It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2004, 08:07 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

hayley0610 HB User
5th disease anyone heard of this??

my 8 yr old has this i thought it was hives...any input??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2004, 08:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommyof4 HB User
Re: 5th disease anyone heard of this??

It's actually a virus. It lasts for about a week to 10 days. You feel like you have the flu and develop a rash. It is highly contagious but the person is only contagious BEFORE the rash. It can be problematic for pregnant women.

I hope she gets to feeling better soon

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2004, 10:51 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

hayley0610 HB User

thank you very much mom of 4(me a mom of too) i did read up on some of it but she seems ok but she is complaining of being very tired lately and i didnt really see that asa symptom do you know anything about that??

Old 06-25-2004, 04:57 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

MandyAnne26 HB User

Symptoms develop 4 to 14 days after exposure to the virus. Initial symptoms usually resemble a mild flu, sometimes followed by a bright red rash on the face, and later a blotchy rash on the body. The rash usually fades within 2 to 5 days and may reappear with exposure to sunlight, warm temperatures, or stress.

Joint pain and swelling, lasting several weeks or even months, and headache may also occur. Adults develop these symptoms more often than children.

During outbreaks of fifth disease, as many as 50% of infected people do not develop a rash and approximately 25% of people infected do not have any symptoms.

In uncomplicated cases, home treatment (including rest, fluids, and pain relievers) is usually the only care needed for fifth disease. If complications develop, close monitoring by a health professional or hospitalization may be required.

This is what i copied from a website. My daughter had this when she was 3, it was gone pretty quickly and she really didn't have any noticable side effects other than a bright red rash from her knees to her belly button (looked worse than it was i think, it didn't seem to bother her). From what i remember from i read i think it is very common and i know from with my daughter it really didn't stick around long.

Old 06-25-2004, 08:22 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommyof4 HB User

I would assume that it would be just like the flu in that it leaves you feeling drained. I would probably stair step Tylenol and Advil for pain relief and body aches. The Advil is an anti-inflammatory so that should help her to feel better. I would expect her to feel drained for awhile while her body fights this. Poor baby

Good luck to you all

Old 06-25-2004, 08:26 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

They had to close down an entire school where I teach as it is contagious. All of the kids were getting it. Is your child in school? If so, contact the school. If adults get it, it can be fatal. It is nothing to sneeze at. It seemed like have of the school got it and a lot of the other teachers.

I know that school is out right now in some areas, but there are other areas that are on a quarter system where they go year round. Not sure of your school system.

Tell your child's friends parents.

Closed Thread