I don't see the big deal about what day you have it. Why not just have it in the evening when most people aren't working? feed them supper or whatever. I personaly only have my kids parties on the weekends...but i have attended several birthday parties that were durring the week, they just tend to be later in the day...a suppertime party rather than a lunchtime or afternoon party. It's your choice, the people who don't like it are just going to have to put up with it.

Old 06-25-2004, 11:46 AM   #4

whowhat HB User

i know she doesn't understand since she is 1 but it is important to me cuz it is her first birthday and I was planning on somethign later cuz my oldest daughter madison has a summer thing she goes to all day long on wed. so I was planning on having it at 5 ish or something but I guess if nobody wants to show then it will be me and her siblings and daddy....

Old 06-25-2004, 12:23 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

We had just planned to have a small get together -- both sets of grandparents joining us for dinner and then having cake afterwards at home and open presents. DS had gotten roseola and an ear infection the weekend before and we were worried a big birthday bash might be too much.

DH and I both have siblings who make a huge production out of every birthday for both themselves and their children. Sometimes it just gets to be too much. Having an early dinner with presents and cake at home afterwards was nice.

Old 06-26-2004, 12:57 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommyof4 HB User

Since the party is really for you, which all 1st birthdays are , I would just have your immediate family there to celebrate. You and your Dh are plenty of people for her as to her, her whole world will be there

Then, I would go to the family party that weekend. You can just tell people that you wanted to celebrate in a simple way. Good luck

Closed Thread